Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockey Fan 51

Flying with hockey skates/steel?

I've been wanting to try out the FBV sharpening and don't know anyone around here that offers it.

I'm flying out to Colorado in a few weeks to visit my brother and he said Players Bench was getting it in so I thought I'd bring my skates or at least the steel.

Anyone know if I'll get through security with them in my carry-on?

Honestly I wouldnt fly with them carry on as they do have an edge and if the TSA screener is being a dick you may have an issue.. If you dont plan to check bags maybe sending them via UPS to your brothers house is an option...

No way they make it on Carry on. Even pros can't pull that off. When Corey Locke was sent up to Montreal 2 years ago...his gear didn't make it in time for him to play. He mentioned that he wanted to at least carry on his skates...cause he could borrow everything else...but they wouldn't allow it.

haha, shoulda had the EQ guy rip the holders or steel off..and the MTL Eq guy can put on some fresh ones when he got there.

Overnight the steel to your brother, and carry on the skates on the plane.

Or put them in checked baggage

Best solution

I was just thinking about the same thing, Im flying down to Va beach next week to pickup a new car and my bro wanted me to play some pickup with him. Not checking any bag cause its only a few days. Maybe I will just check my gear back LOL

what about sticks?

If you want to try the FBV there are a number of mail order sharpeners such as (www.ProFormanceEdges.com) you can mail your blades and have done. Best protection to mail in a re-useable mailing tube, and you can mail several pairs in one tube for same priority rate.

I was just thinking about the same thing, Im flying down to Va beach next week to pickup a new car and my bro wanted me to play some pickup with him. Not checking any bag cause its only a few days. Maybe I will just check my gear back LOL

what about sticks?

Most airlines have sports equipment policies, a quick search on the actual airline website will give you the relevant information. As those policies vary from one airline to the next, there is no way to tell you exactly what that policy will be.

what about sticks?

Most airlines have sports equipment policies, a quick search on the actual airline website will give you the relevant information. As those policies vary from one airline to the next, there is no way to tell you exactly what that policy will be.

This is true and this would address any questions and issues with regard to gear bags and sticks but TSA and the individual security screeners are the ones who have the final say with regard to who and what gets back to the secured areas and actual boarding gates as well as to what gets into the cabin of the plane.

what about sticks?

This is true and this would address any questions and issues with regard to gear bags and sticks but TSA and the individual security screeners are the ones who have the final say with regard to who and what gets back to the secured areas and actual boarding gates as well as to what gets into the cabin of the plane.

I know how the airline industry works. The only question you posed in the quote above was "what about sticks?" and each airline has slightly differing regulations on that type of equipment.

what about sticks?

I know how the airline industry works. The only question you posed in the quote above was "what about sticks?" and each airline has slightly differing regulations on that type of equipment.

Sorry Chad I misunderstood your original post and you have my apologies as I didn’t understand that you were referencing the stick question..

Last time I flew with my stick bag it was treated as oversize/ extra luggage same as a set of golf clubs and I paid extra for them..

No prob, it happens. As for the steel, mail it. It only takes one overzealous member of the Tub Stacking Agency to screw up the whole trip.Or you could always throw the steel in with your sticks. That said, it would probably be cheaper to buy a wood stick when you get there than it would be to pay the bag fees to take yours.

That's a good name for them. I got pulled aside so they could check for explosives. In the elastic wrap on my knee. When I was wearing shorts.

Now, I don't know about you, but I would think your average terrorist trying to bomb an airline with something strapped to their knee would wear a pair of chinos. You know, like about half of the people at the airport are wearing and you could never see anything underneath. That was the trip from hell, and the one that convinced me to never fly US Air again if that goal is within my power. But that's another story.

Another great one I loved was back when they were banning toenail clippers, I go though security, a few people get toenail clippers confiscated from their purses or whatnot. After I'm though, there is a shop with a jar on the counter full of toenail clippers. Seriously.

The only thing they did after 9/11 that actually improved security in the cabin was installing a security door for the cockpit. They have stepped up inspection of checked baggage, and that's a good thing.

On subject though, don't try it. I know people who have gotten them through, but only after arguments and discussion with higherups. Just check one of your group's bags and stick them in there.

my girlfriend and i both carried our skates on when we flew to new york. didnt even think twice about it and there wasn't a problem.

had it not been a last minute addition, i probably would have checked them

That's a good name for them. I got pulled aside so they could check for explosives. In the elastic wrap on my knee. When I was wearing shorts.

Now, I don't know about you, but I would think your average terrorist trying to bomb an airline with something strapped to their knee would wear a pair of chinos. You know, like about half of the people at the airport are wearing and you could never see anything underneath. That was the trip from hell, and the one that convinced me to never fly US Air again if that goal is within my power. But that's another story.

Another great one I loved was back when they were banning toenail clippers, I go though security, a few people get toenail clippers confiscated from their purses or whatnot. After I'm though, there is a shop with a jar on the counter full of toenail clippers. Seriously.

The only thing they did after 9/11 that actually improved security in the cabin was installing a security door for the cockpit. They have stepped up inspection of checked baggage, and that's a good thing.

On subject though, don't try it. I know people who have gotten them through, but only after arguments and discussion with higherups. Just check one of your group's bags and stick them in there.

I had to go through a background check and account for the last ten years of my life when I was hired. Even though I (somehow) passed that check, I still have to endure almost the same treatment as the illegal aliens and people with multiple felonies that pay to fly (obviously not all passengers fall into those two categories). The biggest difference? I get to keep my shoes and belt on when I go through the metal detector.

I had to do the 10 yr background check when I worked for a cargo airline in the late 90s.

I was 20 when I was hired. I had to tell them where I spent my summer vacation when I was 10.

I had to do the 10 yr background check when I worked for a cargo airline in the late 90s.

I was 20 when I was hired. I had to tell them where I spent my summer vacation when I was 10.

Evidently I checked the wrong box on one of the forms. The girl from HR pulled me out of my training class and started asking me questions before she showed me the form. So I told her that it was a mistake and that girl looked way older than 14 and we're still friends to this day. The look on her face was priceless. I let her squirm for a minute and then told her I checked the wrong box.