Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spreedizzle

2008 TDF

Up for discussion.

I personally was very happy to see the hard line that the governing bodies have finally taken with ALL forms to doping and drugs. I was especially surprised by the positive testing for cocaine by Tom Boonen. Highly unfortunate not to see him participating in the TDF this year, but I am glad to see that there is finally a strong crack down (no pun intended) on drug policies in cycling. Too long has drugs been a black flag on the sport, and I fully support their decisions for this years TDF. However, I do NOT agree with their decision to exclude Astana from participating this year with an entirely new team, and excluding them solely on the basis of the problems created by the team in the past.

The two sports I cannot watch because of the doping issue is Olympics and Cycling. Too long have there been cheaters in both these events, performance enhancing and recreational, and it's great to see that both are trying to clean the sports. Still, there are athletes that believe they still have to use it, what would be an effective deterrent, considering that doping is still being used?

what would be an effective deterrent, considering that doping is still being used?

Chopping off the main body part if found guilty (legs for biking, arms for swimming, etc). :ph34r:

In all seriousness, lifetime bans, forfeit of sponsor, repay all fees given to you for events, a kick in the nuts.

Up for discussion.

I personally was very happy to see the hard line that the governing bodies have finally taken with ALL forms to doping and drugs. I was especially surprised by the positive testing for cocaine by Tom Boonen. Highly unfortunate not to see him participating in the TDF this year, but I am glad to see that there is finally a strong crack down (no pun intended) on drug policies in cycling. Too long has drugs been a black flag on the sport, and I fully support their decisions for this years TDF. However, I do NOT agree with their decision to exclude Astana from participating this year with an entirely new team, and excluding them solely on the basis of the problems created by the team in the past.

When was this?

Up for discussion.

When was this?

During the offseason, a handful of months back. He had apparently gotten mixed up in it at a night club and later on in the week had one of their typical "random drug screenings". Obviously he tested positive for the substance.

I hate not seeing him in the TDF, especially after a stage 1 victory on a climb by Valverde.....but I support and respect the decision to not allow him to participate this year.

It begs the question without Astana are we seeing the best cyclist in the world compete for the TFD

Let Levi ride

it comes to mind that pride cometh before the fall

It begs the question without Astana are we seeing the best cyclist in the world compete for the TFD

Let Levi ride

it comes to mind that pride cometh before the fall

Completely agree. I'm really disapointed not seeing Levi in the Tour this year. Do I think that he would be in yellow????....no. But I do think that he would of been a top 8 going into Paris and could of led to a more dynamic race.

Pivotal stage tomorrow in the first Time Trial. Predictions from anyone?

Personally....I think and hope that it will be Millar's day tomorrow. Not a long time trial at all, and that is the only reason that I am picking him to win and potentially take Yellow tomorrow.....but I honestly think that he will win the stage and be 30 seconds outside of Yellow. Time will tell.

Pivotal stage tomorrow in the first Time Trial. Predictions from anyone?

Personally....I think and hope that it will be Millar's day tomorrow. Not a long time trial at all, and that is the only reason that I am picking him to win and potentially take Yellow tomorrow....but I honestly thing that he will win the stage and probably be 30 seconds back from Yellow. Time will tell.

Cancellara is kind of hero to me. The beginning of the climbing will really start to flesh out who are contenders and pretenders. Spred what do you think of the lack of points bonuses? Very easily to follow but has that yellow jersey bouncing around a bit

i personaly think drugs should be aloud. its your own risk. your own body.

Yeah but should others be at a disadvantage for not taking risks with their health, competitions are for the best athlete not the average middle of the packer whose been drugged up to the 9s.

Cancellara is kind of hero to me. The beginning of the climbing will really start to flesh out who are contenders and pretenders. Spred what do you think of the lack of points bonuses? Very easily to follow but has that yellow jersey bouncing around a bit

I am actually guite dissapointed in the decision this year to negate the time bonuses in the stage victory sprints. To me, it takes so much of the enjoyment out of the first week of the tour as it is generally VERY easy to defend the yellow, sans the time trials of course. I don't agree with it at all and unfortunately am finding the tour thus far this year relatively dry. This will all change of course in a few days once the tour goes vertical and the real race honestly begins. I simply miss the days of seeing Boonen, Super Mario, McEwan and other sprinters get their chance and short lived life in yellow. Should the organizers choose to keep this adjustment I don't think that we will be seeing any sprinter in yellow again....sans of course the first couple of stages of the tour.

Furthermore, I think that not starting the race in the race of truth (ie time trial) was another major mistake. I think that the tour needed as much publicity as possible to draw back the dwindling fans of the sport due to drug and doping allegations. And nothing is more exciting in the first week of the tour than a 15k time trial as the prologue.

On another note....I was rather happy and impressed with my personal pick for Millar in the time trial. He showed me that he is in his usual fantastic form for the race of truth. GC contender, absolutely not.....but damn that man can solo like a madman, especially when considering his height.

For the first time in a long time I am angry, crushed, or just resentful towards a professional athlete. As the Cobra was climbing I was on the edge of my seat, exclaiming to the wife(who is from Italy) that the mother country has a new hero to cheer for and how on another planet Ricco was from. I felt inspired to push myself on my next hill day....

Turns out the superhuman climb was down to pharmecutical help and a young man's career will forever be tarnished. Worse yet now every board that I visit has the snakes coming out of the woodwork with their pious finger pointing out that my new found sport is filled with cheats, diminishing this race of races......

There are cheats in every sport out there. This is a dark time for professional cycling as the governing bodies have finally taken a stand after 6 years of tarnishment and are now taking an absolute stand on all forms of non-natural aids in performance. I support the moves and effort to rid the sport of cheats, but you are correct.....it makes you want to spit at the TV sometimes. With my pro career behind me, I am constantly asked if I ever used EPO, or any other type of performance enhancer.....and I can emphatically say NO. Other members of my team I cannot say that they were clean (yet I will never name any names). This was also in the late 90's when the governing bodies were not as strict, performed as many random drug tests (none were done in the off season), nor was cycling as much of a televised and followed sporting event.

I honestly feel that in a few years the drugs in cycling will be behind us, and the troubling efforts of the governing bodies will come to fruition and rid the sport of so much negative and tarnishing publicity. I only hope that my feelings are not empty optimism to save the face of a sport that I love so dearly.

And building upon your comments with regards to The Cobra......it makes me that much more emphatically against the man and his character, both on the bike and off. I personally have never been one to talk SH$* to any of my competitors, I don't feel it necessary to slander my rivals in any way shape or form, much less to a publication. To me it is simply juvenile. But when you combine the slanderous comments with arrogance and brashness, and then to have all of this tied together with performance enhancers.....well....let's just say that I would love to find him in a dark alley somewhere. :ph34r:

Team CSC is amazing

I look forward to Andy Schleck vs Contador vs Kreuziger

2 major sponsors pulling out of pro cycling due to some stupid athletes. I know it has to get worse before it gets better. I am still worried that a culture of cheating will be synonomus with professional cycling. That dismissive wave of the american sports fan

A young talented man throwing his career away before it starts. I know forgiveness is in the Italian heart but you should hear m in-laws. You know it serious when my mother in law starts on the phone: "disgraziato" Sebest why?

I really need to get out of the equipment forum more often.

This years tour just seemed almost forced to me. Missing teams, missing athletes, missing anticipation. There just seemed to be no hype. The last two years, I would get up at 8 just to watch the live coverage on OLN before going to work. Even last year after the whole landis fiasco, I was excited for the tour. This year I have barely watched. The interest in cycling is still there, heck I've ridden more this year than the last two combined but as for the tour, no interest. Just found out about boonen from reading this post. Thought mcewen and hushovd looked lonely. I was dissappointed that cadel evans couldnt make up more in the TT. Not really a fan on sastre. Have to agree with saba. CSC is so strong! Nice to see the schlecks have a solid tour. Their day will come. Hopefully Slipstream chipoltle is on the right track and more teams follow their lead. Anyway, no hockey tonight so maybe I'll go for a ride. Cheers

Oh i didnt know that there was a tdf thread on MSH. Im a huge cycling fan, i like it a lot. Looking forward to the germany-tour and the giro.