Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dubbs

A/V Receiver

I'm looking to add a surround system in the basement of my house. I currently have two of my dad's old Harman/Kardon floor standing speakers and was thinking of just getting some additional speakers and a receiver to complete the set. I checked out CNET's reviews and rankings, but with all the various review's about companies it's hard to get a good gauge on what has good audio/video quality, well built, ease of use...etc. Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

I have been pleased with my onkyo receiver so far. Well built and easy to figure out. I got one that came with an ipod dock as well as a ton of inputs and outputs.

Onkyo has some good stuff IMO. I wish I had a good room to really hear the system but for now it's stuck in a fairly large room.

I'm copying what I wrote in the home theater thread, but I bought Sony's STRDG820 receiver last year. It's 7.1, which takes advantage of Blu-Rays that offer seven channels, while it also acts as a 4-way HDMI switch. I bought it for around $282 at ABT Electronics, which appears to have the the latest models, as Sony tends to upgrade yearly.

I have two Denon AVR's. Both have been flawless for us over the last 5+ years. They're rated very conservatively power-wise. The ones I have are pre HDMI-switching versions. If I ever replace them I'll certainly stay with Denon. Oh... they were both "B-stock" which means they were factory refurbs. IMO that's not a bad thing as they still had a warranty plus you know they were tested fully after repairs were done. Denon along with Klipsch speakers... can't go wrong there! :)

We bought the Onkyo HT-s6300 Home Theater in a Box. Sounds great, excellent options and auto EQ system, HDMI....the works!

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S6300-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003IT49LG

basically what I bought a few years ago. Can't wait to hear how mine sounds when it finally is moved from the room that is 24 by 32 lol

I have a Yamaha HTR-5550 I bought 8 years ago still going very strong. My parents have a newer version and a friend has the same receiver, nobody's had any problems with them. I run all the HDMI signals into the TV and run the optical output to the receiver.