Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DGrey

Icehockey stores in Toronto

Hi, guys!

I'm from Moscow, Russia. I play in amateur hockey league. In two weeks I'll have a business tirp to Toronto and I would like to buy some hockey equipment, especially protective (gridles, shoulders, shins, gloves, helmets, elbows) for me and my brother. In Russia we have rather poor range of hockey goods and in addition it costs too much.

So could you please advice best hockey stores in Toronto? It will be great if you also give me a hint where I can buy pro hockey equipment in Toronto or nearby.

Thanks a lot!

Igor

Take a look at this thread: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/58466-toronto-stores/page__view__findpost__p__887766

My post in that thread also links to a few previous discussions on hockey stores in Toronto. The topic has come up several times so you should be able to find most, if not all, of the information you need by reading through the older threads.

My in-laws are outside Toronto, so every year when we visit I like to hit up some shops. If you have a car and the time, get on the 401 eastbound and hit the National Sports in Whitby. It is about 30 to 45 minutes outside the city but you will be glad you made the trip if you are from out of town. From what I can tell in visiting about 10 different National Sports, they send all their clearance stock here as well as it being the largest of the stores I have been to. You can find some great deals on last years equipment and the skate staff have been really knowledgeable and willing to spend time with you in my experience. They have more gear than any other store I have visited in person. I picked up a USA Worlds Jr Jersey for 25 bucks last time I was there, but not sure if it was just because it was the USA!

I have hit up a few others but this particular store is always on my list.

I know the Pickering National Sports has a huge clearance section. I've never been to the Whitby location. You'd definitely need a car to get to either location.

Wow and sorry!

Sorry, for the posting in wrong subforum and not exploring the forum before posting this.

Wow for the replies and marketplace section in this forum!!! I'll check it right now!

So Just Hockey and Toronto Hockey Repair were chosen to be the first. We will stay on bloor street and it is close to THR. We are not going to rent a car so how much it will cost us to go to the Just Hockey and back by taxi? Why taxi? The reason is we have to buy hockey goods for 3 adults.

The other question is could you please advice me on prices in these stores comparing them say to hockeymonkey prices. Store's websites has no prices shown.

So below some of equipment we need and prices from hockeymonkey:

Gridles: Bauer Vapor X:60 - 110$, Bauer Supreme TotalOne - 93$, Warrior Projekt - 110$

Shoulders:Bauer Vapor X:60 - 130$, Bauer Supreme TotalOne - 130$, Bauer Pro Series - 107$,

Shins:Bauer Vapor X:60 - 110$

Skates: apx - 800$

Gloves: Warrior Franchise - 220$, Warrior Luxe - 180$, Bauer Supreme TotalOne - 150$, Easton Synergy EQ50 - 110$

I guess you don't know the exact prices for the stores, but may be you can say on a percentage of the above prices?

Is it possible to find any pro stock in Just Hockey and Toronto Hockey Repair?

And for Duke's - I've read many positive comments on Duke's store, But when I opened their website it seemed to me very strange. There are only modified goods presented. May be I didn't understand something with that. Duke's is very close to our hotel, so is it worth visiting or just hockey and thr is enough?

Sorry, guys, for so many questions, may be stupid and silly, but I try to get as much info as possible and plan our budget. Thank you for your help!

Last time I was at THR this past Fall, they did not have any prostock equipment. Great service and knowledge form the guys there though. however being a smaller shop, their selection is obviously not going to be as vast as JHSFS or others; definitely worth a visit however!

JHSFS is a great place with a huge selection and an excellent staff/store atmosphere. Last time I was there, they had a good selection of pro stock gloves iirc, particularly in Sabres and Leafs colors. However I don't know if they still have any left so definitely give them a call.

Dukes always has pro stock sticks, mostly Reeboks, CCMs and Warriors. Good shop as well and excellent sharpenings.

Duke's is definitely worth visiting. I'm not sure what your concerns are about 'modified goods' -- those are custom pieces ordered from the manufacturers, based on the experiences of pros, Duke's guys, and retail customers. Nothing different in principle than a standard SMU, except that Duke's tends to be a little more involved in the process.

As to prices, like any old-school, service-oriented retail stores, and Canadian shops in particular, they're going to be more than HM. Not dramatically more, but more, and the Canadian dollar's pretty strong at the moment.

Just Hockey has knowledgable staff and is a good store, however; a taxi there and back from your location will be very pricey. I live near the Don Mills Just Hockey location and a cab from downtown to this area is about $30 and that's starting from somewhere close to the highway. From Bloor West I think you'd be looking at $40 each way (probably more like $50 depending on the traffic and time of day) minimum in cab fees. Of course you could take the TTC there and cab it back.

I'd probably start with THR and Duke's first to see if you can find everything you need there. I've never been to Duke's since it's not in an area I'm usually in, but I've heard good things. I've also heard that they offer great prices so you may actually want to start with Duke's since it's not far from where you're staying.

In general you can expect prices will be about 15-20% higher in Canada vs. what you'll see on hockeymonkey unless it's something on sale or on clearance.

Thanks a lot!

Prices are excellent even if we add 20% to monkey prices and considering full range of equipment it will be a great shopping!

May be it wil be interesting for you to know Moscow prices in stores: all top gloves and shoulders cost not less than 250$, gridles - we have only x60 and it costs 200$, top shins and elbows not less tan 200$, top sticks - 300$ and more, apx skates cost the same, but they are produced in Tawan.

I'll post here my observations and feedback on stores visited and equipment purchased, may be it will be usefull update.

Our colleagues in Toronto booked for us tickets for Toronto - Islanders hockey match. It will be my first NHL live game! In other days we have some free evenings and would like to watch some NHL games in sport bar in correspondent atmosphere. In Russia it is widely spread. What sportbars in Toronto shoud we go to?

Pretty much any Source for Sports I find has really good deals on all sorts of equipment. They usually have pretty friendly and knowledgeable staff as well, it's usually a safe bet hitting up one of those stores. There's a Source for Sports in Ajax that already has the APX sticks on sale for $249, I've already picked up a couple myself :ph34r:

Real sports bar looks great!!! Thanks!

Guys, thank you very very very much for your help! Now I'm totally ready for the trip!