Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chad Seibel

Product Innovation

Just wondering where you guys see some holes in product innovation. Do you have any ideas for innovative glove ideas, or bag ideas?

Wood sticks use to be the deal and then aluminum and now OPS. Backpack bags were a new thing for a while. Do any of you hockey geniuses have ideas on where products can be improved? Elbows, shins, pants.....etc.?

To be honest, I was considering creating a thread about how much further innovation in the industry can go. What else can we really do to equipment? We already have sticks that are super light, skates that can almost perfectly mold to your feet, and super light helmets. I dont know what else there is.

Roller pants with replaceable knee sections. Perhaps zippers or velcro.

I personally buy cheap pants ($50 is the highest I have spent) because I can't stand holes. Instead of buying one pair of ~$100 pants, I buy 3 pairs of $30 pants. Usually one for every roller season I play (3-4 seasons in a calendar year).

The rest of my pants are usually a-ok, but if the knees could be replaced with new ones, I would never have to buy a complete pair of pants again!

How about a stick that is light like a composite but lasts like an ABS? The surface i play on is smooth concrete so i have to sacrifice performance for durability. Just a thought though.

A comfortable, inner ankle padding in the liners of the high end skates that does not break down after frequent usage.

I think they're really pushing it as is for now. I think any further innovation will come in the form of materials and further uses of them in hockey equipment: CNT and nanotube technology as Easton was doing, etc. That's where we're seeing the increases in strength and decreases in weight simultaneously and I believe manufacturers will continue to push it. However, unless other forms of construction come out, it seems that they're already pushing the envelope. There will come a time when sticks can't be made much lighter without really messing with durability. Some companies are already at that point.

I see things moving towards a more electronic advances

Such as a GPS tracker built into skates to monitor distance travelled, accelerometers to measure acceleration, turning force, strides etc. This would have applications for training and matches, letting coaches and fans know who worked hardest.

This data and others such as heart rate could be fed into a HUD in a visor, letting the player know how their body is performing.

This is likely to be years off, however the tech is already there.

More basic things could even be earpieces where players and coaches can communicate much easier, without broadcasting to the oppostion too.

If you look at F1, all the data they record helps with knowing when to change tyres, when to refuel etc a similar approach to hockey could be only a few years away??

I think an area to be considered has to be aesthetics. How much can we expect the look of a product to change from where it is now? I mean, look at a classic, 1970's cowhide glove then compare it to something like an X:60 glove, its amazing to think we have come that far.

I'm not sure how many pants have this, but my Mission pants have built in Velcro straps. I LOVE that. I don't ever have to tape my pants around the shinguard ever. I think more pants should be like that.

There is also a material out called d30 that is both flexible and strong.

It is made up of fibres and a viscose solution and under normal conditions the material is flexible, however when hit or placed under a sudden strain then the previously weak bonds between materials suddenly strengthen and lock, making a rigid protective shield.

This material has already been tested by Olympic skiers as an alternative to bulky arm and shin guards, and it is only a matter of time before it is used to create readily available high-end hockey sportswear.

There is also a material out called d30 that is both flexible and strong.

It is made up of fibres and a viscose solution and under normal conditions the material is flexible, however when hit or placed under a sudden strain then the previously weak bonds between materials suddenly strengthen and lock, making a rigid protective shield.

This material has already been tested by Olympic skiers as an alternative to bulky arm and shin guards, and it is only a matter of time before it is used to create readily available high-end hockey sportswear.

A few things must be considered when talking about d3o. First, it does not eliminate, in my opinion, the need for a softer layer of padding close to the skin. Another is that the material could, theoretically, move into a position that may cause discomfort when it hardens (say perpendicular to the body). Further down the road, when the cost goes down, it may become a more viable solution.

A few things must be considered when talking about d3o. First, it does not eliminate, in my opinion, the need for a softer layer of padding close to the skin. Another is that the material could, theoretically, move into a position that may cause discomfort when it hardens (say perpendicular to the body). Further down the road, when the cost goes down, it may become a more viable solution.

Isn't this the exact reason why we innovate?

I'm not sure how many pants have this, but my Mission pants have built in Velcro straps. I LOVE that. I don't ever have to tape my pants around the shinguard ever. I think more pants should be like that.

+1

I bet someone starts making some strides in wheel technology and prices. The wheel advances over the past 5 years or so have been great, but they're getting so expensive. I can't see it being sustainable for the industry for prices to keep going up and up. Maybe I'm looking at the market wrong, but I think inline has more growth potential than ice, because it's relatively cheaper. However, once you start having to replace wheels pretty often, you start getting killed. But I guess if people are willing to keep paying the high prices, there's no reason to find ways to cut the cost at all.

Also, pucks. But there's another whole thread dedicated to making better pucks.

To be honest, I was considering creating a thread about how much further innovation in the industry can go. What else can we really do to equipment? We already have sticks that are super light, skates that can almost perfectly mold to your feet, and super light helmets. I dont know what else there is.

Do you remember the alleged director of the patent office saying this......."Everything that can be invented has been invented."

Charles H. Duell

Director of U.S. Patent Office, 1899

I for one do not think he said it, but there will most certainly be innovations brought to hockey in the future. I like a lot of the ideas that are already put forth here and I think that there can be even greater strides made in glove technology to be honest. As a player, I wonder why we put up with the gloves that we have. I think there can be a protective glove that is a lot more pliable and better to control the stick with than we currently have. Gloves have come a long way, but I think there will be strides made here in the next couple of years.

but can you create a glove that everyone will love how it fits and functions? The one thought I have everytime I read one of these innovation threads is that innovative products and complete duds are a matter of perspective. If there's a brand new, high tech, super product that comes out but people don't like the fit/feel/functionality of it, was the innovation a relevant innovation? Players are funny with how gloves fit, how grippy or slick the palm is, how much volume the glove has, etc. so while you may want the second skin type of fit, there are other that want the big floppy fit, and plenty of players in between the two.

I suppose ultimately the question is where are the holes in the existing market? A lot of "innovative" products are really just evolutionary steps and not some left field, never been seen innovation. Don't discount the evolution of a product though as it is a very necessary and perhaps more important than pure innovation process. Sort of like the old BASF commercials, "we don't make XXXXXX, we make it better". One item I would LOVE to see is a composite blade with an ABS core, similar to how Montreal replacement blades are done, for multi-surface/outdoor use. Also a bladetape type product that is thinner and lighter, but durable and provides similar benefits.

i'd like improvement or innovation in keeping the player cooler. inline hockey in hot climates can be miserable, especially for someone like me that sweats way more than average. over the years there has been some focus on cooler gear, but not near enough in my opinion. i'd purchase new shin pads, pants, breezers, helmet and maybe even elbow pads if a company were to really focus on keeping the player cool without sacrificing too much on the level of protection (and i don't need as much protection out of my inline gear as my ice gear anyways). i think inline companies such as tour could sell a lot marketing the product as specific to inline hockey.

i'd like improvement or innovation in keeping the player cooler. inline hockey in hot climates can be miserable, especially for someone like me that sweats way more than average. over the years there has been some focus on cooler gear, but not near enough in my opinion. i'd purchase new shin pads, pants, breezers, helmet and maybe even elbow pads if a company were to really focus on keeping the player cool without sacrificing too much on the level of protection (and i don't need as much protection out of my inline gear as my ice gear anyways). i think inline companies such as tour could sell a lot marketing the product as specific to inline hockey.

This would be awesome, it gets so freaking hot at my rink

I have some cool pant ideas that I never got a chance to do....Maybe I should make my own line of pants....

Items that I think need the most help:

Elbow pads

Goalie Leg pads

Goalie Chest protectors

Goalie blockers (the glove section)

Skate blades sharpening. I know this is ice, but still needs to be addressed

Tape sticking to blades better, or something specifically for roller (something like the old stick on piece that Franklin did, but more durable)

Everything can always be improved.

I think by now, there should be a change in hockey tape. Maybe weave it with some low weight composite, so when it takes a hack, it doesnt split. Keep the cloth on the outside though, so you get the same feel, just beef it up a bit. I hate having to retape every game cause my blade got dinged, and messed my tape job.

I know Mission did it already, but why have we not seen more composite shell helmets?

Was that the Mission Carbster? I thought that was the future?

I have some cool pant ideas that I never got a chance to do....Maybe I should make my own line of pants....

Items that I think need the most help:

Elbow pads

Goalie Leg pads

Goalie Chest protectors

Goalie blockers (the glove section)

Tape sticking to blades better, or something specifically for roller (something like the old stick on piece that Franklin did, but more durable)

Everything can always be improved.

Good to hear from you Hoff. You always had a great product line. Maybe you should do your own line of pants for the market.

no kidding. i'd pay three times as much to have my skates sharpened properly every time. idiot proof skate sharpening machines would be awesome.