Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Accord

Problem with my Graf 705's

There's a slight problem with my Graf 705's, on the inside front part of my foot the skates are just really going into me badly and they hurt a LOT to the point where I can't even wear them for more than 15 minutes. It's the inside part of the front of my foot which is also the widest part of my foot. The left skate hurts a little more than the right skate.

I'm not sure if this is just a case of me buying skates that were too narrow for my foot or mabye they just need to be broken in, but the pain is absolutely brutal. I have already skated for about 4 hours with them and the pain is still there and they're still killing my feet. I have not baked these skates because I used to have a pair of other skates that were ruined when my LHS baked them, so i'm a little tentative to have my new Graf 705's baked.

What can I do? I really don't want to have to bake them and will only do that as a last resort.

Here are two pics of the skates and I circled where the problem area was. You can tighten and loosen that section but it still doesn't help one bit.

grafproblem1.jpg

grafproblem2.jpg

It's probably that stupid toecap graf uses. Look how the boot really begins to taper at the point you mention.. They put a narrow cap on every skate they make....

It's probably that stupid toecap graf uses. Look how the boot really begins to taper at the point you mention.. They put a narrow cap on every skate they make....

What can I do to fix the problem?

Also, I took those pictures with my foot in the skates all laced up tight so you guys could see exactly what I mean.

Only options at this point are to have it punched out or buy new skates. Any decent pro shop should be able to punch out the boot.

Only options at this point are to have it punched out or buy new skates. Any decent pro shop should be able to punch out the boot.

ugh... I just spent almost $400 on these skates and there's no way i'd be able to return them since i've already used them :(.

What do you mean have the boot "punched out"?

You shouldn't have to buy new skates. Punching out refers to a machine that you can put the boot on and apply pressure to an area of the boot that is giving you problems. Works the best with Graf because of their absence of plastic. It's a very common thing (at least in my experience) to have your boots punched. I'm not sure that baking would do much for your problem, so I'd just ask the pro shop if they have a boot press.

You shouldn't have to worry about your skates being destroyed from baking. I am interested in the procedure that your LPS used in baking your last pair. I baked mine and it sped up the brake in a bit. Also, what procedures did they take in fitting you?

You shouldn't have to buy new skates. Punching out refers to a machine that you can put the boot on and apply pressure to an area of the boot that is giving you problems. Works the best with Graf because of their absence of plastic. It's a very common thing (at least in my experience) to have your boots punched. I'm not sure that baking would do much for your problem, so I'd just ask the pro shop if they have a boot press.

I just called my LHS and they said they can do the boot punch thing but there is a chance it probably would not work because the part of the boot that's giving me trouble is solid plastic and he also said if you expand/punch it out theres a good chance the plastic toe cap area would crack.

I have seen people with the exact same experience you are having, being that far up on the boot. The toe cap will not crack if the punching is done correctly. It is a bit of a pain to get the boot that far over on the press, but it can be done. The person doing the punching has to be careful not to burst the seams near the cap. Make sure you watch the person do it...have them punch a bit, then put them on your feet to see how they are. Don't let them do too much initially, because if it is punched too much, the boot will not return to its previous state. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to bake then punch. It's better to take time and smaller steps to achieve the best results.

Are those regular or wide?  Your forefoot is popping out of those...

its the depth of the boot. His instep may be too high causing his ankles too be pushed more forward. He needs a deeper boot probably a 707 or 727 since those are the other 2 deep boots.I would say 709 at all. As for chadd saying if the skates have to be punched out then the boot doesnt fit. well his heel may fit in there properly but he may have abit wider forefoot then his heel which means he should have to punch the skate out its quite normal man. If you dunno how to fit a skate you fit the heel and screw the persons forefoot since the heel is the most important part of the boot

Are those regular or wide?  Your forefoot is popping out of those...

its the depth of the boot. His instep may be too high causing his ankles too be pushed more forward. He needs a deeper boot probably a 707 or 727 since those are the other 2 deep boots.I would say 709 at all. As for chadd saying if the skates have to be punched out then the boot doesnt fit. well his heel may fit in there properly but he may have abit wider forefoot then his heel which means he should have to punch the skate out its quite normal man. If you dunno how to fit a skate you fit the heel and screw the persons forefoot since the heel is the most important part of the boot

If it doesn't fit the whole foot, everything else is just trying to make it work. With all of the options on the market, you should be able to find one boot that fits properly.

I just called my LHS where I bought them and they said that they can take them back but i'll have to pay a 20% restocking fee since they were used, which is fine by me and they're ordering me the same skates but in a wide version :D.

Thanks for everyones help!

Hockeydude is too.

I was just curious about the width - he's having the pain on the side of his feet, not the top.

However, it does look like the skate is not deep enough. A reputable shop would've spotted that out.

I just called my LHS where I bought them and they said that they can take them back but i'll have to pay a 20% restocking fee since they were used, which is fine by me and they're ordering me the same skates but in a wide version :D.

you dont need a wideer boot, a wide boot wont compensate for your instep being raised above the cut of the eyelots. a deeper boot will hold your foot in much better. The 705 boot is too shallow for your foot so while skating and leaning forward your inner ankle bone will be rubbing along the eyelot stays where a deeper boot your ankle will be much more supported and you wont get your ankles cut by the metal eyelots. My reccomendation is to call ur LHS back and have them order you in a 707 regular because that is the boot that you need not a 705. Because i guarantee that you will have cut ankle bones wearing the 705.

you dont need a wideer boot, a wide boot wont compensate for your instep being raised above the cut of the eyelots. a deeper boot will hold your foot in much better. The 705 boot is too shallow for your foot so while skating and leaning forward your inner ankle bone will be rubbing along the eyelot stays where a deeper boot your ankle will be much more supported and you wont get your ankles cut by the metal eyelots. My reccomendation is to call ur LHS back and have them order you in a 707 regular because that is the boot that you need not a 705. Because i guarantee that you will have cut ankle bones wearing the 705.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the 705 being too shallow for my foot and my ankles getting cut by the eyelets?

Different skates have different depths. If you have a thick foot, you want to go with something deeper.

Do what Sean says - put the skate on, and pull the tongue forward. Take a ruler or a pencil and put it across your foot at the third eyelet. If it touches both sides of the skate without touching your foot, the depth is correct. If it touches your foot and not the sides of the skates (basically, you can wobble it from side to side) then it is too shallow.

Different skates have different depths. If you have a thick foot, you want to go with something deeper.

Do what Sean says - put the skate on, and pull the tongue forward. Take a ruler or a pencil and put it across your foot at the third eyelet. If it touches both sides of the skate without touching your foot, the depth is correct. If it touches your foot and not the sides of the skates (basically, you can wobble it from side to side) then it is too shallow.

I'll go try that right now, thanks.

Different skates have different depths.  If you have a thick foot, you want to go with something deeper.

Do what Sean says - put the skate on, and pull the tongue forward.  Take a ruler or a pencil and put it across your foot at the third eyelet.  If it touches both sides of the skate without touching your foot, the depth is correct.  If it touches your foot and not the sides of the skates (basically, you can wobble it from side to side) then it is too shallow.

I'll go try that right now, thanks.

if u can barely get a finger behind the ruler its perfect anymore and its too deep.

I just tried the ruler trick and the ruler was just barely touching the top of my foot by a very small amount, but definitely not to the point where my foot was sticking up far enough so I could wobble the ruler from side to side even just a little bit.

What do you think I should do now that you guys are aware of the information I just posted?

BTW I really appreciate all of the help from everyone!