Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Bathgate and Howell to be "honored"

Not many people are around who actually remember what they looked like in uniform. It's an honor indeed, but about 20 years too late, I think. It's like giving someone the Medal of Honor posthumously - the guy is dead who's getting the award and people don't remember all the details to the event that caused them to give the medal in the first place.

I'd hate to think we're getting banner crazy at The Garden. It's going to take something away from the whole thing. I mean, if we're going to get crazy, let's just raise Avery's #16 to the rafters now and get it all over with.

Not many people are around who actually remember what they looked like in uniform.

Ummmmm..........one was a Ranger into the early 60's and the other as late as 68-69. That isn't all that long ago, champ.

Not many people are around who actually remember what they looked like in uniform.

Ummmmm..........one was a Ranger into the early 60's and the other as late as 68-69. That isn't all that long ago, champ.

Wasn't there an MSH thread not that long ago where someone identified GORDIE HOWE as "the guy on the right"???

btw...Mr. Howell has been honored a few times here by the Bulldogs. he is an ambassador for the team, was named as an All Time Hamilton Hockey Hero and one of the rinks at the Quad Pad is "Harry Howell Rink".

Bathgate and Howell deserve it, if you know your Rangers history. Give full credit to Sather(a Ranger in the 70s, # 6), a classy move by Slats.

It's over 30 years ago, Chump. Some people on here aren't even that old, including myself who just turned 29.

The only thing I know about those guys is what I hear. As much as I'd like to say I saw them play, I didn't.

My point is, why honor them now, over 30 years later? Were they not good enough to deserve going up earlier...or is the organization going jersey retiring crazy. That's all.

No, I think that they finally wised up and started to honor their past. Until a few years ago there were only two, which is low for an 82-year franchise.

Among the Original 6, there are 42 retired numbers. Montreal leads the way with 14 while Toronto has retired only 2. Since 1970, 34 of the 42 numbers have been retired. 4 during the 70s, 10 during the 80s, 7, during the 90s, and 14 since 2000. When the Canadiens retired Geoffrion's # in 2006 and Cournoyer and Moore's #s in 2005, there were plenty of 20something year olds who never saw those Montreal greats play at all. When the Leafs retired Ace Bailey and Bill Barilko's #s in 1992, there were 30somethings and 40somethings who never saw either one play. Did any of these greats deserve to be honored sooner? Yes, but in these cases, as with the Howell and Bathgate, late is better than never.

After the 2 retired Leafs, the Rangers and Blackhawks are tied with 5 retired numbers. Rod Gilbert was the first Ranger in 1979 and Stan Mikita was the first Blackhawk in 1980. The Red Wings have 7 retired numbers and the Bruins have 9.

It's over 30 years ago, Chump. Some people on here aren't even that old, including myself who just turned 29.

The only thing I know about those guys is what I hear. As much as I'd like to say I saw them play, I didn't.

My point is, why honor them now, over 30 years later? Were they not good enough to deserve going up earlier...or is the organization going jersey retiring crazy. That's all.

Such a shame that younger Rangers fans care so little about the history of the team. I will guarantee this, your sentiments would never be echoed if a similar event were occurring with the B's.

Among the Original 6, there are 42 retired numbers. Montreal leads the way with 14 while Toronto has retired only 2. Since 1970, 34 of the 42 numbers have been retired. 4 during the 70s, 10 during the 80s, 7, during the 90s, and 14 since 2000. When the Canadiens retired Geoffrion's # in 2006 and Cournoyer and Moore's #s in 2005, there were plenty of 20something year olds who never saw those Montreal greats play at all. When the Leafs retired Ace Bailey and Bill Barilko's #s in 1992, there were 30somethings and 40somethings who never saw either one play. Did any of these greats deserve to be honored sooner? Yes, but in these cases, as with the Howell and Bathgate, late is better than never.

After the 2 retired Leafs, the Rangers and Blackhawks are tied with 5 retired numbers. Rod Gilbert was the first Ranger in 1979 and Stan Mikita was the first Blackhawk in 1980. The Red Wings have 7 retired numbers and the Bruins have 9.

How many "honored" numbers does Toronto have?

How many "honored" numbers does Toronto have?

Honored Numbers (10)

1 Turk Broda

1 Johnny Bower

7 King Clancy

7 Tim Horton

9 Charlie Conacher

9 Ted Kennedy

10 Syl Apps

10 George Armstrong

27 Frank Mahovlich

27 Darryl Sittler

SOURCE: http://www.statshockey.net/mapleleafs.html