Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dcdot377

Breaking in new skates

any one have sugestions? i have heard that if you wear them in the bath tub with hot water it works well. baking is an obvious answer. any wierd ones tho? i mean besides wearing them for a while.

The tub of hot water... not really a good idea. For one it don't really do much except get the skate soaked or waterlogged.

The best way next to baking... wearing. A few nights wearing them around the house with guards on of course and they should be well broken in and ready for action. Just be sure to let them dry out good and if possible remove the footbed to speed the drying and make sure they do dry all the way out.

BTW, when breaking them in be sure to wear or not wear as the case may be whatever type of socks you plan to play in.

If you can find an oven with a built in flux capacitor in it you maybe able to bypass the break in time all together. ;)

Seriously but, besides baking... I have heard of the spot method with a hair dryer (some guys use this FOR the bake and not after) also some people have been known to rub shaving cream in. Most of the time the cream contains alchohol which is not good at all for your skates.

Really, the best and safest methods are baking and wearing. It shouldn't be too long (2-3 weeks to 2-3 months) before you are feeling comfy in a well fitted skate.

Bake; wear around the house in the same socks you'd use on the ice; spot-heat any 'hot spots' with a heat-gun (hair dryer won't do much, if anything), whether on your own or back at the shop; use on ice.

All of the bathtub/shaving cream/whatever originated back in ye days of yore when skates were made from the skins of animals.

I have an old Grant Fuhr book that advises rubbing Neat's Foot Oil into your gloves, wrapping a softball into the pocket of the trapper, then sealing them into a bag filled with hot air for a day. Not sure that applies with a 2005-spec pocket and gloves without an ounce of natural material in them...