Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tyler33

Holder questions.

My graf 703 skates with lightspeeds were getting kinda small. My toes were all they way to the end, so I decided that I will get another pair of 703s untill I get synergys. My old pair of grafs were a size 9 W, and my news ones are a 9.5 W. After getting them I realized my new skates needed 288 holders. So some one on the board hooked me up with a good deal on some black tuuks. I got them put on and skated on them in 2 practices. Both practices my feet were hurting a lot like they usually do when I get new skates so I just switched back to my old grafs. But my main problem is I couldn't get used to the tuuks. It just felt like there was too much blade on the ice. When I took crossovers it was a big hassle. From switching from a 280 holder to a 288 holder, there shouldn't be too much more blade on the ice, right? I mean the skates are barley bigger at all. I remember that someone was saying the theres a different radius or something between the lightspeeds and the tuuks. So whats the difference? I put the skates up to each other blade to blade and the blade on the lightspeeds seems to curved up sooner and more. I don't know how to exactly say it right. But is this the profile or radius of the blade? I remember a while back someone was talking about it. Anyways is there a way to change it? If not I think I'll just get some lightspeeds put on them.

Another question I had was changing steel on my lightspeeds. There worn down quite a bit, so I was thinking of changing them beacuse I just have a extra pair laying around. I know someone was telling me I had to take out my insole and there should be a hole, and then I would have to take a wrench of something and unscrew it so the blade came out, and then put a new one in and tighten it. But theres no hole in my boot so I can do that. When I got my extra steel for my lightspeeds it had a sticker on each, one said 280 L, and the other said 280 R. Did that mean left and right. If so I think I"ll have a problem because I took the stickers off when I got them and I don't remember which said what on them. Thanks guys.

i'll tell you what i think i know...

the L & R would have meant Left & Right...as far as that being a problem...i'm not sure...JR or someone else would know better.

And tuuks come standard on Bauer/Nike...so those would be the only skates with the holes in the correct place...to change the steel on the Grafs i believe you would have to take the holders off, change steel, then put them back on (can someone else verify?)...

The Tuuks have a 9ft radius, the Cobras are 11ft radius, so the Tuuks willl have less steel on the ice. That's why they appear to curve up earlier and more than the cobras, that's the way they are. There is no more steel on the ice with a 288 than a 280 if both are sharpened to the same radius.

To the best of my knowledge, the only reason the steel would be L or R would be for the logos to be on the outside, though I could be wrong.

Since you put lightspeeds on your Grafs you will have to remove the holder to change the steel. Bauers have a hole in the footbed that make it easier to change the steel.

Most likely the problem is from the difference in pitch between the two holders. You will be skating more on your heels with the Tuuks and could be putting pressure on a different part of your foot.

The Tuuks have a 9ft radius, the Cobras are 11ft radius, so the Tuuks willl have less steel on the ice.

He's comparing Lightspeeds to reg. Tuuks. Not Tuuks to Cobras.

Like Chadd said, the pitch between Tuuk Custom and Tuuk Lightspeed is different. As for the profile, you can take both pairs of skates to your LHS and they can try to match the profile of the new steel to that of the old steel. Also, have them give you a forward lean on the new steel to make up for the difference in pitch.

Like Chadd said, the pitch between Tuuk Custom and Tuuk Lightspeed is different. As for the profile, you can take both pairs of skates to your LHS and they can try to match the profile of the new steel to that of the old steel. Also, have them give you a forward lean on the new steel to make up for the difference in pitch.

The pitch is the same between those two holders... I think.

i'll tell you what i think i know...

the L & R would have ,meant Left & Right...as far as that being a problem...i'm not sure...JR or someone else would know better.

And tuuks come standard on Bauer/Nike...so those would be the only skates with the holes in the correct place...to change the steel on the Grafs i believe you would have to take the holders off, change steel, then put them back on (can someone else verify?)...

no, all you have to do is drill holes in the bottom ofthe skates.

To the best of my knowledge, the only reason the steel would be L or R would be for the logos to be on the outside, though I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure you're right...that is the only difference between the two from what I know.

The lightspeeds may have had the factory radius screwed up by the people sharpening it. Unless it is checked regularly, it often gets changed inadvertantly.

Alright thanks guys. I am gonna get lightspeeds put on. Then my skates should feel like my old ones, and I wont have to adjust to anything new. Thanks.

Like Chadd said, the pitch between Tuuk Custom and Tuuk Lightspeed is different.  As for the profile, you can take both pairs of skates to your LHS and they can try to match the profile of the new steel to that of the old steel.  Also, have them give you a forward lean on the new steel to make up for the difference in pitch.

The pitch is the same between those two holders... I think.

Lightspeeds are higher in the heel, they put you more forward.

Alright thanks guys. I am gonna get lightspeeds put on. Then my skates should feel like my old ones, and I wont have to adjust to anything new. Thanks.

If your problem is too much steel on the ice, changing to Lightspeeds won't affect anything. I'd really suggest that you take your old and new skates both to your LHS and have them profile the new steel so it's the same as the old steel. The only difference between the Lightspeeds and the Tuuk Customs is the pitch. You'll have the same amount of steel on the ice, you'll just be more on your toes. Profiling is much cheaper and easier than changing steel and holders.