Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hotsauce

bauer vapor rx:60 inline

www.hockeymonkey.com is already offering the skates at an insane price of $699.99US. what is going on here? i can buy the ice version for $599.99US and just swap chassis and save $100.

does anyone else see anything wrong here?

Ice boot, plus chassis, plus wheels, plus bearings and you're looking at around the same price.

Ice Boot: 600

Chassis: 140

Wheels: 110

Bearings: 45

That's damn near $900 to have the same skate with the ice boot.

Ice boot, plus chassis, plus wheels, plus bearings and you're looking at around the same price.

This is exactly how I explained it to somebody else who mentioned the high price.

i already have chassis. already have wheels. already have bearings. can get put on for free too.

Then by all means, buy the ice boot and convert. But comparing the price of just a boot and chassis versus an entire setup that you get with the RX:60 is asinine.

ice conversions are also you getting to pick and choose components and not mass produced from a factory. Add to that every comperable skate will be at least $100 less for a factory built skate. Conversions have always cost more, why should I bother as a consumer looking at this skate when with the components I already have it would be cheaper to convert than buy this? A lot of people are in this boat with already having the parts necessary to go that route.

Those prices also assume people are paying retail for components, scour Ebay and it's much cheaper, furthering how out of whack the pricing seems. But it is pretty and says Bauer on the side.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-roller-h...or-rx60-sr.html

There you go HDF

as I posted on IW's boards, you can currently get two pairs of Commander Blacks right now for LESS than one pair of the RX60s. Skates will wear out eventually even if your foot has quit growing.

Also the assurance that you still have a warrenty

$700 is pretty much what I expected, the ice skate is $600, how much more for the chassis, wheels, bearings, hardware than for the L2.1 Power holder and steel? People who bemoan the price of skates these days forget there are skates available at every price point - choose your poison and stop your whingeing!

Think yourself lucky! With the inflated prices of equipment in the UK my forthcoming X:60 conversion is tallying about $1,040.

$750 for the skates

$100 for the chassis

$100 for wheels and bearings

$90 for the tongues

I personally cannot imagine that this skate will stay at $700 dollars for long. THere are going to be the people that run out and buy it right away, but the price will come down quickly when your average roller player is unable to afford it. I see it more as Bauer saying that they are selling a quality skate, unlike anything they have made before for roller. Same marketing scheme as the iphone.

The price tag is very steep...and it is not fair to compare the X:60 to the RX:60 boot to boot comparison because they are not the same boot. X60 Full carbon outsole while RX60 are texallium (among other differences, skewed in favor of the X60 ice boot). I understand wheels, bearings, and the chassis cost money but still seems like a lot of money to spend on something that will eventually wear out.

Virtually everything you buy wears out?!?!

You drop 4k on a TV, and eventually it breaks?

The price is the price ... you pay ... you don't ... it is an easy choice to make.

The simple maths with gear comes down to ... if I pay 200% more for something will it make me either ...

A) 200% better or B) 200% happier when playing with it/in it

.... for most MSH'ers it is always the later ... having an "unusual" interest in kit and spending money we do not have on that kit is what defines us!

If we were all rich and money was no hurdle what would we do ... buy everything custom and in large quanity just becuase we could! You have only got to look at some of the stick colelctions MSH'ers have ... and I assume not all of them have BIll Gates' bank balance.

Most people will not buy the RX60 boots ... but I bet a lot of readers of this site will!

you seemed to key in on the least important part of what i said :mellow: ...

Yea obviously all things wear out.

My main gripe is the fact that you are buying less of a boot than the ice hockey boot all the while paying more for it. And yes I understand there are other components involved (wheels bearings chassis...), but the texallium outsole is found one the X50 which costs $469 on HM whereas the RX60 (texallium outsole too) are $699 on the same site. $230 difference...

Very crude comparison I understand just trying to understand the reason for the seemingly high price of the RX60's.

my real issue is not the price itself, it's the pricing precedent it sets. If Bauer successfully sells this skate then the other companies could likely follow suit on higher prices and we as consumers end up paying more for the same product. While costs may go up, a 25%+ jump for a top end skate ($550 to $700) is a bit much.

So don't buy the top end skate.

Someone has conveniently ignored the other major feature of the X:60 over the X:50 in their features vs. price comparison. One of the main points players have repeatedly spoken about is the comfort and performance of the liner system on the X:60.

Bauer more than any company has been at the leading edge of advancements in skate technology - for ice. They have never committed their top end product to inline in the past. Personally I am very pleased to see them finally do so. This might be simply p.p. but it is backed up by the vast majority of high level players in leagues across the world, Bauer make the best skates for hockey. Mission and Tour boots do not compare in fit or performance. The price of the RX:60 is about what I thought it'd be and I for one am delighted that we have such a product in inline after all these years.

So don't buy the top end skate.

It doesn't stop just at the top end skate though, that's the problem. It will go up and down the lines. Profit margins say if skate A will sell at $700, then skate B will be incremently less to fit a pricing scheme despite what the same feature set cost in prior years. Maximum profit is the company's job, so no faulting them for that, but it bites when we as consumers end up stuck with the bill.

No one attacked Bauer's innovation, but please don't drown in the kool-aid. Mission has been pushing innovation for years, they just didn't have the same financial resources as Bauer has had until this year and still managed to push the edge quite well. Two of the best inline players in the world are in Tour boots right now and always will be. Fit is subjective, performance is in the player not their gear. Because the RX60 is very close to a top product (and more than likely a top product in itself) coupled with the hype around it they can slap a $700 price tag on it.

Time will tell if it just becomes an excuse for all companies to sell high, seems a bit against the general principles of the market though. Tour, RBK and others would surely see this as a prime opportunity to get in under Bauer (especially when the next model is at about X:40 level spec) but time will tell. Over the years prices have remained fairly consistent for the same spec skate and I don't see that changing (Soldier, Wicked 5, He5500 etc). It looks more to me like a new level of product.

The people I have spoken to about the skate say its the best fitting/performing skate they have ever worn.

As for Mission pushing the innovation, yeah some, even though a lot of it didn't work! Pretty much all of the 07 Wicked skates are collapsing (just like the He series before them!).

there is no X40 (ala RX40) spec skate in the catalog, which confuses me further on the general gameplan going from the RX60 to the RX25 with nothing in between. Between the two brands they flood the lower end models to mid, let Mission have the whole upper-mid line and then top it with the new king of price RX60

I have no doubts it'll be an amazing product, but everytime there's a big jump in price like this it sets a bit of a future trend for increases, which trickle down. Nature of the beast unfortunately, and with how compressed pricing gaps seem in the lower model Missions that might be part of the strategy, increase some price points to spread the gap. In the mid-late 90s the glass ceiling was $400 for a top skate off the shelf, then Nike came along with a $500 skate. Mission plugged the odd $400+ model every couple of years and finally with the HE10K had a skate in their line that exceeded that $400 as a standard model. Every company is now over the $400 mark for a top skate, granted it's just been the last handful of years that it finally happened across the board. Assuming competition stays the course, everyone elses top skates will be around $600 in a few years. If you've ever worked in sales you understand how relative value amongst competitors works. You always want to be cheaper and better, but not so much cheaper that your product is viewed as inferior.

Again fit and performance are subjective. I'd say next to my Boss Blacks the old Nexed Stinger was the best fitting highest performing skate I've ever owned, but that's because both work for me. There will be others that say a RBK 9K ice boot with a Hummer chassis is the best fitting, highest performing they've ever had. Some people will claim it's whatever flavor of the month skate has just hit.