Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vnderachiever

Changing Chassis on a pair of skates

My question:

does changing the chassis on a pair of skates affect the integrity of the outsole?

I'm asking because I snagged a pair of Boss Black's last thursday from a LHS. Didnt realize til I got home that the right chassis was cracked by the last wheel. I hadn't skated on em, only stood on them for 30 seconds or so.

Called the LHS that night, he said to bring em back in. Went in Friday and he tells me he's gotta call his mission rep to see if he can get a replacement chassis, or he has a pair of the black magnesium vanguard chassis to drop on there (I told him i could care less about the color). He also said if we were lucky the Rep would replace the skates with something current, seeing as it looks like a manufacturing defect.

I'm just concerned because I bought a pair of brand new skates and i'm already having the chassis replaced without skating on them. Would that make the outsole prone to wearing out quicker?

If you're replacing a Vanguard with another Vanguard I would imagine the mount holes would line up.. Just speculation as I don't know for sure.

The new frame and remount will be fine, the outsole will be fine as well....I have had many frames mounted on about everything and they all worked fine...HOWEVER this also depends on how good the person that is mounting them is....ALSO I would wait and see if you couldnt squeeze out a brand new pair of skates...

The new frame and remount will be fine, the outsole will be fine as well....I have had many frames mounted on about everything and they all worked fine...HOWEVER this also depends on how good the person that is mounting them is....ALSO I would wait and see if you couldnt squeeze out a brand new pair of skates...

That's what i'm thinking. Only thing that bugs me is I paid for a new pair of skates, and in essence i'm getting a repaired pair of skates if he ends up fixing 'em. Plus they're the last pair of Boss Blacks in my size that he/any retailer around had.

But if they put a new holder on in replacement of the broken one how is that any different from getting a new pair? If it's a used holder/chassis I understand your frustration but if it's a new one, and the same as what's on there then I don't see where the problem is.

But if they put a new holder on in replacement of the broken one how is that any different from getting a new pair? If it's a used holder/chassis I understand your frustration but if it's a new one, and the same as what's on there then I don't see where the problem is.

+1 if its a new frame, then its still a new skate, not a big deal at all and actully it would be like a special edition with black frames instead of white....

idk, guess the way i look at it is i'm buying a "repaired" set of skates at the new price.

Anyway, he said he'd call me today, but didn't. I gave him a ring before he closed and he said he was too busy to do the swap today, he'd *try* to do em tomorrow. Guess i wont have time to break em in before my game wednesday, and i've got a tournament on saturday so hopefully i can get another bake in before then and ~2 hours of skating in on friday.

idk, guess the way i look at it is i'm buying a "repaired" set of skates at the new price.

That is exactly what happened. Did you at least get them at a clearance price? It is a manufacturers defect and the skates should be replaced, although I'm not sure if you want to do that before your tourney.

That is exactly what happened. Did you at least get them at a clearance price? It is a manufacturers defect and the skates should be replaced, although I'm not sure if you want to do that before your tourney.

well the problem in the first place is that they're last year's model and the last pair in the general area in my size, so if they were replaced, they'd have to be replaced by a new skate.

It looks like either a MFR defect, or someone at the LHS screwed it up. It looks like the skate was dropped, the hole for the back wheel on one skate was cracked so the axel could almost slide right out. Paint was chipped and whatnot. Like I said, i've already baked 'em once and i think after a game wednesday, antoher bake thursday, and 2 hours of rink time on friday they should be broken in pretty well.

Here's to hoping he can throw me a discount on something for having to wait, maybe a stick or even a few rolls of tape free lol... already missed 2 games because I needed the replacement in a pinch, and couldnt get this worked around