Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MissConduct

Burnt hand+playoff game tomorrow night

So I burnt my hand yesterday pretty good.. and I have a playoff hockey game tomorrow night, and a friend told me about 2nd skin, what I wanna know is, is this safe under a hockey glove? Will it fall off or rub on it and make it hurt? lol.. right now the burn is just red, I spent 12hours (till 130am) putting ice on it to make it stop hurting.. so I dunno if it'll blister.. anyways, just wondered if anyone used this 2nd skin stuff.. or had a similiar problem to mine ;) thanks

M

I did this once two hours before a playoff game: grabbed a glass pot handle out of a 500-degree oven - not good.

2nd skin will probably rub off. What you need is a TON of ozonol (or other burn-relief cortizone cream) over the next 12 hours, then before the game, another layer of ozonal, a gauze wrap, and some sturdy medical tape. It'll hurt quite a bit and not give the greatest feel, but it should stave off infection and keep you from completely taking off the skin.

If you have time between periods, get a trainer/someone with clean hands to clean it off, disinfect, and re-bandage as above. If not, just take your glove off every once in a while and check on it.

Well, if you can take the pain of playing with it, I would primarily be concerned about infection. I would put some Aloe Vera lotion on it to try to keep it from rupturing. Maybe get some bactine spray and spray it liberally before, during breaks and after the match. Wash good with soap and water afterwards, and you will probably do ok.

If you had more time, you could disinfect the glove with a Sportwash or Esporta service.

I do not think a 2nd skin is the way to go. You need it to breath, and that stuff will not breath at all. I would just wrap light gauze over it to keep the leather from rubbing. Maybe rebandage during breaks.

Well, if you can take the pain of playing with it, I would primarily be concerned about infection. I would put some Aloe Vera lotion on it to try to keep it from rupturing. Maybe get some bactine spray and spray it liberally before, during breaks and after the match. Wash good with soap and water afterwards, and you will probably do ok.

If you had more time, you could disinfect the glove with a Sportwash or Esporta service.

I do not think a 2nd skin is the way to go. You need it to breath, and that stuff will not breath at all. I would just wrap light gauze over it to keep the leather from rubbing. Maybe rebandage during breaks.

This is a common misconception, that a wound needs to "breath". It is better to keep a wound covered. It will heal faster and be less likely to become infected.

Is your burn open or is it still intact? The second skin wouldn't be a bad idea. Put it on the burn, cover with gauze and then wrap it with tape. Make sure you wash your hands very well after you are done playing.

You mentioned that it wasn't blistered, only red. Assuming that remains the case, and assuming the skin remains intact, I would use the following, if it were my hand. http://www.americarx.com/Products/11520.html. In case the link doesn't work, the product is called Adaptic. Won't stick to skin, wrap it in gauze, probably still hurt like heck though. Can you pop by one of those emergi-centers to be seen? They can let yo know if they think it may blister, greatly increasing both the discomfort and infection risk. You should be able to purchase the product in any drugstore.

lol.. i asked a doctor.. she said "if it blisters try not to break them or your chance of infection is much higher...if the skin is intact but looks fragile (like it would shear off or break easily), I would cover it with a sterile bulky dressing so that the glove does not rub and cause it to break"

sounds like i can play hockey.. doesnt it? LOL

lol.. i asked a doctor.. she said "if it blisters try not to break them or your chance of infection is much higher...if the skin is intact but looks fragile (like it would shear off or break easily), I would cover it with a sterile bulky dressing so that the glove does not rub and cause it to break"

sounds like i can play hockey.. doesnt it? LOL

Do you have a pair of gloves that are larger (or at least roomier) than what you normally wear? You might want some extra room, because the dressing will make everything tighter and rub more.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor.

But since no one has mentioned this, go get some lavender oil at a health food store (make sure it is 100% pure essential oil), and apply a few drops every couple of hours. Make sure you apply it after you wash your hands, and esp. before bed time. Lavender oil helps heal burns like nothing else I have ever seen or used. It's pretty miraculous stuff for burns IMHO.

I am not a doctor (though). But try it now!

palms on my one90's are pretty roomy, the burn is feeling much better then it did last night, so Im hoping with all the ice, soy sauce (dont ask..lol), aloe vera, etc it helped a little.. if I can make it through 1 hour of women's hockey tomorrow, ill be happy.. thanks all for the advice.. I don't have the money to buy any gloves, so thats outta the question.. lol

flyerman Posted Today, 02:58 PM

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor.

But since no one has mentioned this, go get some lavender oil at a health food store (make sure it is 100% pure essential oil), and apply a few drops every couple of hours. Make sure you apply it after you wash your hands, and esp. before bed time. Lavender oil helps heal burns like nothing else I have ever seen or used. It's pretty miraculous stuff for burns IMHO.

I am not a doctor (though). But try it now!

I second that suggestion - lavendar really helps with burns and any kind of skin irritation. I would put some lavendar on the hand wrap the area in gauze, play, wash it well and apply more lavendar oil. I'm not a doctor either, but have used lavendar on burns before and it helps. Aloe Vera is also soothing and I used lavendar a few times a day and aloe a few times a day. Of course this was on a more minor burn - I don't see why it wouldn't help other burns as well though...it'll still take time to heal fully, but lavedar and aloe can certainly help the process.

I'm sure it's a little late now. But if you won and have another game try this. I used to be a paratrooper and have had many blisters treated and driven on. What you want to do is go to Walgreens or CVS whatever get a box of second skin and a box of mole skin. Take a piece of the second skin and cut a piece roughly the size and shape of your burn. Take apiece of mole skin and cut it so that it is 1/2 too 1" wider all the way around than the second skin. Peel the backing off the 2nd skin put it over your burn and then put the mole skin over top of that.

The second skin is a nice cool gel substance and the mole skin is like a big fuzzy all sticky on one side bandage in sheets.

Eliminates most of the pain and provides a good barrier against infection.

This works incredibly well for blisters on your feet as well. I always forced the medics to pop the blister first against their will. They were hesitant due to risk of infection. I used to tell them they weren't the one that had to walk on it. You pop or I will.

Rubber glove? It'd be a decent way to stop it mixing with any funk your gear has.

My thoughts exactly. I've had to do that before when I had a bad cut on a finger.

So i went to walmart & shoppers, and neither had 2nd skin (which I wanted in the first place) so I just used liquid bandaid & played.. lol Burn is fine, blistering slightly, doesn't hurt, cleaned it after game (showered). All is good this A.M, we won our game 1-0, I did all the work and didnt even get an assist! lol.. (im a defencemen, carried the puck all the way in around the net threw it out front, I could have sworn then the girl shot the puck into the net.. found out they gave the assist to someone else.. dammit! lol) oh well.. we're onto the finals.. which isnt till the 30th.. thanks to all for advice ;)

So i went to walmart & shoppers, and neither had 2nd skin (which I wanted in the first place) so I just used liquid bandaid & played.. lol Burn is fine, blistering slightly, doesn't hurt, cleaned it after game (showered). All is good this A.M, we won our game 1-0, I did all the work and didnt even get an assist! lol.. (im a defencemen, carried the puck all the way in around the net threw it out front, I could have sworn then the girl shot the puck into the net.. found out they gave the assist to someone else.. dammit! lol) oh well.. we're onto the finals.. which isnt till the 30th.. thanks to all for advice ;)

Did you show the ref your hand? He might have given you an A for gutting it out with a burned hand.

Glad to hear it worked out with no ill effects.