Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yakus

Master Haglund's topic

I got the same "hot spots" on my Tour Code 1's after about 4 months of consistent play. The inner padding in the Code 1's is quite pillowy when you first get them, but it quickly broke down and I had bone on hard plastic. I did not wear through the inner liner, just the padding behind it had broken down as to provide no cushion. Switching to RBK for me has solved that issue for myself personally. I currently have 2 pairs of RBK 7K ice boots, one for ice and the other with a Sprung A8 conversion.

No, we're talking about heel spurs/Haglund bumps...it looks like a nice golfball coming out of your heel...I've been fortunate enough to not get it.

I had it removed off of my right heel. Hurt like a bitch for a good 3 months afterward and still hurts if I hit the scar against anything by accident.

http://i33.tinypic.com/igjh2p.jpg

Does this look like the same thing you guys are talking about? I've had this on my heel for about 4-5 years now and it has never really hurt much until I switched over to Tour boots. Now it rubs all the time and becomes raw and calloused after each game. It is not normally as red as it is in the picture, I just played for 4 hours last night.

I went to a foot surgeon a few weeks ago and she just called it a bone spur. She injected it with steroid stuff and it got smaller, but the bone has already been formed I believe.

WOW....mine didn't look that bad. Mine was much smaller and much lower on my heel and off to the right a bit.

No, we're talking about heel spurs/Haglund bumps...it looks like a nice golfball coming out of your heel...I've been fortunate enough to not get it.

I had it removed off of my right heel. Hurt like a bitch for a good 3 months afterward and still hurts if I hit the scar against anything by accident.

http://i33.tinypic.com/igjh2p.jpg

Does this look like the same thing you guys are talking about? I've had this on my heel for about 4-5 years now and it has never really hurt much until I switched over to Tour boots. Now it rubs all the time and becomes raw and calloused after each game. It is not normally as red as it is in the picture, I just played for 4 hours last night.

I went to a foot surgeon a few weeks ago and she just called it a bone spur. She injected it with steroid stuff and it got smaller, but the bone has already been formed I believe.

WOW....mine didn't look that bad. Mine was much smaller and much lower on my heel and off to the right a bit.

It doesn't normally look that bad...that is just result of 8 hours of hard skating the past 2 days.

I have a few on both feet but there was only one period of time where they hurt. They don't bother anymore though. I used to make donut pads and they would go down a bit, as well as not hurt. Kind of looks like I have two ankle bones on my right foot.

I used to get huge callouses on the side of my big toe on either foot; I filed 'em down for a while but then I changed skates and eventually they went away. I do suggest you see you dr.

I have the exact lumps on my big toes... and i have snaller lumps on my heels.. i didnt know it was a condition or anything :S

i developed the bumps on the heels from wearin vapor xxxx's for about 6months. they arent getting any worse in my one95's but they arent going down either. i dont think they are bone yet but they are hard. gives a good heel lock ;P

a guy on my team had one on his ankle which was the most revolting thing ive ever seen. was like an actual golf ball sized bump coming out about 1-1.5" off normal

I Used to have them , they were pretty big , never hurt , after awhile i forgot about them then i saw this topic which reminded me of them , they don't seem as big as before

My opinion has not changed since 2005! If you notice it and do something about it in time, it eventually mostly goes away. If you ignore the source of the problem--your skates inflaming the back of the heel, then eventually a bone grows underneath the bump, and you are permanently screwed. It is not an easy operation to remove it, as there is a lot of important foot stuff in the way before they can grind down the bone spur.

I wonder, in this age of modern medicine, if any foot surgeon out there has come up with a minimally invasive way to grind down the bone spur. If they could do it without going thru the tendon, it would probably be a simple thing to recover from!

My opinion has not changed since 2005! If you notice it and do something about it in time, it eventually mostly goes away. If you ignore the source of the problem--your skates inflaming the back of the heel, then eventually a bone grows underneath the bump, and you are permanently screwed. It is not an easy operation to remove it, as there is a lot of important foot stuff in the way before they can grind down the bone spur.

I wonder, in this age of modern medicine, if any foot surgeon out there has come up with a minimally invasive way to grind down the bone spur. If they could do it without going thru the tendon, it would probably be a simple thing to recover from!

My foot surgeon made it sound like it was a really simple operation. She told me that there was no immediate need to do anything as long as it didn't bother me too much, but if I wanted to she could perform surgery to remove it. She didn't say it would be difficult.

Good, maybe they do have new ways to do it. I would be pretty specific in asking her about my achiles tendon if I was thinking about the operation! If it is right in the way, I do not see how they can do it without cutting the tendon. And then you would be out of commision for 1/2 a year, and may have a case where you can not skate the same even after it is healed. If they can get at the bone without cutting the tendon in any way, it probably IS an easy operation. Check out this pic:

rhttp://www.eorthopod.com/images/ContentImages/foot/foot_achilles/foot_achilles_tendon_treatment01.jpg

You do not need to remove it unless it is hurting you a lot. It is just another bone--just one you do not need.

It used to be VERY common. The orthopaedist that my kid saw said that 2/3 of the U Lowell hockey players had it at the time.

Hi Guys,

for them who have it on the heel like me too-

my Doc here in germany told me it´s like a GEL that builds up cause the Achilles Tendon gets stressed in strong or tight fitting shoes. He told me he can suck it out with a syrange but only when its not too hard cause when it gets older it gets harder and the Gel is not "suckable" enough anymore but if it´s not hurting he told me its not a big thing.

Please excuse my english on this i´ve tried my best.

Greetings from germany

Bye guys

First time poster, but I've been reading this forum since I started skating 2 years ago.

Synopsis of problem: I'm developing Haglund's deformity on my heel (aka "pump bumps or Bauer bumps"), likely from my Vapor 25's that I purchased in March of this year. From accounts from others on the board, it seems that acting quickly can reduce the progression of the bumps and reduce their size. What should I do?

Background: I'm a relatively new skater, but I play 4-5 times per week (including one skating lesson/week). I really love playing hockey and would like to advance/improve as much as possible. I play adult rec league at about the intermediate level. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that I had quite a large bump on my heel, just to the right of my Achille's tendon. It doesn't hurt at all, and isn't golf ball sized like others mentioned, but is definitely alarming. I don't want this to progress any further and am willing to do whatever I need to to halt the damage. This includes getting more appropriate skates for my feet or modifying my existing ones with pads, socks, or whatever else may help.

The Vapors are my 2nd pair of skates and they're still in good shape. My first pair were NBH Supreme 30's which I destroyed skating 4 times per week. I bought the Vapors when my Supremes were no longer skatable due to crimping, and they were the only skate in stock for almost 2 months at my LHS (I needed new skates right when all of the stock was being eliminated for new product lines and the Graf stock was being switched to the new liners). Basically, I couldn't wait to get new skates and made the Vapors work because I couldn't wait another month for skates, and didn't have confidence buying on the 'net.

My feet are a little wonky and are pretty flat. When I got the Vapors I had to heat bake them twice and punch out the arches due to intense blistering. The heels have always felt a little loose. I use wax laces to help keep things tight in an attempt to lock my heel in place. If I had my choice, I would like to have tried Grafs or CCMs, but there was no stock yet.

So, do others have advice about what I should do next? My LHS has good stock options now (RBK, Graf, CCM, NBH, Easton) and I will definitely be going to try on a whole bunch, but I'm not sure if that is necessary at this point (I don't exactly have a lot of extra cash, so this is a big decision). Let me know if I need to provide any more info.

Thanks in advance!

Its pretty much a common thing with bauer skates. you can try "Mole Skin" which is somewhat like another padding. And as for other brands the RBk Pumps would be helpfull

If you are absolutely positive your skates are the right fit there isn't a whole lot you can do. It happens, and there really isn't any negative health effect.

You could get skates that fit. There is no reason to let the problem go and get worse.

You could get skates that fit. There is no reason to let the problem go and get worse.

Do you think the problem will lessen with different skates? I guess the thrust of my question was do I need new skates or should I try and modify my existing ones to help them fit better. Does anyone have any experience with switching skates and having reduction in the size of the bumps?

I just thought i'd chime in. I used to have bauer vapor XXs and 8000s and they gave me haglund's deformity on my right heel. When I got a pair of one90s (I got a nice heel lock out of them) and my heels felt alot better and my bump stayed the same size. I think skates that properly fit your heel should keep the bumps at the same size maybe even reduce them.

Do you think the problem will lessen with different skates? I guess the thrust of my question was do I need new skates or should I try and modify my existing ones to help them fit better. Does anyone have any experience with switching skates and having reduction in the size of the bumps?

Yes, new skates that fit properly should resolve the issue. I would switch before the problem gets any worse.

i tried everything and ended up having surgery....probly not what you wanted to hear but id get a stiff padded skate maybe so your foot doesnt move as much

Yes, new skates that fit properly should resolve the issue. I would switch before the problem gets any worse.

Thanks for the input. I'll be looking at new skates at the start of the new year.

I went from never having heard of this problem to having some pretty amazingly large bumps on both heels in a matter of six months earlier this year. the only thing I was ever able to figure out for an instigator was that it corresponded to my getting new skates that were not properly fitted, (half size too big). they were bauer vapors so I assumed I needed to get away from bauer since everyone claims it's the "bauer bump." so I decided to buy new skates, and tried on everything under the sun in the process; I spent a good several hours at the LHS being properly fitted, and which skate ended up being the only model that felt good on my foot? the XXV's. so I bought 'em again, but in the proper size. since then, I've had significantly less problem with the bumps feeling sore/inflamed after skating.. and I don't think they are getting any bigger. they do still hurt sometimes if I am not careful to get a good heel lock- unfortunately I have wide, flat feet but a narrow heel (and I fail the pencil test miserably in almost anything you could put on my foot), so I basically have to get to games and practice a good 15 minutes earlier than normal just to make sure I can sit, tie, re-tie and maybe even re-tie my skates to get a strong heel lock. if you can get skates that definitely fit correctly and don't allow ANY movement, that's the key to avoiding future development of the bumps.

for the bump you already have, there isn't much you can do other than avoid aggravating it further- if you can get your skate punched in the spot where it sits, I'd recommend it- it has helped mine. avoiding pressure on the bump itself will prevent pain and inflammation during and after skating, but to avoid future bump development it's most important to avoid both the pressure and any movement.

I'm no expert, but I've read a ton about this all over these boards and every other medical resource I could get my hands on- there are so many different "opinions" but the common thread seems to be that they develop from aggravation of the achilles tendon and nearby bursa and then said swelling just compounds the problem and leads to either bursitis, scarring and inflammation of the surrounding tissue and tendon itself, and eventually growth of bone from the ankle into that area.. or a combination of them all.

so... invest the time/energy into making sure your skates fit like a glove and your heel cannot move at all while skating, and do what you can to avoid pressure on the bump you have. get to know the bump, it's not going away.

You need to fix this problem. If you continue to allow your heel to slide, it will continue to get worse. The bigger the bumb gets the harder it is to get skates that will properly fit. I recently had a customer that had left his bumps get so bad that he tried grafs, ccms, and bauer, and nothing worked. He ended up getting a pair of custom skates, which ended up fixing his problem. You don't necessarily need customs but I have not seen much work in terms of adjusting to make a problem skate work well. The only trick I have seen work before was baking the skates and while they were still hot we squeezed the heel tighter so it could lock the heel down. I am not saying this is a good idea and would fix your problem, but it may work it other ideas dont.

Is it right to blame the skates ?

I'm Norwegian, excuse if I spell wrong.....

I got my Micron Medalic in 1987.....

I played to 1997, when I got ankylosing spondylitis -a kind of arthritis....

After that I used to skate ocasionally, if I manged to bend enough to dress an tighten the skates.....

In 2003 I got a painful akhilles. I got MR / X-ray.

I had bursitis (Inflammation where the the akhilles is attached to the heelbone) and Haglunds (-Probably a Swedish name)

I was was scheduled for surgery after the summer, but got better during the summer....I recall I were 4 weeks in Turkey, I got pain I the chest due to ankylosing spondylitis and had 3 cortisone shots in my ass ( depot ) It helped, and also helped for the heel. So I called of surgery.....

I had previously had surgery in my leg , and it got worse so I was not to happy letting anyone cut me.

Cortisone right in the akhilles are not recommended, but this depot probably helped me.

Today it's no problem.

What I'm trying to say..... I skated very little at the time I got Haglunds, but I was running a littlebit-only in the forest on soft surface and uphill to reduce impact on knee and hips.

The part of my life when I skated a lot I had NO problem, and the skates were the same-and the same I use today (I LOVE them, after 21 years..... the closest opponent are Micron Mega 10-90 and 10-70 )

Maybe its not the skates, visit a doctor and maybe try cortisone before you let some one with a knife drug you and stab you.

If you feel some pressure points, you could probably heat the skates and press out space with a tool, not only lace them to your foot. Or place a piece of felt with a cut out to reduce the pressure.

Just my opinion.

Happy holidays-and get well.