Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

Fill up your gas tank ASAP

Would love to see a bunch of people buy those Jetta BlueTDI diesels. Damn things get around 60mpg and look no stupid massive batteries in it.

Would love to see a bunch of people buy those Jetta BlueTDI diesels. Damn things get around 60mpg and look no stupid massive batteries in it.

My dad has been driving some variant on a diesel powered VW for 20+ years now. The most recent one he has actually will get out of its own way too. With the tiptronic transmission, it is actually reasonably quick and you don't fear merging with traffic. Mileage is down a little though, from his last one. Averaging 52 as opposed to the 55-60 he was getting previously. But the last one had a stick.

I'm glad that we at least have some well informed people here. It's ridiculous to talk to the lay person about hybrids and their environmental impact. I have never thought that they are the answer. I live up in Vermont and people are always so arrogant with their Priuses and it drives me nuts. Any car will get good mileage with an aerodynamic body, low rolling resistance tires, and a miniscule engine. The only case for a hybrid is city driving, where you can drive on batteries only.

I believe that diesels are a good bridge to fuel cells, which I believe are the best bet for the future. The main issue with fuel cells is that it takes more energy to get hydrogen than you receive by burning it. Also, the electricity to do this has to come from a clean power source. The fact that Leno and the guys over at Top Gear agree with this fortifies my beliefs. People who know what they are talking about agree that this is the way forward.

Ah the good old Green Mountian State. I don't miss those people at all.

I think the point Top Gear made on the hydrogen was a profound one. You can't get all of America to change their lifstyle to accomodate 40 miles of driving on electricity and 8 hours of charging and that's why hydrogen will be the wave of the future.

Most of the people up here are great. Unfortunately it's usually the transplants that are arrogant tree-hugging, granola eating, eco freaks.

The only way that any of this is going to change is the moment that hydrogen becomes cheaper than gas or diesel. End of story.

Most of the people up here are great. Unfortunately it's usually the transplants that are arrogant tree-hugging, granola eating, eco freaks.

The only way that any of this is going to change is the moment that hydrogen becomes cheaper than gas or diesel. End of story.

I hear you on the transplants. I grew up in Montpelier and went to college up at Lyndon State before I left.

And you are right, everything is a moot point until something comes along cheaper than gas or diesel, the almighty dollar rules most peoples lives these days.