Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fletch

P90X fitness system

I know i'm basing this off of an infomercial, but I have to admit, the routines involved look very impressive. I read some reviews on it and it appears that it is aimed at people who are already athletic but looking to get to the next level, which I'm sure goes for most of us here.

Here's the site - I am thinking of ordering it in a few months when I can resume training:

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_p...code=P90XDOTCOM

I did it for school. It'll take a looooooooong time before you get any results from this. I guess the routines are alright, but they get really boring and overplayed because you have to do them over and over and over (despite what they say about muscle confusion).

I think this thing is more geared toward people that are not already in decent shape, people living sedantary lives that need to get off the couch and exercise any way they can.

Well the underlying premise is correct. If you do the same sets of exercises all summer long, then long before summer is over you will have stopped progressing. You have to mix stuff up. Like switch from deadlift to flipping tractor tires, etc.

Sounds like the program is more B.S. than anything else.

I'm currently doing the program and I think 15yearsofhistory has misled you. The program is split into 3 different phases, each phase being 3 weeks and punctuated by a one week active recovery period. Every day of the week is a different routine focusing on a different bodypart(s) and the workouts change up after each phase. Where 15yearsofhistory gets the idea that the program gets boring over time, well, what workout program isn't? That's why the phases are less than a month long - just like what most trainers say is the ideal time to change a routine up to promote "muscle confusion".

In my opinion, it's a great conditioning program and it really does push you to the limit. For instance, on the back and biceps day, it starts off with wide-grip pullups, followed by 2 different bicep curl exercises and repeats this scheme for 8 times. Bear in mind, none of the exercises in this day are repeated so you're only doing one set of each exercise. You may be thinking 24 sets is nothing - it isn't, though, when you don't have the usual one minute break in between exercises, not to mention you're doing pullups with pre-exhausted biceps.

However, I will concede that this program probably won't make you a faster skater though; that takes practice and progressively adding weights to your squats, deadlifts, or any other quad/hamstring resistance exercise.

Also, don't expect to get huge off this program but do expect to get stronger and have more endurance. You'll definitely get more ripped too (ripped as in being more muscular, not buff).

That's pretty much the same stuff that is in the book I gave you Fletch. For hockey you need explosive muscle that recovers quickly. So low reps, high weight and you do not work out like a bodybuilder doing chest 1 day, etc. I also stopped resting between sets as well. Keeps my heart rate up and my recovery time has improved. It's worked for me but I had been lifting weights for a few years regularly before I changed my program. Now when I go to the gym I just do whatever I feel like doing. I may do bicpes and then squats, it really doesn't matter. But I also have a physically demanding job so I get a lot of exercise 4-5 days a week. Can't forget about the Russian Shower either, got to get rid of that lactic acid!

op, the p90x system is actually a very good program, and i would recommend it to young hockey layers.

and to the above poster, going to the gym and doing whatever you want is awful, dont give that advice to others.

Not neccessarilly doing this for hockey's sakes - I just want to look good naked. lol.

well as far as tv workouts go, its legit. i still prefer weights and cardio, but i can say honestly that p90x will work if you push yourself.

op, the p90x system is actually a very good program, and i would recommend it to young hockey layers.

and to the above poster, going to the gym and doing whatever you want is awful, dont give that advice to others.

You saying everybody should workout exactly the same as others? I said I have been workign out for years, I've had a trainer for a few months and I read about lifting weights so I have taken what I have learned that has worked for me and came up with my own program. If you're just walking into the gym for the 1st time I would suggest hiring a trainer. I am merely giving my advice on what has worked for me. Again, I have a physically demanding job so I can't work out 5 days a week. If I get to the gym 1 day a week and just do chest I would think that may lead to some problems so I need to bounce around.

I bought the program about a year ago when I went on a hockey hiatus for a few months. It definitely kept me in shape when I wasn't playing. If you goal is to get ripped, this program certainly helps, but I found that making some adjustments in my diet plays an important role, too. For those looking to improve hockey skills, there's actually a few programs that can help like plyometrics (they dedicate an entire hour to it and you don't get really get a whole lot of opportunities to take breaks), core synergistics, and to an extent, the legs and back routine.

One annoyance to some people might be the instructor Tony Horton. He's a bit... well... eccentric. The dude has energy like I've never seen before and since he rarely stops talking, he tends to throw in a few wacky comments here and there. It doesn't bother me, but I can see how some people could get really tired of him. Thankfully (if you get the DVD version) you can opt to do some/most of the workouts with audio cues only. Oh, and one other thing, BeachBody's customer service has been notorious for causing problems (do a search and you'll find out what I mean) so if you decide to get the program, get it off eBay or somewhere other than BeachBody themselves.

You saying everybody should workout exactly the same as others? I said I have been workign out for years, I've had a trainer for a few months and I read about lifting weights so I have taken what I have learned that has worked for me and came up with my own program. If you're just walking into the gym for the 1st time I would suggest hiring a trainer. I am merely giving my advice on what has worked for me. Again, I have a physically demanding job so I can't work out 5 days a week. If I get to the gym 1 day a week and just do chest I would think that may lead to some problems so I need to bounce around.

im saying going to the gym and doing random exercises is a waste of time. maybe not so much for an overweight person new to the gym, but someone athletic, yes.

im saying going to the gym and doing random exercises is a waste of time. maybe not so much for an overweight person new to the gym, but someone athletic, yes.

Well, some of the information I use for my workout routine was written by a PHD. I would tend to go with what a doctor reccomends unless you have a similar background. Body builders work out 1 body part at a time. I am not trying to be a body builder. I like to be athletic, not robotic and my muscles need to recover quickly rather than fatiguing. Are you a certified trainer or a PHD?

Fletch:

I have been on this program for 4.5 weeks. My observations are as follows:

1) I am following the portion control section of the nutrition plan. The plan is, in my opinion, pretty good. The explanation of what they are trying to do makes sense and, as long as I eat the correct portions, can eat a wide variety of food. They also have information of a variety of caloric intakes, to fit your needs.

2) As to looking good naked - I am definitely noticing a difference. I am not checking for weight loss (I do not need nor want to lose weight) but I am noticing a definite change in muscle definition in my abs, arms, back, and legs.

3) The workouts are tough, but not as bad as I was expecting. Although I cannot keep up with them all.

4) I would recommend dumbells over the resistance bands. I have broken a few from a different manufacturer and am now trying the B-Lines I purchased through Beachbody. They send 2 handles for 3 bands...>.< We shall see how they hold up. Although the bands are much cheaper than a set of dumbells.

5) Beachbody is a PITA to deal with. As soon as you order something it cannot be changed (I have tried). Just not fun. I ordered the DVDs elsewhere.

6) I have switched X Stretch in for Yoga. My wrists cannot handle what they were putting me through for the first 15 minutes ( when I switched it off) of the Yoga program. This is just a failing of myself.

7) Most routines are a hour. Yoga in 90 minutes. AB ripper (which is done 3 times a week in the classic series) is 17 minutes. Make sure to plan for it.

8) Tony...is Tony. He either minorly annoys you or does not.

9) I had heard about this at a different message board and purchased it when my girlfriend saw the informercial and said "Let's do it". She is losing the weight she has wanted and is gaining some muscle. I am definitely seeing a difference in myself.

10) I am fairly certain that a better program can be made for each individual. However, if yiou put in the work with this program and follow the nutritional plan I believe nearly everyone will see results.

I am glad I am working on this and am excited to see how I will look once I am finished with my 90 days.

Honest to god, spend the money on a gym pass and in 90 days you will see better results if you follow a correct program and do hiit.

Well, some of the information I use for my workout routine was written by a PHD. I would tend to go with what a doctor reccomends unless you have a similar background. Body builders work out 1 body part at a time. I am not trying to be a body builder. I like to be athletic, not robotic and my muscles need to recover quickly rather than fatiguing. Are you a certified trainer or a PHD?

a phd in what? no i am not a certified trainer because i have no desire to be one. i do however do indepedant work for a supplement company and deal with athletes, trainers and bodybuilders all the time. i am constantly talking, reading and experimenting with training. you have a misconception about bodybuilders, they train groups of muscles on days. which is what any athlete should do. if you are doing a total body workout then you need days of rest in between limiting your time in the gym. either way you mentioned no routine, just that you go to the gym and do whatever you feel like. i dont know why you think grouping body parts is a bodybulder thing, its an athlete thing. tying it back to this thread, p90x isnt for bodybuilders, and yet it is split into body parts on specific days.

Hey,

So I only came across P90x not too long ago, actually never saw one of the infomercials UNTIL today lol. It made me want to ask MH members how it is. I can see this thread hasn't had action for a while, so for those who are on it or just finished it, or whatnot, HOW IS IT?

Is it worth it. I don;t want to download it online, much rather have the hardcopy manual and DVDs. Everywhere in ontario it sells for $129+. So i was hoping ppl can tell me how it is and if it actually works well enough that you would recommend it.

any background info of yourself or when or how you did it would be great too.

Thx

...you have a misconception about bodybuilders, they train groups of muscles on days. which is what any athlete should do. if you are doing a total body workout then you need days of rest in between limiting your time in the gym. either way you mentioned no routine, just that you go to the gym and do whatever you feel like. i dont know why you think grouping body parts is a bodybulder thing, its an athlete thing. t

Athletes train movement, not muscles. There's a difference between athletic training and bodybuilding. Athletes train for movement and performance, bodybuilders train for the male equivalent of a beauty pageant.

A guy who subs for my team did it and he liked it. He also did the Insanity DVDs after P90X. It worked for him. He went from about 220-230 to 185. He's about 6'2" and he's lean and ripped now. He followed the program & diet to a T though. Sounds like if you are 100% dedicated to it that it will help. I think most buy these and slack off in 1 or more areas and don't get good results. For me I just use my own dumbbells/bike at home and use knowledge from training & reading over the years. If you don't want to buy into an expensive gym membership contract then maybe just buy some personal trainer sessions from an independent trainer and have them create a program for your needs that you can do at home on your own with your resistance bands, dumbbells, bike, etc.

In terms of losing weight, that's 99% diet. I'd recommend the basics in terms of weight lifting to keep muscle mass. It's very difficult to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time...and if you can, you do it very slowly with a diet and workout routine dialed in.

As far as simply getting you into shape, I'd have to say the P90x routines, if done properly, are actually pretty good. Yeah, you have "chest" and "back" days and whatnot, but the exercises are varied enough that you're getting a pretty good workout all around, and if you're keeping up with Tony, you get a decent cardio workout, too.

I'm not saying it's the end-all-be-all of working out, but really, if you're simply trying to get in all-around shape and look better, I think P90x works as advertised.

If you're training for a specific sport, then you'd benefit more from specialized training designed to maximize your results in that sport.

It really all depends on your goals. But if you were to do P90x, you would probably notice an improvement in your hockey game, simply because you're working out. Could you improve more? Probably.