Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pantherfan

Mouth Guards

In need of a new mouth guard, what do you guys use, any recommendations?

Lil' info; I've always used the cheapo boil 'n' bite variety and I'm starting to realise why their so cheap, looked at the RBK Custom Smartmouth and pretty much all the shockdocs and just wanted opinions before I purchase.

Eternally in your debt,

Pantherfan

Get your dentist to make you a custom mouthguard. They feel like they're painted onto your teeth. Very comfortable, doesn't restrict breathing or talking, and shouldn't ever trigger your gag reflex.

I use a "Shock Doctor Pro mouthguard", and it's the most comfortable one I've used. This is the first one I've had where there weren't any talking or breathing restrictions. I've had it for two years.

If you have the $$$ or health insurance, have your dentist make you one of these: http://www.playsafemouthguards.co.uk/

I'll never go back to a boiled one after using a custom one. It feels/fits/protects better and is much easier to understand someone speaking with a custom.

There are a number of places online that will send you an at-home impression kit and then build a custom mouthguard from the kit. You can usually find these for around $50-$60, not much more than the RBK one and 100x more comfortable and protective. Someone already mentioned Playsafe, I use ProTekt and like it. If you google "custom mouthguards" or "custom sports mouthguards", you'll come up with a few manufactures.

I love my RBK Smartmouth Pro but the liner falls out after a few months and it's not exactly cheap. Do it right and get a dentist one is what I would say.

My opinion is that a mouthgaurd is more important then any stick/gloves/anything other then helmet basically, not a good time to go cheap on mouthgaurds

I third or fourth custom mouthguards by a dentist. It really doesn't get any better than that. You get the best shock protection while being able to talk and breath properly at the same time. I never notice it on me until I get an occasional high stick and remember I have it.

Price might be costly but if you have a dental plan and know your dentist well then you're all set!

Get your dentist to make you a custom mouthguard. They feel like they're painted onto your teeth. Very comfortable, doesn't restrict breathing or talking, and shouldn't ever trigger your gag reflex.

I second that.

+1 for a custom from your dentist, where I get mine you can even get your name inserted under the laminate for no extra charge :)

I have always used the cheapy boil and bite ones, as I have a tendency to chew on the mouthguard rather than keep it in place. Would a well-fitted, custom mouthguard fix the problem of excess rubber causing irritation? From what I've heard, yes, but i want to make sure prior to spending that kind of money.

warriors, yes it would. a custom dentist mouthguard is very thin and sticks right against your teeth and gums. they are incredibly comfortable and you wont feel like there is something foreign in your mouth. i started using them in high school and i cant imagine going to anything but a dentist mouthgaurd.

they are worth every penny for comfort, protection, concussion prevention, breathing, tooth protection.

That's exactly the answer I was looking for. The need for a good mouthguard for me has increased now that I'm playing U-16 A-AA with the bigger, more physical kids. My former orthodontist does them, so I will be getting fitted shortly.

Sorry to drift, but does anyone wear a mouthguard in addition to a full cage? I'm just starting ice hockey, in a nonchecking league, but want to protect my winning smile. :D I have a full cage, but don't wear a mouthguard. I'm thinking I should be fine, but would like to hear opinions. Thanks!

I use a Shock Doctor pro for martial arts sparring (hate wearing it for puck) and it's also a good idea to grab a case for transport and storage.

I just throw my mouthguard in my bag..let it sit with my gear for a few days and pop it back into my mouth when I go back on the ice.. is that wrong?

Sorry to drift, but does anyone wear a mouthguard in addition to a full cage? I'm just starting ice hockey, in a nonchecking league, but want to protect my winning smile. :D I have a full cage, but don't wear a mouthguard. I'm thinking I should be fine, but would like to hear opinions. Thanks!

Yes, they're not only to protect your teeth, but prevent concussion as well..Mouthguards absorb the shock when you collide with someone or the boards or fall onto the ice.

+1 for Dentist mouthguard. Most of the ones out on the market are a bit on the bulky side and restrict breathing. My dentist made one from the mold of my mouth, and when I wear it I can not tell I have it in. Cost me about $80 but it was worth every penny. Make sure to get a case..like the shock doctor case. I pop it in Listerine after use to keep it bacteria free.

I'm going to be playing my first year of U-16 and mouthguards are required as are a full face shield. And I couldn't stand to wear a fishbowl so I have the 5500 combo.

Yes, they're not only to protect your teeth, but prevent concussion as well..Mouthguards absorb the shock when you collide with someone or the boards or fall onto the ice.

Indeed- you obviously don't need to worry about getting hit in the mouth with a cage, but the mouthguard will prevent you from chipping your teeth if you get hit or fall and the momentum slams your jaw; it also helps prevent concussions as mentioned. I have problems with my TMJ as well (clicking jaw, sore temples, etc) and I find wearing the mouthguard helps keep my jaw stable and reduces the helmet pains I'd otherwise be getting. If you're wearing a cage, you can get one of the very slim custom guards from your dentist (which I need to do one of these days), or something like the shockdoctor type that rests over your bottom teeth- that's what I wear and I can still breath and talk all right with it in.

Cleo. I too play in a non contact (that's a laugh) league. A good friend of mine also is on the team. I was always on him about not wearing a mouth gaurd even though we must wear full cages. In one of our games he got tripped up and basically landed on his chin, let me tell you, he always wears one now. He ended up with a concussion and a dislocated jaw. He had to go to the ER where they had to novacaine his jaw to pop it back into place. The Dr. there said he probaly would not have done so much damage had he had a mouth guard in.

I use a Shock Doctor pro for martial arts sparring (hate wearing it for puck) and it's also a good idea to grab a case for transport and storage.

I just throw my mouthguard in my bag..let it sit with my gear for a few days and pop it back into my mouth when I go back on the ice.. is that wrong?

I just don't like gunk and dirt on my mouthguard but that's just me. $5 for a case can remedy that.

I heard a story of some kid getting a serious infection by doing that. It's like putting a piece of meat in your mouth that's been on the ground for a few hours.