Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mockingduck

Advice on visor please?

I have never used visor before. I am in between the following:

- Oakley 2.0

- Bauer straight pro cut half shield visor

- Oakley pro straight visor

- Oakley Pro modified aviator

Any recommendation or anything else that i did not mention above.

What about those small visors? do they offer good protection?

any help is appreciated. Thank you

I use the Itech (now bauer) straight visor and I love it.

For me it offers more than enough protection of my face, and I have not had any problems with it fogging or anything. It holds up fairly well to normal wear and tear too, so I am still able to see through it clearly after about 4 seasons use.

PM me if you want any more info or pics of the visor on my helmet etc

Any visor isn't going to offer great protection. The smaller it gets, the smaller area covered, hence less protection.

Look at the hockeytron visors. For 14 dollars they're awesome.

Thanks guys for the advice. unfortunately the anti fog and anti scratch are temporarily out of stock. If I may ask, how is the durability compared to Hedjuk or bauer and oakley?

I also want to hear everyone's opinion on which one works for you guys (half shield visor/full visor/cage/visor cage combo). I wear glasses when I play. Once in a while I used contact lenses. Also Where I played is really hot and humid. any suggestion?

I am kind of thinking twice for gettng a visor since i mostly screen the goalie. I am considering wearing a cage. For cages, which one is better? (CCM FM480/ Bauer 4500/7500/9900/5100)? I know CCM is more flat compared to the bauer cage whcih has the true vision feature?

What is a cage hang?

Note: I should have changed the title to face protection advice. haha. anyway. any advice is appreciated.

Thanks guys

For roller I use a Bauer RBE I visor. I like more coverge than a "pro" model visor, plus I don't want to spend bucks on something that I'll probably replace every season anyway. They do fog, but I buff it with handsoap pregame and it prevents fogging. If you're going to wear a visor, I suggest also using a mouthguard.

For cages, I used to use a CCM FM480 in chrome or a Bauer RBE VII with i2.Can't go wrong with either of those. "Cage hang" is when you loosen up the straps so the cage doesn't sit flush with your chin, it flaps open as you move your head, like you see some college hockey players wear their cages.

For roller I use a Bauer RBE I visor. I like more coverge than a "pro" model visor, plus I don't want to spend bucks on something that I'll probably replace every season anyway. They do fog, but I buff it with handsoap pregame and it prevents fogging. If you're going to wear a visor, I suggest also using a mouthguard.

For cages, I used to use a CCM FM480 in chrome or a Bauer RBE VII with i2.Can't go wrong with either of those. "Cage hang" is when you loosen up the straps so the cage doesn't sit flush with your chin, it flaps open as you move your head, like you see some college hockey players wear their cages.

Thanks for the advice. How is the CCM FM480 compared to the bauer 9900/7500/5100/4500 and easton stealth S13? Is the CCM FM480 light in terms of weight?

If I have a large bauer 4500 helmet, would a large CCM FM480 fit me and the helmet?

I just found the cage that came with my helmet back then when I purchased it. It's an old 4500 cage with two bars going vertially on the middle of the cage. Should this be sufficient and give me enough visibility compared to the FM480 or all the new cages that dont have the two bars going down the middle of the cage?

I still cannot picture the idea of cage hang. Could you show me a picture of it? any benefits for cage hang or just merely for style?

Thanks

The 9900 cage has the best visibility, but I use the chrome 480. Still good visibility, and it fits my helmet better.

Cage hang is mostly for style, but is also so that the chin cup isn't against your chin. Watch videos on cage gang, as doing it too much can cause injury.

Thanks for the advice. How is the CCM FM480 compared to the bauer 9900/7500/5100/4500 and easton stealth S13? Is the CCM FM480 light in terms of weight?

If I have a large bauer 4500 helmet, would a large CCM FM480 fit me and the helmet?

I just found the cage that came with my helmet back then when I purchased it. It's an old 4500 cage with two bars going vertially on the middle of the cage. Should this be sufficient and give me enough visibility compared to the FM480 or all the new cages that dont have the two bars going down the middle of the cage?

I still cannot picture the idea of cage hang. Could you show me a picture of it? any benefits for cage hang or just merely for style?

Thanks

I only have experience with the FM480 and none of those Bauer or Easton cages. It's fairly light but not the lightest on the market. And a large FM 480 would definitely fit a 4500, in fact that is my exact setup back when I used the cage. I've never had vision issues with it, but since everyone's facial dimensions are different, I encourage you to visit your LHS and hold the cage up to your face to test it out for yourself.

For cage hang, simply adjust the side strap buckles on the cage so they are almost at the end of the straps, then buckle them to the rear of the helmet as normal. You will see you have a fairly significant amount of room between your chin and the chin cup. I used to wear my cage like this because I didn't like the feel of my chin sitting on the chincup all game. Plus, since the hockey I play nowadays is relatively non-contact, it wasn't an issue for me safety-wise.

Here's a pic of cage hang to the extreme:

mia_r_jones.jpg

I know people that play higher levels than I do that hang their cages a bit. You just need to position your j-clips accordingly and not hang too much.

Thanks Doctor Hook for the picture. Thanks guys for the pictures. It seems that everyone says the 4500 is good. Is there anyone using the 9900 or the easton cage? I am not sure if the 9900 is worth the money if FM 480 is as already as good as the baauer.

Not everyone hangs for style.

The 9900 is much lighter with noticeable visibilty gains. For me, I changed because it didn't fit well, and I'm happy with the CCM. The bauer 7500 is a decent compromise.

choosing between 9900 and 480 is pretty confusing. A lot of people say 9900 is better because of the oval shaped bar and rounder shape cage giving it better visibility and it is lighter. the downside to it is the price. Some people the flat shape cage of the 480 is not that good but overall still one of the best cage.

I used the 4500 cage which has a round shape. i never try the flat shaped cage.

Hands down. which one is better? (9900 vs 480)?

Thanks

I have both. I would say that its mostly preference and lighting of the rink. I wanted to try a chrome cage, and stuck with it. Some people like black or white cages. If you like the finish of the 4500, stay with the 9900.