Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BLKHKhockey

Yes, another "which stick" thread

I just checked out the AK27 shafts and with a blade, they don't even come up to my chin. So the XL seems like the winner but i still can't decide between the AK(is the S15 blade a good match? If not can someone point me out to a better blade for <$50?)($147), or another Mission Titanium OPS($109). I really like my current Titanium but I'm playing with it with about 1/5 of the blade gone. Are 2 pieces generally more durable? My dad says 2 pieces break too easily. Is this true? I thought 2 pieces were more durable.

Any input would be great.

I find that two pieces have better durability for me, especially standard shafts (including the AK27). I've heard a lot of positives about the one 95 blade. I haven't used a one 95, but my one 90 blade has been awesome.

Any 2 piece, if properly installed (if you can't put a blade in, you shouldn't be living) will last just as long as any OPS (normally just a 2 piece stick with graphics over the fuse point). The advantage of a 2 piece stick? When it breaks you buy a new blade or shaft, not a whole new stick.

AK with one95 blade is a great fit, I have been using this setup on and off for a while last season and generally liked it a lot. Personally I prefered the one95 blade over the AK blade. I dont have any experiences with easton blades but from reading various threads on these boards I got the impression that they are not great durability wise and tend to chip pretty easily.

The major problem of the AK is its shortness, I have to put a really long plug into the shaft to make it useable. The XL only comes in pretty stiff flexes (100 and 110 afaik) unfortunately. Keep that in mind.

The S15 blade breaks at the neck. That's its' weak point. If you go to your LHS and admire the S15 blade, the hosel part or the neck, whatever you wanna call it, has a weird indentation on both sides that create something like THIS if you look at it dead on " )( " - The point of this was to accommodate the s15 shaft. Unfortunately, that flared out part of the blade is where it's known to break. A friend of mine went through 3 in 3 months.

Depending on what shaft your dad is talking about? Most shafts have the same durability, if not more durability, than a OPS & as discussed, they tend to be cheaper, hold the same grade in quality of a OPS & if a piece breaks on a 2 piece? Just replace that piece instead of needing to drop another 150-200$'s on a OPS. My Nike-Bauer Supreme ONE95 2 piece is running nice and strong after months of hard wear and tear. The paint hasn't even chipped yet :rolleyes:

As for blades? There are about 3 or 4 threads where I've posted how durable this ONE95 blade is. It is a tank. It is running strong to this day & I have yet to switch out the blade on my shaft. Again, the blade is MONTHS old and has gone through lots of games, practices, stick-puck time for about 5 days a week and once during weekends. I understand that you are trying to grab a blade that is under the 50$ mark. 10$'s more for a ONE95 blade isn't too much to ask for, is it? After-all, the blade is raved upon on these forums - Look at it this way... If you spend 60$'s on a great, durable blade -- It should be enough to save you money down the road. Assuming you buy a Easton blade & encounter the durability issue like most of us have at some point or another -- a typical easton blade costs about 50 bucks where I live... that's 100$'s for two blades ( the second one would be the replacement which would come sooner than NOT, unfortunately).

STEER TO THE ONE95 blade :D

i have also been looking at the AK27 shaft. the $70CDN price on the ak27 blades had me wondering if it would just be better to get a OPS ak27 that i found for $135. Only thing is the curve is a kovalev and i was looking for something more aggressive such as an afinogenov... ahhh what to do...

I also have to recommend the one-95 blade. It shoots well and has great puck feel. It's also good weight wise. I'd love to try it with an ak-27 xlong shaft myself.

once again, the one95 blade is very similar if not the same as the mission prostocks blades, which to me are the best blade ever made, light, durable, amazing feel, stiff too...and i've heard amazing reviews on the ak27 + one95 setup

I just checked out the AK27 shafts and with a blade, they don't even come up to my chin. So the XL seems like the winner but i still can't decide between the AK(is the S15 blade a good match? If not can someone point me out to a better blade for <$50?)($147), or another Mission Titanium OPS($109). I really like my current Titanium but I'm playing with it with about 1/5 of the blade gone. Are 2 pieces generally more durable? My dad says 2 pieces break too easily. Is this true? I thought 2 pieces were more durable.

Any input would be great.

AK with one95 blade is a great fit, I have been using this setup on and off for a while last season and generally liked it a lot. Personally I prefered the one95 blade over the AK blade. I dont have any experiences with easton blades but from reading various threads on these boards I got the impression that they are not great durability wise and tend to chip pretty easily.

The major problem of the AK is its shortness, I have to put a really long plug into the shaft to make it useable. The XL only comes in pretty stiff flexes (100 and 110 afaik) unfortunately. Keep that in mind.

How tall are you guys. I've been seriously considering an AK, I am 6'1" and cut my sticks to 58.5." Is the AK going to be short for me, should I go with an extra long?

Edit: 58.5" from Butt of shaft to heel of blade.

Well, the shaft itself is only 51" and the blades only add about 6" if that. Where do your sticks come up to on you? It's weird that you cut your sticks at your height.

BTW, I'm 6'4.

Mine come up to just about a half inch under my chin in shoes.

Man, that's short. I like to have them up to my nose on shoes, but I'm thinking of trying out shorter sticks because I think a 4.5" plug messes up the puck feel and balance. Plus, it's illegal.

Man, that's short. I like to have them up to my nose on shoes, but I'm thinking of trying out shorter sticks because I think a 4.5" plug messes up the puck feel and balance. Plus, it's illegal.

I notice most AK27 (at least the gold one that I want) come with a plug. is it 51" with the plug? or 51 without?"

The S15 blade breaks at the neck. That's its' weak point. If you go to your LHS and admire the S15 blade, the hosel part or the neck, whatever you wanna call it, has a weird indentation on both sides that create something like THIS if you look at it dead on " )( " - The point of this was to accommodate the s15 shaft. Unfortunately, that flared out part of the blade is where it's known to break. A friend of mine went through 3 in 3 months.

That indented flare has nothing to do with being accommodating to the S15 shaft. The S15 is a standard shaft despite it's "Parabolic Flex Zone" (old Z-Bubble terminology, but seeing as they're the same stick, it doesn't matter). The S15 blade is also a standard blade, but the point of the "indentations" in the hosel was pure marketing only from back when it was called the Z-Carbon and was an attempt to convince people that the blade would ever so slightly flex there and give the lowest kickpoint possible. Most people know that that section of the blade never really flexed at all, for if it were to give at all, it would break. If anything, it was a very slight weight savings. However, in all the Z-Carbons/S15 blades I've ever seen while working at a proshop, using the blades for 7+ years, and playing college hockey... I never saw a single one break there.

The 09 version is 51" without the plug so the gold one is probably the same.

the gold (08 version) is 51" with a 3" wood plug. It is actually only 48" of composite material. I am 6'2 and play D and like my sticks up to my nose in skates so it is definetly too short for my style of play. It sounds like the newer version is longer.