Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mug25

Skate Profiling for heavier player

That would be correct not sure of the exact % but that sounds close to being right. Alays good even if just replicating the stock profile they are both exact.

I would suggest if you have sharpened them a few time you do get a Profile and get it Neutral and start with 11ft and a 5/8ths. (I know I said 13 before) this should make a minimal adjustment if your skates were sharpened well prior!

Thank you! That gives me a starting point. I considered going with a "slight forward" pitch (one step forward from neutral on Noicing's website) since I ALWAYS play forward, never ever defence, but if you'd recommend I go with neutral, that's fine too. I honestly don't care if I change how it feels, I'm not necessarily looking for it to feel like it currently does - I'm happy to try something new if it will be beneficial.

I'm considering ordering some blackedge from Noicing and having them profile and sharpen them. I'm not sure I trust the pro shop at my local rink to profile them correctly. What do you think?

I would just do your stock blades first. Either send them out and get them done or see if there is a set local to you that isnt that expensive. As mentioned don't go crazy just do the simple things a little more blade on the ice with a longer profile and a shallower hollow then on the skates at present.

One problem I see on our forum is many beginners read all the technical stuff and want to try everything as soon as possible, most of the technical stuff is not for beginners or even average skaters, you have to reach a point of skating where it’s second nature and you can’t get to another level any more, then you can start looking for that 1-3% increase in performance by tinkering with technical stuff.

No worries on that front with me, that's certainly not what's going on here. I'm just trying to achieve a baseline.

I would just do your stock blades first. Either send them out and get them done or see if there is a set local to you that isnt that expensive. As mentioned don't go crazy just do the simple things a little more blade on the ice with a longer profile and a shallower hollow then on the skates at present.

I can't send out my current blades because I need them. So I was going to buy another set that I could use as an "experimentation" set. Try something, and if I hate it I can throw in the "stock" set until I can have the "experiment" set modified. I figured if I'm going to buy a new set of runners I might as well get Blackedge, just because I'm notorious for waiting far too long to have mine sharpened. Money is not an issue, here.

Now I know people will get upset about this but me personally I did not like the BE. I found them way to hard to profile and took way to long in doing so. I am much happier as the sharpener to use something I can manipulate much easier like (Step Steel). I am not saying there is anything wrong with BE just I do not want to spend more time than needed to profile. I spend more then most because I like them perfect and when I was doing the BE It just took way to long!

Now I know people will get upset about this but me personally I did not like the BE. I found them way to hard to profile and took way to long in doing so. I am much happier as the sharpener to use something I can manipulate much easier like (Step Steel). I am not saying there is anything wrong with BE just I do not want to spend more time than needed to profile. I spend more then most because I like them perfect and when I was doing the BE It just took way to long!

Fair enough, but to be honest as a consumer I don't really care much if it takes longer :P Charge more for a BE sharpen if its too much of a problem ;) I'd gladly pay extra if it means I get what I want!

That's not meant in any way to sound rude, I'm just saying that them taking longer to profile and sharpen is not a reason for me to not buy them, because its not me doing them. What's most important is whether *I* will like them.

I don't know, if I could get my skates profiled locally then I wouldn't bother, but since i cant and I'm going to order another set of runners anyway, I might as well.

I'm certainly still grateful for the suggestions!

I am a big dude as well and I love the Step Steel I got from NoIcing. The steel feels stronger, holds an edge longer, and from what I hear sharpens really well and easily. I would assume that the easier it is to sharpen the easier it will be for some kid at the pro shop to do right. All worth taking into consideration.

Also in regards to Old Trainer Guy telling you he recommends Step...the guy has some serious experience. If he says Step Steel I doubt it is only because it is easier to sharpen than Black Edge.

Hey not saying BE is bad at all and totally get your point and if NI is gonna do them then get them done. In the uS it would be a place I would recommend to get the job done right. I personally wont order them for my shop nor will I want to do any profiles on them.

but that is just me...

But thanks anyway skyscrape......LOL

If you want DLC, look into Step's version - profiles just the same.

I was never impressed with BE either, for the record.

Step's version better? I know nothing about step... I tried digging through threads to figure out all the various runner manufacturers but its just so much to wade through, especially for somebody who doesn't really understand what I'm reading. What is Step's "claim to fame"?

Nothing less - at a minimum - than a 12' radius combined with a starting point 12/16's hollow IMO.

I think I'd try 5/8 before jumping right to 3/4.

Step holds its edge and feels very stable under my 300+lb frame. :)

They hold my 370 frame as well. I'm very happy JR got me into Step Steel. It might be mental, but it has helped me a lot I think. Im looking into a 13ft radius as well as I like the 11 but I think I want a little bit more steel on the ice. I'm at a 90/75

200 is a pretty low-end skate.

It's definitely low end. But it fits and is (mostly - see other topic) comfortable. I could look at a higher end Nexus, but wouldn't those boots be stiffer?