Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shawn o

Lost a tooth tonight...pics

chippedtooth.jpg

chipped mine during pick-up 3bar hockey. some guys go too hard. i had it bonded but it broke last week on a french fry. dentist says its gonna be about 2k for a root canal but i think ima just keep it for now, i think it adds character

chippedtooth.jpg

chipped mine during pick-up 3bar hockey. some guys go too hard. i had it bonded but it broke last week on a french fry. dentist says its gonna be about 2k for a root canal but i think ima just keep it for now, i think it adds character

Oh man thats rough. What happened was it a high stick or a puck? Anyways yea some people deffinatly go to hard, hopefully everything works out for you

WALEED - the picture you just posted, I had the same exact tooth chipped in the exact same angle. Just about a month ago now.

It only cost me $70 for the dentist to give me a composite, that is with me being lucky enough to be on my parents dental insurance.

Even after having my tooth been chipped I am still too stubburn for a cage. Maybe I just didn't get slammed hard enough with a dental bill?

But I will say that I am researching now into legit mouth gaurds like the Smartgaurd. I think they'll be worth it as long as I can still communicate. That is my number one pet peeve of mouth gaurds, that players cant understand your words when your trying to communicate on the ice.

Oh man thats rough. What happened was it a high stick or a puck? Anyways yea some people deffinatly go to hard, hopefully everything works out for you

i appreciate it. and it was a high stick off of an "intense" back-check. he went to lift my stick and completely whiffed and his shaft, not the blade, came across my face.

WALEED - the picture you just posted, I had the same exact tooth chipped in the exact same angle. Just about a month ago now.

It only cost me $70 for the dentist to give me a composite, that is with me being lucky enough to be on my parents dental insurance.

Even after having my tooth been chipped I am still too stubburn for a cage. Maybe I just didn't get slammed hard enough with a dental bill?

But I will say that I am researching now into legit mouth gaurds like the Smartgaurd. I think they'll be worth it as long as I can still communicate. That is my number one pet peeve of mouth gaurds, that players cant understand your words when your trying to communicate on the ice.

Could you see your root? Mine doesn't hurt or anything but supposedly my root is exposed so it needs a root canal,post,etc. i don't know if the dentist just wants my $ because i don't think its too bad. why put a crown over it when most of the tooth is still basically there.

i appreciate it. and it was a high stick off of an "intense" back-check. he went to lift my stick and completely whiffed and his shaft, not the blade, came across my face.

Could you see your root? Mine doesn't hurt or anything but supposedly my root is exposed so it needs a root canal,post,etc. i don't know if the dentist just wants my $ because i don't think its too bad. why put a crown over it when most of the tooth is still basically there.

Not to be alarmist and just to give you some info, pain is NOT always an indicator and treatment is all about minimising risk of something worse developing at the bottom of the root of the tooth where it sits in your upper jaw - we call it the root "apex". See once the nerve is exposed it has basically been infected by nasty bacteria in your mouth. This can result in nothing at all for years, but also over time runs the very high risk of complications like an abscess or cyst forming at the root apex causing severe infection that can eat away your upper jawbone and eventually cause pain, or even the root itself being eaten away by the body and the tooth falling out (called internal root resorption).

To minimse the risk of these ocurring where the nerve has been exposed, your dentist will suggest the following steps:

1. Root canal treatment - To clean out and eliminate the bacteria and fill the root to prevent risk of bacterial infection and the above occurring

2. A crown to seal off the root canal treatment which improves its chances of success and its longevity

3. If there is insufficient tooth structure to hold the crown on, a post maybe required to build up the tooth in order the hold the crown in place.

The most important step is Root canal treatment, that should stabilise the tooth and minimise risk of the above happening. Crown can be done down the track but it is recommended within 12 months after root canal treatment. Unless of course you like that "hard" look of a gappy - toothy grin.