Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fletch

P90X fitness system

To the people who are trying to find it cheap, check ebay or better yet, Craigslist. I got my copy from CL for $35. I'm on my 4th week now, and even though I never do yoga and skip other workouts occasionally (usually legs as my legs are already pretty solid), I can still see drastic changes in the definition of my back, shoulders, and abs, and I can also tell smaller differences in my biceps and triceps. As far as endurance goes, mine has improved immensely since starting the workouts which I'm pretty happy about. I'd say if you can find the set of DVD's to borrow from a friend or find 'em cheap on Craigslist then I'd say go for it.

The legs are probably the one workout you should never skip. Even if your legs are pretty solid.

Leg days are never fun, but they'll do you the most good.

But the yoga? Yeah. Screw the yoga.

Yep, yoga stinks. Run by the right yoga instructor, it hurts a lot too. A number of high level hockey players have found it does help their mental toughness though...like in getting your mind right on the bench in one minute after really screwing something up on the ice.

For those doing the program, are you following the nurtition guidelines and/or recipes? And do you know if the nutrition guidelines are for those wanting to lose weight, or even those who are fit and want great definition in their body?

I'll personally vouch for p90x. A lot of people bash it and say it's a waste, or there's better stuff out there. No doubt, nothing replaces one-on-one with a professional hockey trainer, but for people like me playing 2-3 times a week in men's league and don't want to fork up the coin for a personal trainer, the program fits my needs. There was a huge improvement to the power and endurance in my game and I'm happy with the results.

Yeah, I'll vouch for it too. I only did 5 weeks of it and had to stop due to an injury but I am looking to get back into it once I'm healed up. Even in the 5 weeks I noticed significant improvements in endurance and I felt a lot better. It's a good program. It's just hard to stick with because it's very demanding on your schedule. (6-7 days a week 75-90 minutes a day).

for the people who have completed the program, what did you use for weights? I was looking at the program and already have a power tower, but dont have barbells/resistance bands.

I bought two steel dumb bells that you can slide plates onto. For the plates I bought 2.5's, 5's, and 10's, 4 of each weight, and I've been pretty happy with this set up. I also ended up getting some resistance bands for the pull up type exercises. I liked being able to buy the plates because 1.) it turned out to be fairly inexpensive and 2.) if i find that the amount of weight I'm using for certain exercises is becoming too little, it's just as easy as going to Wal-Mart or a Play-It-Again and picking up the appropriate amounts of weight.

Any type of workout is better than no workout, the thing is you will actually have to do the workouts they tell you to do for it to work.

I made my own p90x type program and did it for a while in my living room, workouts included

• Sit-up / crunches and different variations
  • Push ups with lots of variations (wider grib, narrow, elevated)
  • Dips, using the couch and the coffee table for elevation

Just by doing that I managed to get pretty toned, noticeable 6 pack and toned arms

After I had challenged myself at home I started going to the gym to further push myself.

It's all about knowledge and dedication, you could make your own workout by looking on the internet, but some people need the structure that a program provides.