Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

Nike/Bauer Supreme ONE95

Foot spec - Wide forefoot, wide heel, small arch

Last skate worn - Mission Fuel 120AG, Easton Stealth S15

Size - 10.5D

In the past 5 years, I have tested Supreme 80/90 and Supreme ONE90. Both were great skates in their own right, and now the ONE95 is the latest edition to the Supreme line.

Now to the details -

Fit -

The ONE95 is more along the 80/90 than the ONE90 - the ONE90 didn't fit a lot of foot types so it was tweaked this year. More volume and overall, just a more supple skate.

Mine are 10.5D (same as 80/90, ONE95 was an EE/B) so the skate is definitely wider. The skate really reacts well to heat molding - most pressure points were gone, except for one spot on my right (bigger) foot at the ball of the foot. I solved it with an additional bake and skating. The tongue is the same as the 8090, but in white. The heel lock is very good in this skate as well, just like the ONE90 was.

Boot wrap is also very good - considering the boot is stiff. However, the ALIVE material is very pliable.

The skate height is taller than the ONE90, and about the same as the 80/90. I preferred the ONE90 height, so on these skates I must skate with the top eyelet unlaced.

The tendon guard is back to a solid one - which was a smart decision for the masses. The theory worked, but once placed in the consumers' hands and out of NBH's control, it failed.

I started out by swapping the insole out for the Easton due to the internal heel lift, but the past few times I have skated with my custom Superfeet insoles and they've done the trick.

9.75/10 (-.5 for initial problem, +.25 for a solution)

Performance - I have not had a skate that has performed the way this one has. It was something that I noticed immediately - but just could not pinpoint exactly what it was. And it's because I don't think I've ever experienced something like it before. The response you get from the skate is just crazy - it almost feels like you're skating on rails. It is a serious skate.

10/10

Blade/Holder -

Comes with LS2 holder and the new 2.1 steel that has been tweaked to fit the LS2 holder. Steel has more height than the LS2Power and haven't had any issues with sharpening. Holds a good edge. I went to my standard 3mm heel lift on the skate, something I've done with the 80/90 and ONE90. My only issue is that the skate came with a 288mm holder, which is strange because there is room for a 296mm holder. All of the other NBH skates I've had, had 296s on them. I've felt it on transitions, especially going backwards. Awaiting a pair of 296s. Other than that, no other issues with the holder.

8/10 (-2 wrong size)

Weight-

It's light, but not freakishly light. However, nothing wrong with that at all.

9.5/10

Protection -

Took a shot on the skate (yeah I played D a few wks back). Didn't feel a thing. And since I'll probably not block another shot again in my life, I'll take their video on it and say it's protective. :)

9/10

Durability -

So far, so good. I'm not very hard on skates but I have a couple of scuff marks (probably from that one game on D) None of the issues that dogged the ONE90 are in question here. The skate looks clean in and out - no issues with mismounts or delaminations.

10/10

Conclusion -

Once again, NBH has raised the bar on performance skates. They simply do their homework year after year and make a skate that pushes the envelope.

Overall - 56.25/60 = 9.3/10

Shout-Outs -

Once again, must thank the guys in St-Jerome for the factory tour where I saw the ONE95 skates being made as well as supplying me with a pair. I always hope that whatever feedback I can give to manufacturers will improve future product - while a product may seem that it has peaked, those are the guys who find a way to keep it going.

Please address any questions you may have in my Initial Thoughts thread.

Showing up late to the party, but better late than never, right?

Foot spec – Narrow-ish heel with average width; Low arch.

Last skate worn – Nike Quest2, CCM V08, Vapor X:30

Size - 9.5D

Fit -

I do not have a lot of experience with past models of skates as I haven’t been playing that long. I have, however, done my homework and know that fit is king in the skate world. I went to my local Perani’s and to the clerks frustration asked to see skates from every manufacture in a size 9.5D. Thankfully, it was the now famous snow-day in Texas, and there was no one else in the shop. He brought me a pair of Rbk White 9Ks (and I’ll be honest, I had my heart set on these when I first walked in) a pair of X:50’s, and the One95s. They were out of S17/15 in 9.5 or 9.

I put the RBKs on first, and found out promptly that the heel on my left foot is wider than the one on my right. My left foot felt amazing in the skate, even without the pump, but my right after 6-7 pumps still had a bit of lift that I could feel when I leaned forward. Next was the X:50. These were actually a size EE, which really surprised me as they felt no different from my X:30s in the size number size, but a D-width. This just seemed to reassure me that I needed to spend more time figuring out the best fit for me.

The last one I tried on was the One95. When I put this on I felt what I now believe what a heel lock is suppose to feel like. They… well… locked into place. After tying the skates I could not get my foot to budge anywhere in the skate. There was, however, a slight pressure point right below my ankle, on the inside of my right foot. I only felt the pressure when I leaned onto the inside edge of skate. The baking process solved this issue, and I highly recommend baking with this skate. I really felt a custom fit after only 1 bake.

10/10

Performance – This is the reason I went looking for new skates. After grabbing the V08s on sale and ditching the Quest2s, then because of durability issues having to get another pair of skates to fill in while getting a replacement pair of CCMs I’ve gone through skates very quickly in my very short very limited hockey career. The X:30s were great the first few skates, but being a heavy guy (6’ at 240lbs) they just were not steady enough for me.

I know there are people that wouldn’t recommend such a stiff skate for an, in relative terms, newer skater but that was one of the largest selling points for me on this skate. They were the stiffest out of the bunch and that seriously appealed to me. And that attraction appeared fruitful when I skated on them for a playoff game the next day. I felt so much more in control of my skating. For the first time I felt the difference between having my center of gravity low for hard turns and higher for stops have a serious effect. It was a great feeling.

10/10

Blade/Holder -

Coming from the X:30’s I was used to the LS2, but I have never really had a problem switching holders. I went from the Custom+ to Epros, then to LS2s and only need a skate or 2 to get the feel. I didn’t really notice a difference in the steel either, although they could have attributed to my feeling of intense control.

9/10 (no issues, but nothing really exciting either)

Weight-

As Jr put it, it’s not heavy, but it’s not the lightest either.

9/10

Protection -

I play defense in a lower-level men’s league. No one’s shot is exceptionally hard, but I have a felt a few in the past. So far no luck on a shot block, I did stop a centering pass with the forefoot area of the skate and laughed as I tossed it up for a break-away… ha.

9/10

Durability -

Because of the stiffness of these skates, and the fact that with work and school I only get 2, ice times 3-tops a week I can see these lasting me a loooong time.

10/10

Conclusion -

I was very, very worried but at the same time wanting the stiffness these skates have to offer. The performance I felt after just one game and the lack of any sort of pain or discomfort in the skates makes this one of the best buys I’ve made in hockey.

Overall - 10/10

Foot spec - unsure

Last skate worn - Graf 609's

Size - 9.5C

Fit -

I have a very picky foot, and I use to have a pair of CCM's that NEVER fit me right...that's why I ended up with the graf's...I dont know what I was doing when I tried on the one95's, I think I had time to kill, but I was surprised as to how well it fit my foot...I read online, everyone seemed to like it...so I went back, tried it on again, this time I kept it on for 15 minutes, no pressure points, I bought it...after heat molding it fit GREAT office..., the first 2-3 skates, it was awful stiff, I couldn't skate in it...no pressure points or anything...after that I got a game or two with REALLY bad lace bite...about 6-7 skates in, it felt great...I forgot I was wearing it...the ONLY thing is my heel sometimes lifts if I don't tighten it enough...or if I wear wet socks (back to back games)

10/10 ... I knew what I was getting, and after molding it, it only got better.

Performance - I had a really steep learning curve with the skate and didn't feel comfy t'il about 10 skates in...new pitch, new fit...not as much of a wrap around as the graf...about 30-40 games in, I decided to wear the graf's to compare them...that's when the performance of the one95's were obvious...I put on the graf's...I walked, stepped on the ice...took 20-30 strides, hated it (and I LOVEEDDDD these skates before), got off, and put the one95's...they felt unresponsive, loose, and awful...after putting the one95's, I can say it's obvious these skates turn on a dime, and perform amazing

10/10

Blade/Holder -

it was awkward at first to sit at a neutral pitch coming from a forward pitch, but I knew that going into it...and I've adjusted fairly well...I think I like being neutral more, go figure...I might have to get some heel lifts and compare, but for now I am happy...steel holds their edge for as long as my cobra's did...or so it seems...I'm happy

10/10 (-2 wrong size)

Weight-

I didn't notice a diff from my 609's, but after weighting them on my food scale, they are fairly close...I don't care about weight, but as stated, they're light, not freakishly light, and it wasn't enough for me to notice a difference on the ice...since to begin with they seemed to be similar

9.5/10

Protection -

last playoff game, took a shot to the skate...I was maybe 3 feet away from the guy...full slapper, landed on the outside of my right skate...it stung...but that's IT...I saw the guy wind up, and thought '@$!!%"...it exceeded my expectations in terms of protection, I for sure thought I would be hurt, but I was ok

10/10

Durability -

I have about 60 sessions into them, and they look great, a few nicks and cuts from other skates, but that's expected wear...I am happy

10/10

Conclusion -

If I had to do it again, I'd buy them again in a heart beat...love these skates, and worth every penny...I don't think I can ever own a mid/low end skate again.

Overall - 59.5/60