Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mdamson

New Lid Help Request

Well its time to buy a new brain bucket. I would like to get the boards opinion on the following helmets. I am willing to wait a few months so the time of purchase can wait for the new helmets. I currently have a Bauer 8000, and I am satisfied with its fit and construction, but I am willing to consider other helmets. I could give a crap about looks, as I am not one to admire myself in the glass. I would like to get a top of the line, so I am considering the following:

Mission Intake

Bauer 9500

Bauer 8500

CCM Vector

Easton S17

RBK 8K

Please consider that durability, protection and fit are most important. Let me know you opinions on each, and any pluses or minuses in your experience.

Thanks,

Mike D.

There's user reviews on the Intake, Vector, and 8K in the reviews section....the user reviews are always very helpful, and extremely detailed. As far as the S17, and 9500.. they're both pretty new lids, so feedback will be minimal considering most retailers won't even have them in stock yet.

I've not used most of the above but I have been using the 8k for 18 months now so I'll give you some comments about it.

First of all its very comfy, the padding is nice as soft and the wheel at the back keeps it snug to your head. The tool-less adjustment is a nice touch also. Its a very protective helmet and is pretty light.

The downsides I suppose are that it can get very warm wearing one and the sweat does tend to run straight out of it and onto your visor (if you wear one). Also I have noticed that over time sweating causes the comfort padding inside to come loose. Mine hasn't fallen off but you can move it around slightly.

If I was buying a helmet today it would either be the 8k or the Intake.

I own the RBK 8k so here's my take on it:

Durability:

Pretty good, no rusting of the screws yet. Haven't taken any real serious blows but from the few that I have taken, there appears to be no broken plastic or cracked foam.

The biggest fault would be the "speed dial" because like many others have reported, the dial won't stay put. I used to think that it was meant to adjust the the fit around the back of your head but I really have no clue anymore.

Protection:

The helmet looks very well designed and the comfort foams do the job.

I play non-contact but I have fallen in awkward positions and have had collisions without any problems.

Fit:

I currently wear a medium helmet but I could probably fit very comfortably in a large. The helmet feels sort of narrow but feels better once it is warmed up. I tried on my friend's 8500 and I think it is probably a better fitting helmet, at least in terms of comfort, than the 8k. The 8500 has more plush comfort foams but does feel heavier than the 8k (it feels almost weightless). I used to have a ccm 1052, and that was very narrow in comparison to the 8k and not nearly as light.

I've been using the S17 for about six weeks or so and I love it. Extremely comfortable and, in my opinion, a bit narrower and less bulky looking than the other lids. I will tell you that they run on the smallish side. I was a medium, not 100% open in a BNH 4500, and in the S17 I'm in a large fully openend.

I've got the 8K as well and I love it, the previous poster is right about the sweat, but it is a very comfy helmet, if I was rebuying a helmet I'd get the 6K just because as far as I know the only difference is the fit wheel and to me that little thing is pretty much useless, but it doesn't really affect the comfort of my helmet one way or another, my roommate has the 6k and it fits identically and is just as comfortable only cheaper.

Well personally I have used an 8k since they came out Im on #3 now

But I wore an intake for a bit It was nice, breathed well but didnt fit me quite as good as the rbk...and I tried the intake fusion on in my shop and Im not a fan of the foam in that.

Ive tried the easton on (when the rep was showing the new line) and again its nice I just didnt like how it fit.

as far as the CCM and 9500, havnt tried either so I cant really speak for them

Curious as how you're using the S17 when it isn't certified yet...

I didnt use it, just looked at it and tried it on...I forgot theyre not certified yet

Please consider that durability, protection and fit are most important

Those top end helmets all fit different heads. The Vector was the only one I could get my head into staying under $100 (didn't try the S17, 9500 as they weren't out and couldn't find an 8500 in L/XL at the time)

Anyway, I found the Intake, 8/6K, and Vector all fit pretty differently.

I went with the Vector as it had a good price tag and fits really well for me.

A friend of mine works as a product manager at Easton and he sent it to me. JR, you probably know him, hes been working on helmets but they aren't the main product he covers.

For those in the know, is it worth it to wait for the Easton S17 or the Bauer 9500? Is there that much innovation in them to postpone my purchase?

A friend of mine works as a product manager at Easton and he sent it to me. JR, you probably know him, hes been working on helmets but they aren't the main product he covers.

I do.

For those in the know, is it worth it to wait for the Easton S17 or the Bauer 9500? Is there that much innovation in them to postpone my purchase?

I'd echo the sentiments of the other people on here in saying that if your current helmet is in really bad shape, just get a new one now. You don't want to take chances with your head. Beyond that, just get whichever fits the best.

The high school team I coach uses 8K's and we've had some durability issues with the padding breaking and falling out. However, these are high school kids that don't take the best care of their equipment (especially since the helmets are free) so you can take it with a grain of salt but it's still an issue.

Edit: Also, I wore one once for a practice (forgot my NBH 4500) and I could see the edges of the helmet in my peripheral vision, which bugged me quite a bit. Obviously vision is different from person to person so this may not be an issue for you.

I use the old Bauer 8000 like you, and can honestly say I will be getting the 8500 or another 8000, because they are the same minus a Nike Logo and 500 cool points, once this one breaks down