Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeff

? about helmets and headshots...

Hi everyone,

I took a wicked headshot the other day in pickup. As I was leaning forward, stretched out to try to wrangle in a bad pass from someone, a defender on the other team somehow tripped up and ended up slamming his thigh and knee directly into the top of my cage and forehead area.

Miraculously, I did not get a concussion. Just a decent cut on my shnozz from the cage slamming into my face and some whiplash.

I have a question:

I plan on replacing my helmet immediately. Common sense tells me that after a huge collision, it might not be as protective as it once was.

My helmet is/was a Bauer 8000. I cannot seem to locate this helmet locally, so I might have to change it up. I have a bit of an egghead and my dome is shaped a bit like an oval, I am not sure what helmet would fit similarly. I tried a 9500 on and the fit was completely unacceptable. Any suggestions? (I know I need to try them on, but I am just trying to minimize the time spent driving around L.A. to places that are my best shot.) Some places only have Eastons and 9500s, others have CCMs, etc.

Thanks!

-Jeff

Are there any 8500s locally? That's pretty much the same helmet.

Also, I would just give your foam a good once over. These helmets are designed to take multiple impacts, so you may not need to drop money on a new one. It is ultimately your choice however.

Also, I would just give your foam a good once over. These helmets are designed to take multiple impacts, so you may not need to drop money on a new one. It is ultimately your choice however.

I agree with that. Helmets are designed to take multiple impacts. If all you play is pick up hockey, that chances of concussions or brain injuries is quite low. Contact hockey is another story.

The 8500 is in the 2010 Bauer catalogue so I dont know what jrhky36 is talking about. You say your head is oval? then the 8500 is probably too wide for your head anyway, you should try the 4500. Its not as protective but its narrower. And confirming what others said already, hockey helmets are made for multiple hits, as opposed to bicycle helmets for example.

The 8500 is in the 2010 Bauer catalogue so I dont know what jrhky36 is talking about. You say your head is oval? then the 8500 is probably too wide for your head anyway, you should try the 4500. Its not as protective but its narrower. And confirming what others said already, hockey helmets are made for multiple hits, as opposed to bicycle helmets for example.

the 8500 is canada only. not in the us.

I agree with that. Helmets are designed to take multiple impacts. If all you play is pick up hockey, that chances of concussions or brain injuries is quite low. Contact hockey is another story.

If you take a major shot to the head you should replace your helmet immediately. At the very least it should be inspected for damage, including removal of all padding. Especially if it is an EPP helmet as it is in this case. Once that foam is sufficiently stressed, it becomes much less effective. The material does not spring back like softer foams.

What was it about the 9500 that was unacceptable?

It felt too round, as if I needed a head shaped like Charlie Brown to fit in it.

I went to a shop tonight and tried on the 9500 again, did not like it at all. I did try on an Easton S17 that felt fairly good. although it was not the color I was looking for... A friend who works there let me try on his CCM with the older foam, not EPP, but fit great. (Didn't get the model # though it looks like the Vector V08...)

Chadd, thanks for the info. I was planning on replacing it anyways. I have no problem spending $1xx if there is any chance my current helmet is less protective from the impact.

I think I am going to try to just find another 8000. It fits perfect and I know it can withstand pretty violent impacts.

Don't forget two very important things:

1. Mouthguards, they help dampen the impact of your jawbone to your skull, lessening the shock if you get impact from the front or from landing on your head

2. A helmet that fits, if it's too big or you wear the chin strap too loose, the helmet won't stay on your head properly. Many of the hits that have injuries come from the helmet moving or coming off the head. Getting a helmet with an occipial lock with greatly help keep the helmet in the proper position

It's all precausionary things, as a hit directly to the face will nullify the protection of the helmet (but it will help when you fall and bang your head on the ice)

+1 for the M11. Very comfortable and specifically designed to recover quickly for multiple impacts. Check out the link posted above and get to your LHS to try one on. In fact, try on two; a medium fit me better than a large even though I take a large in a 9500. The helmet also comes down a bit lower, so you may have taken less of a beating with the particular impact experienced. Sorry to hear you took such a shot; glad you're ok.