Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dsjunior1388

NHL curve limit

The interesting bit is that the cameras actually caught him stepping on his blade to break his stick and going to the bench so he wouldn't have to take the penalty.

The interesting bit is that the cameras actually caught him stepping on his blade to break his stick and going to the bench so he wouldn't have to take the penalty.

That's an additional penalty under USA Hockey rules. I believe it's a misconduct. Personally, I think it should be a game misconduct.

That's an additional penalty under USA Hockey rules. I believe it's a misconduct. Personally, I think it should be a game misconduct.

A little matter of semantics but I think Spezza heard the Leafs bench yelling for his stick. That's when he did it. Then he went to the bench to grab a new stick and then the ref came to take the stick that he broke.

I believe if he tried to break it when the ref was asking for it, then that would be the 10 min misconduct.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/599327

Jason Spezza shaved off too much of his blade... Didn't know that's in the rule book as well.

The blade of the stick shall not be more than three inches (3") in width at any point between the heel and ½” in from the mid-point of the tip of the blade, nor less than two inches (2")

That's pretty funny.

I wonder how many guys use illegal sticks every game...

I wouldn't be surprised if 40% of the NHL used illegal sticks.

To me, I thought that when he heard the Leaf bench talking about his stick, he broke it so that the ref could not measure the curve or alternately to get a new, legal, stick innocently from the bench. He may have been surprised that the depth of his stick was measured rather than the curve.

To me, I thought that when he heard the Leaf bench talking about his stick, he broke it so that the ref could not measure the curve or alternately to get a new, legal, stick innocently from the bench. He may have been surprised that the depth of his stick was measured rather than the curve.

That makes sense, there is a picture on PHEW of some spezza pro stocks and the curve looks illegal to me.

do you think the sens head coach, or any in the league, is aware of players doctoring their sticks?

I would assume so. Not to mention likely all the equipment managers.

This should cover things I think:

A curve is better than a straight blade because it helps to rotate the puck faster making it shoot straighter (think musket vs rifle) and places the puck farther out on the toe of the blade, this increases speed of the puck (think the difference in your throwing speed if your arm was 12" shorter). A hook-like toe curve can help a player 'spoon' the puck up into an area of the net they want better.

A big banana curve however adds a 'knuckle ball' unpredictability and I believe that is why the original curve limit was introduced.