Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MTG35

New Lace Bite Questions

I seem to have developed lace bite on one ankle. Just the left. I laced up one night with the same skates I have been using for months and stepped on the ice and it hurt. Went to the bench and tried tieing the skate again and it still hurt. So I skated the game in pain. Next skate it hurt even more.

Now it hurts every time I skate. Just the left. The base of my ankle also has a nice lump on it the day after a skate.

So I'm confused. Been using these skates a few times a week since April and never an issue. So I have reviewed all the discussions on how to fix it and they all address the skates and lacing etc. But what I was wondering is what do people do to treat the area on their body. Since I never had this before I can't believe that I will now all of a sudden always have it and need pads etc. I have been icing the area on a daily basis and that relieves the swelling. Then after a few days I can skate with only a little discomfort. But the day after the skate it is back to swollen again and I have to start the ice all over again.

Has anyone with lace bite ever taken a week or two off, treated the area with ice heat etc, and then gone back to skating and not have it come back?

Any ideas?

Without fixing the cause of the problem, it will continue. Chances are the tongue finally wore down in the spot where you got lace bite.

Without fixing the cause of the problem, it will continue. Chances are the tongue finally wore down in the spot where you got lace bite.

I hope it is not the skates. They are Total One's that I bought new on April 17th this year of course. I skate 2 to 3 times a week. I had been using the x-stiff inserts and I take them out between each skate. I went to my local shop and bought a brand new pair of x-stiff inserts in case they had become worn down. So now I am using a brand new pair of inserts.

Could it still be a tongue issue? Have you heard anyone else with issues this soon with the Total One tongue?

Around the same time this came up I had bought a new pair of Easton jock shorts and the velcro where the socks attach seem to be lower then my old pair(I use RBK Edge socks so the position of the velcro ends up making a difference). Now it seems that my shin pads sit lower. I am going to go back to my old jock to see if the shin pads are pushing on that area and causing the issue. But I won't know that till Sunday as I am taking this week off to see if I can get it to heal better.

I've always had lace bite until I got a deeper boots, skates are still new and hasn't broken down but I will add leather and hasn't completely gone away but doesn't hurt nearly as much - I have taken some time off and it always comes back - the only way I completely got rid of it is with a piece of skate leather reinforcing my skate tongue. Had a repair shop sew skate leather on the tongue - after a couple of skates - -felt great and stiffened the feel of the boot and my stride felt better from it - I used to use koozies in my boot, tape my ankles before games, only thing that work was the extra leather only on the top lace eyelets where I pull the hardest.

I hope it is not the skates. They are Total One's that I bought new on April 17th this year of course. I skate 2 to 3 times a week. I had been using the x-stiff inserts and I take them out between each skate. I went to my local shop and bought a brand new pair of x-stiff inserts in case they had become worn down. So now I am using a brand new pair of inserts.

Could it still be a tongue issue? Have you heard anyone else with issues this soon with the Total One tongue?

Around the same time this came up I had bought a new pair of Easton jock shorts and the velcro where the socks attach seem to be lower then my old pair(I use RBK Edge socks so the position of the velcro ends up making a difference). Now it seems that my shin pads sit lower. I am going to go back to my old jock to see if the shin pads are pushing on that area and causing the issue. But I won't know that till Sunday as I am taking this week off to see if I can get it to heal better.

There is only one cause of lace bite, pressure on your ankle. If you use a stiff skate and don't have enough depth at the ankle, eventually you will get lace bite no matter how thick the tongue is. You can get something like a bunga pad or one of the other home remedies mentioned in some of the other topics, you can replace the tongue (but will eventually be back in the same situation) or you can replace the skate. In any case, it's not going to go away by itself and it will only get worse over time if you don't do something about it.

As for the shin pads, I can't see any way they could cause the problem. There just isn't enough pressure on them to cause lace bite.

I've always had lace bite until I got a deeper boots, skates are still new and hasn't broken down but I will add leather and hasn't completely gone away but doesn't hurt nearly as much - I have taken some time off and it always comes back - the only way I completely got rid of it is with a piece of skate leather reinforcing my skate tongue. Had a repair shop sew skate leather on the tongue - after a couple of skates - -felt great and stiffened the feel of the boot and my stride felt better from it - I used to use koozies in my boot, tape my ankles before games, only thing that work was the extra leather only on the top lace eyelets where I pull the hardest.

What do you mean by deeper boots? In what sense do you mean the depth of the boot?

What do you mean by deeper boots? In what sense do you mean the depth of the boot?

Finally have a pair of Graf ultra G70's boot - basically has a little more leather on the uppers and my skate tighten lace width is not as big or wide as before with the Graf 705's - yes just a deeper boot in depth and has little more coverage and making the top of my foot/ankle not so much exposed.

Is it possible that it is not lace bite? I was using Supreme One75's for about 2 years and never had a single issue. Went to the Total One's and have been using them since April and it is just the past 2 weeks that the issue came up.

If it is lace bite and it is due to the skates then if I go back to my One75's it should go away, right? Seems logical since I used them for 2 years with no issue.

How long do I need to let the area heal before trying my old skates to know for sure that it is the skates? Because I had skated on a Tuesday and it hurt then I skated on Friday with with my old skates and it hurt even worse.

Is it possible that it is not lace bite? I was using Supreme One75's for about 2 years and never had a single issue. Went to the Total One's and have been using them since April and it is just the past 2 weeks that the issue came up.

Possible, but not likely given what you have said so far.

If it is lace bite and it is due to the skates then if I go back to my One75's it should go away, right? Seems logical since I used them for 2 years with no issue.

You may have to wait for the inflammation to go down before the old skates will work. Assuming there is enough depth in the ankle of the 75s, those should be fine once the inflammation has gone down.

How long do I need to let the area heal before trying my old skates to know for sure that it is the skates? Because I had skated on a Tuesday and it hurt then I skated on Friday with with my old skates and it hurt even worse.

It may take a couple weeks, or as long as a couple months, every case is a little different. Trying to play through it will just make it worse and the recovery will take longer.

Possible, but not likely given what you have said so far.

You may have to wait for the inflammation to go down before the old skates will work. Assuming there is enough depth in the ankle of the 75s, those should be fine once the inflammation has gone down.

It may take a couple weeks, or as long as a couple months, every case is a little different. Trying to play through it will just make it worse and the recovery will take longer.

Thank you for all the info. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, especially the part about weeks or months, but it is what it is. :sad:

I guess I was hoping against logic that I would somehow be able to just make it disappear.

I had a bad case of this a few weeks ago. I use Reebok 5k skates, which have usually been pretty comfy the last year or so I've used them. But I think I was a bit zealous in tightening my laces one night and I just developed a tender spot on my left front ankle. I tried lacing them the opposite way and not lacing the last loop. This actually gives me more mobility, too, and the pain went away.

So I wanted to update this since my lace bite is gone. I was able to skate last night without pain and with no swelling in the area today.

I was able to get rid of it while still skating 2 or 3 times a week and sometimes more. What I ended up doing was designing my own lace bite pad that I put in the skate. The pad made it comfortable to skate and because of the design caused no additional irritation to the area. I tried many options before the "solution" hit me. The other solutions out there made skating less uncomfortable but still cause some level of irritation to the injured area.

So after playing around with some ideas I hit on one that worked for me.

I guess the mod's here must own stock in Bunga pads or something becuase when I posted about the fact that I designed my own lace bite pad they seem to have just deleted the post with no reason why.

I thought this was a place to help out fellow hockey players? I offered to share my findings with people who have the same issue as I did. I would be sharing this FOR FREE. But this site must not like free solutions and they just want you to buy stuff.

Oh well. I guess all those who continue to suffer with lace bite will just have to do that CONTINUE SUFFERING thanks to MODSQUADHOCKEY.

If you can't tell I'm a little pissed.

I've had this problem develop with the Total One's as well. I found the cause to be the tongue and solved it just be changing from the extra stiff to the stiff after giving the affected area a little time to heal up. Hadn't had the problem since, knock on wood.

I guess the mod's here must own stock in Bunga pads or something becuase when I posted about the fact that I designed my own lace bite pad they seem to have just deleted the post with no reason why.

I thought this was a place to help out fellow hockey players? I offered to share my findings with people who have the same issue as I did. I would be sharing this FOR FREE. But this site must not like free solutions and they just want you to buy stuff.

Oh well. I guess all those who continue to suffer with lace bite will just have to do that CONTINUE SUFFERING thanks to MODSQUADHOCKEY.

If you can't tell I'm a little pissed.

Here's the reason why -

Tons of people post DIY repairs/modifications to equipment, hell, there's even a thread on it.

Why you're asking members to privately message you is why your post was deleted.

Here's the reason why -

Tons of people post DIY repairs/modifications to equipment, hell, there's even a thread on it.

Why you're asking members to privately message you is why your post was deleted.

I was doing that to help people that actually need help and so that someone can't take an idea that is not theirs and try to market it when they didn't come up with it. It not that my idea is all that revolutionary but I haven't seen it anywhere. I don't have the experience or circumstances to market myself but I also don't want to see people feel like that might have to give up the game they love if there happens to be something that would help them.

Okay, so I'm going to try real hard not to seem like an ass but...

You start up a thread looking for advice. People reply in your thread, you take the info given, and you tinker around and come up with something, which is cool. So now, you don't want to share the solution (which is really what this website is all about, people helping out each other) publicly because you're afraid that someone is going to take your idea and mass-market it.

Who's to say that the person you give the info to privately doesn't do the same thing?

Okay, so I'm going to try real hard not to seem like an ass but...

You start up a thread looking for advice. People reply in your thread, you take the info given, and you tinker around and come up with something, which is cool. So now, you don't want to share the solution (which is really what this website is all about, people helping out each other) publicly because you're afraid that someone is going to take your idea and mass-market it.

Who's to say that the person you give the info to privately doesn't do the same thing?

Yes that could definately happen. I had already thought of that myself. However, at the least I would have known that the people I gave the information out to were members here and not just a public lurker. If a member asked for the info and then marketed it then so be it...oh well. But there are lots of lurkers even manufactures that lurk. I guess I was looking to have the idea get into the "right hands", if you will, even though that is not completely possible.

I didn't want to short change people that could use the help but also wanted to have a little control over how that information got out.

Perhaps I am making too big a deal out of it. I am reasonable and willing to consider that. However it does take communication to get to that point.

Perhaps I am making too big a deal out of it. I am reasonable and willing to consider that. However it does take communication to get to that point.

Yes, you are making too big a deal out of it. I'm sorry but we simply don't have the time and resources to assuage the egos of every member when they do things contrary to our purpose. We've had numerous problems with people selling products via PM or requesting outside contact information via PM for their own purposes. That isn't acceptable for any number of reasons.

By the way, next time you have a problem, ask someone before you start bitching.

EDIT:

Member banned for personal insults, topic closed