Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mnpucker

New Steel

So I got a pair of One95's a little over a year ago, size 8ee. I also got an X02 about a year ago. I enjoy sharpening skates it is good therapy. I sharpen and in the other room my boys are shooting pucks, passing and stickhandling. Bottom line is I sharpen my skates once a week whether they need it or not. So that being said I am in need of new stell. I have approx 1/2 inch or slightly less of steel. At this point my blademaster gauge is almost to the point I cannot attach it anymore.

So I need new steel. When I got the skates I coudl not get used to the length of the LS2 so I took them back and had them radiused to be closer to my previous steel on my flexlite 12's.

Any suggestions on what to replace the steel with? What is the ball park price of new steel? Also so I knwo what to ask for where do I find the current steel size? Is it printed on the steel somewhere?

Thanks

Replace the steel with... new steel :P . You get your new steel according to the size of the holder, which is marked on the back tower on the exterior, for an 8ee I think it's a 272, I could be wrong. I read on this forum very good things about step steel so try that one or your regular LS2 or LS2.1 steel.

the mirror finnish is supposed to hold an edge even better than the regular stepsteel. . . but I think its a pretty big step in price

regular stepsteel is already a hell of a lot better than stock steel as it is.

Your One95 skates came with Tuuk LS2.1 steel, which is longer than a regular LS2 steel. Size on a 8ee is indeed 272. So if you didn't like the radius on your One95's, you just need to replace them with a LS2 steel. If you want to go the Step Steel route, you would still want to get the one matching the LS2 steel.

Yeah my bad I meant LS2.1. Added length was not to my liking. Thanks for the great info. I think I will try the Step Steel. Hope there is a dealer here in Minnesota. So you think they will make a bigger difference than FBV?

Yeah my bad I meant LS2.1. Added length was not to my liking. Thanks for the great info. I think I will try the Step Steel. Hope there is a dealer here in Minnesota. So you think they will make a bigger difference than FBV?

If you're able, ya might consider a profiled Step with FBV.

The Vapor 60's have the standard LS2 holder and steel, correct?

Correct, on the x60 and the one95 only the steel is different, the holder is the same except one has red/black graphics and the other blue

I was doing some searches regarding LS2 holder sizes and came across a sizing chart that matches up the skate sizes and holder sizes. Found the chart on several sites. Question is this: My X60's size 8.5EE have a 272 LS2 holder but the charts all indicate that the holder should be a 280. Do I have the wrong holder on my skate?

I would definitely get them profiled and I own a X02 so FBV will be used.

Good luck finding them around here...I looked everywhere...Bit the bullet and got them through east west hockey (although there are other online retailers that have them). I showed them to Jesse (profiled them for me) and he had never seen them before...

SO....... other than just saying "better steel" can anyone tell me what is better about step steel blades? Are we talking metallurgically better? Closer tolerances when they are made? Easier machining\sharpening? What?

Are they that much better that it would be worth the effort and expense to get several sets sent down to Pittsburgh area? Bear in mind that I go through about 2 - 3 sets of runners a season.... I skate 150 - 200 games a year, have my own Blademaster machine and have been sharpening skates for ~35 years . At one point I had about 300 people coming to me regularly to get sharpened - both hockey and competative figure skaters - not bad for working out of my basement on word of mouth.... I can put a near mirror finish on my blades right off the grinder and when I'm feeling really anal I'll hand polish the hollow to get it really smooth. I see no reason not to skate on good edges.

SOOOO, are they worth it to me over the stock LS2's or Cobra's?

Its made from a higher grade steel than retail runners, sounds like you know what you're talking about though so you tell me if thats a good thing or not :P I found personally that you get more glide and go longer between sharpenings.

Thanks, I'm gonna have to look them up.... Just put new LS2's on but it wouldn't bother me to buy these and try them out.... would allow me to keep a freshly sharpened set of spares in the bag too! Just need to match the radius up. Did someone say that they have more steel - as in usable blade compared to factory? IMHO, the miniscule extra weight for a bit of extra blade height is far outweighed by being able to keep the plastic off the ice when really leaning on the edges.

Stuie,

Better grade of steel = good.... especially if it holds the edge longer. The glide is a factor of your depth\type of hollow (regular, flat radius or FBV), blade radius, and technique. I am assuming that your hollow looks smooth and polished with very little in the way of grinder marks. I'll sharpen my skates and see if I can get a decent pic of my edges right off the gringer and after hand polishing them....

here we go straight off the grinder... kinda hard to get a clear picture the lights are reflecting off of the hollow. Had to put paper on either side of the edges to try to get a good focus.

100_1002.jpg

Just for reference, if you know stuff about steel, Step steel is grade 404A. I think Easton retail is 304. I've always used the same hollow using Easton, Bauer, Graf and now Step steel and although I dare say my technique has improved you definitely get more glide with Step. It's something that Step claim and I can testify to, but I couldn't explain. I've swtiched back to Graf steel for a training session when my Step was getting sharpened so I've had a direct comparission between Step and Graf. I guess its because its harder. You tell me :P

Just for reference, if you know stuff about steel, Step steel is grade 404A. I think Easton retail is 304......

I know a little about steel... in a previous life I was going to school for Welding Engineering and worked\interned in the R&D metallurgy lab for Latrobe Steel. Gonna have to look up the differences in the grades... I "think" that the 304 is used on a lot of knife blades. Not sure about 404a..... anyone have any more info on the various grades of steel used in the different blades?

They need to find a happy medium between hardness and ductility - harder will give you a sharper and longer lasting edge but is more brittle and prone to break\shatter. Ductile will bend or flex but not hold an edge very well. As for StepSteel being faster\more glide, I have an idea how the structure of the steel could have an affect..... You've got my interest piqued. I'm really gonna have to get a set of these now just to compare!