Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cantor22

new helmet?

Last night during my game, i took a slap shot to the head. The shot gave me a minor concussion but it crakced my helmet(bauer 5000) do you guys think I need a new helmet or just let it ride?Thanks

Never mess around with the the head...I'd replace it. They (the officials) probably won't let you play with a broken Dome anyway.

Any time you take a major blow to the head, you should replace the helmet. The fact that it's cracked only makes it more obvious that you need to replace it.

I think I've read a couple other posts about Bauer 4000's cracking near the ear hole. I've got the screws hand tight snug, but not over tight and I've got a crack in mine...

Cracked Bucket

...any one else had this happen and is this the kind of crack that can lead to a safety concern...I really hope it isn't, because the helmet is only a year and a half old and I really rather not replace it.

Note: never taken a big hit, or caught a shot int eh head, no idea when the crack happened...noticed it when I was changing visors a couple weeks ago. I only play pick up, so it's not like a ref is gonna toss me off the ice for it.

Yep mine cracked in both ears, also about 3 of my friends broke theirs at the same place. We also had alot of trouble with the padding on the forehead, I had to tape mine and add hot glue, it still doesn't stick. I might get a Bauer 5000, 8000 or Itech.

I'm going with the Itech 95. I had to keep re-glueing the soft pads into my 5000. I'm just going to go with all soft foam.

on the topic of helmets, my 852 sits on my head so that the earloops are a bit above my actual ear, so the hole in the plastic cap is just below the top of my ear, but the rest of the helmet fits fine (except it's a bit narrow) is the helmet not deep enough for my head?

I had a Nike 0004 which I believe is the same thing as a Bauer 4000 that cracked in the back.

There is a strip on the middle of the back of the helmet that grooves inside and two plastic parts that hold the strip to the rest of the helmet on the sides (hard to explain, if you saw it you'd understand). Both of those plastic parts are completely cracked. Safe to say I don't use it anymore.

Yes, always replace a cracked helmet. Playing with a cracked helmet doesn't do any good for you. Might as well wear nothing on your head at all if you're going to put on a cracked helmet. I'm not suggesting it though.

In the 2 leagues I play in it's illegal to play with a cracked/damaged helmet. Heck, even stickers aren't allowed on them; if you have them they just kick you out.

Sometimes people that don't feel like buying new helmets will just cover the crack with a sticker, which is why stickers on helmets are banned in most places.

It's a good rule.

a kid on my hockey team taped his cracked helmet . I offered to buy him a new one cuz i am the one who cracked it with a slapshot but he looked at me funny and just taped it