Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

<TJ>

Going from Supreme 10 to RBK 5K skates

I've been skating in NBH Supreme 10s since last November when I finally took up hockey. Last week I purchased a pair of 5Ks, mainly because the Bauers weren't the right size and fit for me and the opportunity presented itself.

My main problem right now is with ankle flex. I used to be able to bend and get really low with the Bauers and I just cannot get to that same position with the 5K when they are laced properly. I know that the boot is supposed to be stiffer but... will these change and no longer be an impediment after I really break them in?? Or do I have to get used to being more upright when I skate??

So what you are saying is with the Supreme's you were able to flex your ankle in, and had maneuverability within the boot to flex your skate either severely out or severely in? And you are upset that you cannot do this with your 5Ks?

Its not an impediment by having stiff skates. Infact, this is what keeps you safe. I bet your bauer's hurt after a while of skating, correct? You don't want to have that maneuverability that you miss. This is how I see kids break their legs. Really cheap skates (like your Supreme 10s) are good for nothing more than recreational skating, not hockey, no matter what level of play (even beginner). I know they say they are for hockey... there not.

its not good for your technique or your health to skate like the way I believe your describing. You want your boot to be stiff, not flexible and so flexible that you can bend it in or out based on what you want to do. This just shouldn't be happening. Its okay if you can do it a little, like what you should be able to do in the 5ks, but nothing compared to what you were doing in your supreme10s. It wont get much better (less stiff) than it is now, even after a breakin/bake.

I've been skating in NBH Supreme 10s since last November when I finally took up hockey. Last week I purchased a pair of 5Ks, mainly because the Bauers weren't the right size and fit for me and the opportunity presented itself.

My main problem right now is with ankle flex. I used to be able to bend and get really low with the Bauers and I just cannot get to that same position with the 5K when they are laced properly. I know that the boot is supposed to be stiffer but... will these change and no longer be an impediment after I really break them in?? Or do I have to get used to being more upright when I skate??

You might consider skipping the top eyelets.

Thanks for the replies!!

raganblink: You most surely know tons more than me about skating technique (I've had no skating lessons whatsoever). Aren't you supposed to flex your ankle to bend your knees forward? I was under the impression that that's what gave you momentum.

mgoblue: I did try that, but my ankle gets way too loose then.

What I seem to need is the tongue to give out just a little bit more.

I think that either raganblink or I misunderstood.

If it's the tongue of your skate that's impeding the way you're inclined to skate, there's nothing wrong. If I understand raganblink, he thought you meant that you could flex your ankle laterally within the boot (this would be problematic, and is the type of movement you'll see with lower-model, less stiff skates).

If you just want to get a nice knee bend and a lack of ankle bend is keeping you from doing so, then yes, the tongue or lacing is almost certainly to blame. The tongue will break in a bit, and it'll make things easier. You could also experiment with different lace tightness around the top-half eyelets.

i recommend against undoing the top lace, thats where alot of the ankle support comes from.

experiment with different lacing techniques. tight in the forefoot, looser where the boot bends upwards, and tightish in top 1 or 2 eyelets.

after your skates are well broken in you can try skipping the 4th-ish eyelet and that'll also increase your forward flex. but i recommend this after breaking in your skates or they won't break in properly.

me personally came from mission ag's which had sick forward flex to bauer supremes. right now i'm mostly working with lacing technique to get the right forward flex.

note, you want forward flex, but limited side to side ankle movement.

If I understand raganblink, he thought you meant that you could flex your ankle laterally within the boot (this would be problematic, and is the type of movement you'll see with lower-model, less stiff skates).

yeah that's what I was going with, I thought that was what you were talking about. If its not, then mgoblue has it dead on. - I just woke up, brain not working the best atm.

I think that either raganblink or I misunderstood.

If it's the tongue of your skate that's impeding the way you're inclined to skate, there's nothing wrong. If I understand raganblink, he thought you meant that you could flex your ankle laterally within the boot (this would be problematic, and is the type of movement you'll see with lower-model, less stiff skates).

If you just want to get a nice knee bend and a lack of ankle bend is keeping you from doing so, then yes, the tongue or lacing is almost certainly to blame. The tongue will break in a bit, and it'll make things easier. You could also experiment with different lace tightness around the top-half eyelets.

Yeah... I don't think I was clear enough originally. It is the forward flex/deep knee bend I was talking about. Lateral movement is something I hate actually, which is why I don't really want to loosen up the skate. Hopefully it won't take too long for that tongue to break in. I really only feel comfortable skating with my ass as close to the ice as possible. :D

I had the same problem when I got the 5k's which were an upgrade from my 10 years old skates that I used when I played high school hockey. Most of the newer skates are pretty stiff. Initially I was lacing them up really tight like I did with my old skates and felt too upright like you are. I now lace the bottom half really tight up to the lace locks and make the top a bit looser. Don't get me wrong, the top is still tight, but there is some wiggle room left, then I pump them up. This gives me pretty good forward flex, the pump gives me good lateral support, and I just like the feel of a really tight forefoot. A trick that I use to help me get the right tightness at the top of the skate is to have my ankle forward flexed a bit when lacing and tightening the top. Hope this helps!