Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mug25

Best Drills for Crossovers

Hey guys, this question is aimed at the more experienced players and coaches/instructors. Sadly, I didn't start playing Ice Hockey until a little more than a year ago so I didn't get the whole coaching thing.

Wondering what drills help improve crossovers — both forward and backward. All of the classes I've taken haven't REALLY gone deep into the crossover and the online videos I've seen have all been on-ice, crossover drills around the faceoff circles. There HAS to be more than that.

Crossovers are the weakest aspect of my skating so any help would be greatly appreciated.

well, those drills around the circles do help, but a key thing for me is to have your upper-body facing the center faceoff dot, while you do your crossovers around

well, those drills around the circles do help, but a key thing for me is to have your upper-body facing the center faceoff dot, while you do your crossovers around

Agreed, park yourself at one end of the ice and do figure 8's around the two faceoff circles. Works the same forward and backward.

I was playing about 6-8 months when I discovered edges. I keep practicing circles on inside and outside edges and in particular doing an extended crossover (holding the edge for as long as I can and holding the leg that crosses over up in position as much as I can, basically looking like a statue holding that edge). It helps me keep the strength and balance needed for cross overs and makes the cross over easy.

My next progression was learning that as the leg that crosses over comes down you can push with the leg that held the edge.

Practise gliding on your outside edges as long as you can. Get the feel of holding that outside edge. Then move on to this:

Thx guys. Is there anything I can do off ice?

to answer this specifically yes - agility ladder, ankle strength exercises, stability boards etc

On the ice - aside of deep knee bend & proper upper body positioning the edge work is important, so as you go through the static/gliding holds (as showin in the video) progress to hops inside-2-inside, outside-2-outside etc

one very important & often overlooked aspect of a forward crossover is crossing over with your outside leg leading with the toe in, so that you step on a deep inside edge. you can practice this off-ice doing alternating crossovers either in place or moving, and of course on the ice. if you focus on it you'd immediately see how much smaller you can make your turning radius!

Thx guys. Is there anything I can do off ice?

The figure eight drill has been mentioned above, but around faceoff circles.

Drop your gloves on ice, approximately 6' between them. Make crossover forward and backward.

When you go by maximum radius, try to do that by one movement, gliding on one foot. Outside edge of inside foot or inside edge of outside foot.

That will help you keep proper angle of your body.

to answer this specifically yes - agility ladder, ankle strength exercises, stability boards etc

On the ice - aside of deep knee bend & proper upper body positioning the edge work is important, so as you go through the static/gliding holds (as showin in the video) progress to hops inside-2-inside, outside-2-outside etc

one very important & often overlooked aspect of a forward crossover is crossing over with your outside leg leading with the toe in, so that you step on a deep inside edge. you can practice this off-ice doing alternating crossovers either in place or moving, and of course on the ice. if you focus on it you'd immediately see how much smaller you can make your turning radius!

Ankle stability is really key in helping you hold that edge. I had great success with a wobble board for developing that strength. I still do it every time I go to the gym.

Work on the forward crossovers before you attempt the backwards version which is really a crossUNDER. The strength and balance you develop from nailing the forward crossover is important in being successful at the backwards crossover. For that you can start with the same progression you did for forwards. That is, practise going backwards on your outside edges and see how big an arc you can make on just your outside edge. Being able to hold that outside edge gives you the ability to properly cross over or under with your non gliding foot in the proper position. Often you will see new skaters doing choppy short crossovers because they have to rush the process because of their instability on the gliding outside edge. Deep knee bend is also important.

Once you have established a fairly confident backwards glide on both outside edges you can try the backwards scissor skate which is just the scissor skate in reverse but way harder. This will improve your outside edge control further and train you to shift your weight and rotate your hips properly. The foot that is crossing over the glide foot should come over/under with your heel pointing in the direction you are turning (much like your toe points in that direction when going forward).

Love the basic idea that it all stems from simply stepping one foot over the next. This could be done on dryland with skate guards I guess. On ice, all the above all the drills mentioned above work great. I like the younger kids to focus on the crossunder idea. It makes conceptualizing the move more sensible. Also, keep feet low to the ice.

having to dodge slow people at open skates works wonders for my lateral crossovers, LOL, sorry, bad joke.

God I love that accent.

What she's doing in the beginning, the stationary crossover, is what I had to do for a week during my freshman year of HS practices because my clockwise crossovers SUCKED!(go a little faster once you get the hang of it) Coach set me up on the blue line and made me go straight sideways. In addition to crossing in front, cross behind. Crossing sideways (lateral), front and behind are absolutely brutal if you're not used to it, but it's a skill that you'll learn to love. I spent an hour a day, for a WEEK, doing crossovers on the blue-line at various speeds, fell about 20 times, but it was worth it

Edit: Tried an actual embedding code for the video, didn't know it was quite as simple as it is

On the backwards x-over I think of it mostly as planting the outside edge and pulling that leg under me. At least that's the feel I get when I'm trying to really accelerate.

What sucks is, I'm very strong on my right crossover (right over left) but the left crossover is beyond weak. Thats why I ask for anything I can do off-ice.

What sucks is, I'm very strong on my right crossover (right over left) but the left crossover is beyond weak. Thats why I ask for anything I can do off-ice.

Usually you spend more time skating counter clockwise, it's typical traffic for any skating place. Your skills strongly depend from that. Clockwise skating should take the same time or more for raising another side skating abilities.

You get used to it. Cross the left skate in front and behind from a stationary position, turn around and keep doing it again and again. It's a matter of agility, and muscle memory, you're not used to putting your left in front of your right. So keep doing it. When at an open skate on the straightaways, cross over (weave) instead of skating straight, so that your skating pattern forms an S shape instead of a straight line. Also try quickstarting. Stand still with your feet perpendicular to the direction you'll be going, Right foot fwd, left foot back, and laterally quickstart by crossing the left over the right.

Noone on this forum perfected crossing over on the off foot without falling flat on their face 10 times, so go at it with no fear, if ya break your nose because you caught a bad edge, or clipped your skate. you'll learn from yer mistake.

Wow, this is a great thread. I just started skating again after a 20 year lapse, and I couldn't do this stuff when I was 8, either (for that matter, I couldn't stop either). I have no problem going counter-clockwise, and can even do some somewhat unbalanced crossovers. However, I cant turn clockwise, let alone do crossovers. I just don't trust my balance on those edges. I'm thinking of doing some private lessons so I can have somebody really work with me on this.

Agreed, it's a great thread. I just need to go to stick & puck to have some ice to myself :D

Thats the biggest problem, theres just no time to practice this kind of thing. Cant do it during public skating sessions... too many kids skating in random directions.

Thats the biggest problem, theres just no time to practice this kind of thing. Cant do it during public skating sessions... too many kids skating in random directions.

Hence why I wanna move to a cold state where I can work on stuff at outdoor rinks in the winter :D

Hence why I wanna move to a cold state where I can work on stuff at outdoor rinks in the winter :D

Ha, yeah... planning on moving back to Toronto soon. Southern California is really not for me. Christmas lights on palm trees look retarded.

Years ago Buffalo Sabres did a video series for the minor hockey teams with narration by the assistant coach. It had many good agility based skating drills showcased. I'll post the video if I can find the link. One of he crossover drill is to do circular motions as quick as possible for 75% of the way from the starting point to around the face off circle (with and without the puck).

Years ago Buffalo Sabres did a video series for the minor hockey teams with narration by the assistant coach. It had many good agility based skating drills showcased. I'll post the video if I can find the link. One of he crossover drill is to do circular motions as quick as possible for 75% of the way from the starting point to around the face off circle (with and without the puck).

Nice, thanks! Like I said, my biggest issue is the lack of confidence in my outside edges. The stuff they're doing in the first video in this thread... yeah... not gonna happen.

We get stuck playing the late game (11pm) most Fridays, and you'd be surprised how many guys skate circles and working on stuff before heading to the locker room at 12:30 am. You gotta find time, I guess. It's there if you really want it.

We get stuck playing the late game (11pm) most Fridays, and you'd be surprised how many guys skate circles and working on stuff before heading to the locker room at 12:30 am. You gotta find time, I guess. It's there if you really want it.

LOL late game for us — the zamboni is waiting at the gate with 2:00 min left in the period. The moment the hand shake is done, that Zamboni hits the ice. Guess that has to match our 3 minute pre-game warmup.