Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jds

Wheel hardness/replacement

I am new to inline skates. I just bought a pair of Mission CSX skates so I can work on my leg strength etc for ice over the summer. The wheels that came with the skates are 78 durometer. I am skating on asphalt trails and parking lots. First, how do I know when to replace these obviously soft wheels and what sort of wheel hardness or brand would give me better wear on asphalt?

A wheel designed for asphalt is always going to wear better than a softer wheel on the same surface. One thing to mention when you are considering wheels is your weight. The heavier you are the higher (more dense) durometer wheel you will need to support your weight properly and to get the proper ratio of wear/grip.

Right. I'm about 6'1" and 180 lbs. The one thing I am trying to figure out is what "short life span" may mean in, say, hours of skating. I'm not playing roller hockey just skating around doing drills etc. I would like to do my shopping and have a spare set of wheels on hand for when my current set wears out and have no idea if that is days away or months.Also, will the harder wheels make stopping somewhat easier on asphalt with less grip. I use a fairly shallow hollow on my ice skates and noticed the grip on the inlines is pretty intense compared to the ice.

Right. I'm about 6'1" and 180 lbs. The one thing I am trying to figure out is what "short life span" may mean in, say, hours of skating. I'm not playing roller hockey just skating around doing drills etc. I would like to do my shopping and have a spare set of wheels on hand for when my current set wears out and have no idea if that is days away or months.Also, will the harder wheels make stopping somewhat easier on asphalt with less grip. I use a fairly shallow hollow on my ice skates and noticed the grip on the inlines is pretty intense compared to the ice.

Yes. A harder durometer will make doing a "hockey stop" easier for you as the grip will be less. If you are mainly commuting and doing light drills on your wheels on an asphalt then an asphalt wheel will be your best bet.

any wheel on asphalt isnt going to give you a ton of life. 82 durometer should be good for you. Hyper Pro 250's (yellow ones) should be perfect.

i handle Hyper ( now Eschelon ) and the Pro 150 does very well for alot of my street guys. 82a or 84a.

Anybody have any experience with the La Beda asphalt wheel? I just bought some hard Kuzak wheels from hockey giant beause they were really cheap. Even with them being a hard wheel they don't like asphalt at all. Just recreational skating with my dog has taken it's toll on them. In 2 skates for 20. min in a straight line and I can see some major wear.

I would reccomend the Labeda Asphalt. Its about an 84a durometer. I used to do the same thing as you, doing chores and shopping around town on my skates and they seemed to work the best for me. But definitely rotate them as much as possible. If you wait until the wheels get pointed, you will notice a difference in skating, and especially stopping.

the Labeda Asphalts I currently have are a 92a durometer.

These things last me the whole Summer and keep in mind I'm a big dude as well.

Go with them you won't be disappointed.