Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HockeySavants

Concussion made me a lefty

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/concussion-leaves-14-year-basketball-player-amnesic-left/story?id=12982365

I read this story and was wondering the same thing myself.

In 2006 I suffered a concussion (semi hit my car on highway at high speed) and experienced a lot of symptoms that Marc Savard experiences today, so I can definitely feel for him and not sure when he will be able to play again.

I still have memory loss to this day, and often forget conversations I had with people a month ago. That angers me and can only hope my memory will improve.

But the thing I noticed was playing sports. At first I noticed I was shooting baskets with my left hand, and my first golf swing was with a left club. I did skateboard/snowboard goofy but I was ambidextrous in many everyday things prior to my accident.

I remember swinging a baseball bat when I was young and in college and could definitely not hit worth a dime, but played some beer league/adult league baseball in 2008 and to my surprise I batted near .800 collectively....left handed.

My uncle is a former Minor League Pitcher (Braves Org) who pitches lefty and found it hard to believe, he was among the few who actually ever saw me play and even he taught himself to shoot a hockey stick right, but he said I swung like someone who has batted lefty all their life.

Moving onto hockey, I have never been able to shoot left in my whole life, I couldn't even touch the puck. With my left knee injury I decided to give it a try and it was no surprise that I shot harder and far more accurate with a left stick.

I had doctors run tests and they showed results that my brain activity had both left and right handed tendencies but right handed origins.

They did say that given the 'right' situation has 'left' me where I am today, I don't think he knew he said it with a pun but that's life for ya.

Anyone else have input on this or experienced the same?

Given how little we know about the human brain I am not suprised to hear things like this at all. How long after your accident did you notice that everything had changed? Is any of your long term memory lost?

Given how little we know about the human brain I am not suprised to hear things like this at all. How long after your accident did you notice that everything had changed? Is any of your long term memory lost?

I found out around a year later when I caught myself batting left and hitting pitches even off left handers. I sometimes forget what I was about to say or as far as how many aunts and uncles I have. It gets better sometimes, I found out that watching movies from the time period it occurred has helped me remember a lot. Smells, sounds, tastes have helped too.

I may listen to a song from the 90s and all of the sudden an event that I had forgotten feels like yesterday. I would eat something I haven't had in a long time and memories come back. I am not giving up on that.

I just had to ask my wife what the word for "broth" was as I was making dinner, for something I've made for years.