Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kovy_Ribs_Fedo

hockey player's prime?

How old do you think a hockey player reach his prime?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tough question depending on the player and how you define "prime". I'll use myself as an example (obviously not an NHL player....).

I was way faster when I was 19-22 and could use my speed to burn people, but that's all I had.

I'm 26 now (turn 27 in 2 weeks). I've slowed down a lot (either that or kids have just gotten a lot faster.) But my overall game is better now than it was 5-6 years ago. I see the plays develop better, make smarter passes, have a better vision of "knowing when to shoot, knowing when to pass", play a hell of a lot better defensively, and make way less mistakes. I'm less flash and dash now, but I quietly play a better game.

Overall I'd say my physical prime was when I was 21. My body might ache a bit more now after games, but my general hockey prime is now. And whose to say that? I may be a better overall player in 5 years....

I would say around 25 for most NHL players. Gretz and Mario put up their best numbers before the age of 30 and I would expect that, on average, most players put up their best numbers once they were in the league a couple of years and were still young.

Before I even voted I was thinking NHL not regular hockey players. For NHLers I would definatly say around 29-30. Lots of experience, and lots of go and fire still left in them. As for the regular guy I would say from 16-17.

I curently am in my prime and I am 21, probably cause i practiced 5 times a week last year and got in great shape, I sure hope everything will be holding up so I can ameliorate my play this year and maybe reach my prime next year ;).

I couldn't tell you a general age. However from what I've seen generally Forwards reach their prime the quickest, then Defense then Goalies. Defense takes a little longer to learn than forward and its more of a thinking game where you need to be able to adapt to everything all of the time. Goalies take the longest because they generally have to step into a team, take over the back-up role, move upto starter and then after excelling they move upto the next level and repeat the process. Obviously there are exceptions to these rules, but this is generally how I see these things at a high level.