Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BenderHockey

Switching Positions

Hey guys, I'm going to be converting from skating out as a Forward/Defenseman into a Goaltender. Any quick tips on equipment, positioning, stretches to do?

Looking for any and all help you guys guys have to offer. Thanks in advance!

i believe the person to best seek for such advice would be located in a mental therapy forum.

Heh...

There are a few threads in here already (somewhere) about the conversion to goaltending.

In terms of physical preparation, check out Maria Mountain's website and her videos on youtube: she has some sound and well-structured exercises and workout plans for goalies.

I would strongly suggest getting at least one lesson in basic movement from a friend (paid in beer) or local instructor (cash); reinforce those lessons with lots of repetition at open-ice sessions *without any shots* (just skating) for a good 15-20min at least each time, and watching a few videos. Steve McKichan's 'FuturePro' series is by far the best in terms of production value, analysis, and comprehensiveness, but there's lots of good stuff on youtube and vimeo (especially Dave Wells of Performance Goaltending). Basically, anything you can do to reinforce those basic techniques will be crucial not only to on-ice success but to injury prevention. The way goalies get hurt (apart from having lummoxes fall on them) is by doing something erratic and sudden, and as a a new goalie, you may react in a way that's not very helpful.

The biggest transition for you will definitely be moving from a 9'-11' profile to something between 26' (Graf') and 30' (Bauer, CCM, RBK) and a longer blade: that changes a lot of your skating mechanics. Graf does uses a shorter profile and a shorter blade. I wouldn't go any shorter than 22', as a rule, and that's still twice what most skaters would reasonably consider. Skate long and skate often to get the hang.

Equipment-wise, the best investment is definitely used pro-level gear: it's relatively cheap, can provide near-optimal protection, and holds its resale value extremely well (in case you give it up, or just don't like a particular piece). That said, it can be tricky to assess the condition of used goalie equipment, especially masks, and you may take a while to put together a complete set. There are some terrific deals at retail (the new Warrior Ritual Senior pads are a blindingly good deal), but it will depreciate, of course.

If you're going to splurge on anything, splurge on the mask, core protection (C/A, neck guard - meaning Maltese Gel! - pants and jock), skates, and a catching glove, in that order. Almost any pair of pads or blocker will stop pucks and protect you well; a crappy mask can be a life-threateningly bad purchase, and it's much trickier to make a good, protective glove than a good, protective blocker.

Thanks LG. I forgot to add that I'm only beer-league level. I'm already doing a pretty extensive stretching routine, and I plan on going to as many ice times as possible to get used to the new skates. My most important purchases will be Helmet, Jock,skates, and pads, in that order.

I'm pretty small, about 5'9"ish, and have noticed that intermediate equipment might be a better fit for me. It fits my body better, and seeing as how I'll be relying more on reaction rather than training, it would allow me to be more mobile. Save a few dollars that way at least.

Sometimes I wish I would go back to playing goal (played goal until I was 8 - at a time when I wore league-owned pads, my normal helmet, and normal skates). I played catcher in fastpitch softball from ~13 to 19. I love getting in front of stuff. My favourite players in both sports were always goalies and catchers.

I just don't think my body could take it. I'm a fatass with zero flexibility. And just turned 30. A bit late, I'd guess.

Starting late as a goalie can be really fun. I've put two friends into net who had never even played hockey before, and they're still playing and loving it. Guys who start young as goalies can get burned out and a little bitter and twisted (he said, looking in the mirror).

If you're already into flexibility training, that's huge. If you can put in the time on skating, even better!

Intermediate pads and gloves might be a way to go. However, I would caution that intermediate protective gear is generally (though not always) significantly less protective, and it only takes one beer-league moron with a heavy shot, no aim, and no consideration to put you at risk. Some older 'Intermediate Pro' gear was truly smaller pro-grade equipment, but most of that was phased out when the post-lockout specs came in.

The main measurement with pads is your ATK (ankle-to-knee) or FTK (floor-to-knee) measurement, taken seated with the knee at 90-degrees. That should give you a pretty good idea of the sizes you may be looking at. I'm 5'11", but I have a relatively long ATK, so I generally wear pads with a 35" or 36" base measurement and +1" to +"2" on the thigh-rise (36-38" overall).

Even if you just grab a goalie you know and buy him a few beers, it really is worthwhile to have some technical stuff demonstrated on-ice. The basic skating movement (T-pushes, C-cuts, shuffling) can be learned visually (eg. videos) but at least in my experience, backside recoveries and butterfly movement are totally counter-intuitive, and it really helps to have someone to work with.

All in all, you sound like you're off to a great start.

The only goalie I know, unfortunately, is our team's goalie. He's not one I would like to ask how to play the position, if you know what I mean. I have tiny legs, like a garden gnome. About a 31-32 inseam, so I'm looking at 31+1".

Haha -- I hear you. If you do get an opportunity, though, jump on it.

31" would be a very small base pad size... If you've got a chance to try a few things on, do it -- but throw on a pair of skates at the shop, or your sizing will be way off (unless you're wearing clogs).

For reference, here's a guy (not me) taking his ATK measurement:

smallersizeki7.jpg

And here's a link to a page that has Reebok's FTK sizing chart; for some reason, I couldn't find a good reference image. (Thanks, Flash.)

I see that Law Goalie has covered most of the required info but I figure I will add some information as I was in your position just over a year ago. Skating will be different, especially going back from Goalie to Player as the blade radius and length will throw you off. You will notice this the most when turning. As for equipment, here is where I can provide you with some information from my trials and errors:

1- Pro gear is ideal when buying used. Reasons are resale vale, quality and finish, and the protection. If you buy cheaper gear used, the less protection that it comes with will more than likely have been broken down and will be almost useless. This is especially true for the C/A. In order of importance of protection (excluding helmet and neck), I would personally go Chest, Catcher, Blocker,Leg Pads Pants. You can find good deals around this time and can score good equipment too. I would avoid intermediate unless you have a small frame for the reason being that it is not just the length that is short, it is also the leg channel is thinner and the boot is shorter as well. Its meant for teens and most teens aren't very built and at 5'9", I think you are too big (for reference, I am 5' 7", JUST fit into int gear with my ATK of 16/16.5", and currently use Revoke Pro Zone 33+3 pads with no issues). However, best thing to do is go to a shop with a good pad selection, let the guy know why you are there, and try some on to get an idea of where you are sizing wise. Also, don't be deterred by lower level gear if you buy used, on level below pro is fine if its not too beat up. Optional is to look at some knee pads, they will keep you knees and thighs safe from pucks and the ice of you slip off the knee landing.

2- Aside from the gear above, Helmet, throat, and skate are the key gear you should spend your money on. I would get nothing below a fiberglass mask if you are playing against adults who can put some power into their shots. Take it from me, I used plastic to start (Reebok 3K) and it did its job, but it cracked after 4 months of use in the chin and a well place slapshot would hurt. You can get a quality mask new for around 350-400 from Hackva, Promasque, Sportsmask, Bauer (NME7) Reebok (7k) or on eBay for around 150-250 depending on supply/demand. Throat is important too, Law Goalie recommends Maltese and its a quality product and people swear by it. There are others out there but are only really gonna stop skate blades. Finally, since you will be standing the whole time, I recommend buying a new pair of skates that fit properly. I know Bauer and other brands on on clearance and trust me, you don't want pain in your feet in net. If you do buy used, I STRONGLY suggest going to an LHS or meeting up with whoever is selling and try before you buy. Oh and a jock is pretty important too, don't think about using a player cup unless you want to be sterile really quick.

I hope this helps, I made the switch and love every second of it. If you are serious about playing the position, its gonna cost you to get descent gear so I am letting you know ahead of time, but you can find deals out there on great stuff. Check eBay, craigslist, and sometimes the sell section here. If you post your ATK, I am sure others and myself can help you with some sizing to give you an idea of where you are.

Thanks, Axx - I figured you'd have some good stuff to add for Bender.

BTW, how is your Swagger set doing?

I should also have mentioned (for the benefit of the OP) that if you have an extra set of player skates that fit you perfectly, you can always have a competent LHS remove the holders and install the boots in a pair of cowlings, and you'll end up with a perfectly fitted pair of goalie skates for less than a low-end off-the-shelf pair. As long as the shop can do it well, I *highly* recommend this.

hmm... I have a couple pairs of boots I can add a cowling on. Hadn't thought of that.

EDIT: Axx, I pulled the trigger on a set of Swagger 31" combo set for $450 from the Monkey. I tried on a few pair in an LHS, and the 31's fit me the best.

The Swagger pads held up well but I went with the Revoke pro zones I found on eBay as I wanted the larger thigh rise (+3) and a pro level pad. A very nice upgrade in all aspects of the pad, especially sliding and rotation. I ended up selling them on Ebay the swaggers.

Onto the topic at hand, I forgot to mention fit of equipment

Leg Pads - Knee in Center of knee cradle or close to center to ensure knee land on knee landing. Thigh rise should not be too high otherwise you cant move

Catcher blocker - personal preference

Chest - Goes just below belt line and arms should stop at the wrists. I prefer the arms short so I can get more mobility and glove fit

Pants - nothing too big or it will interfere with pads and movement

Mask - Snug but not tight that it hurts

Swagger Pads - You will like them, good pad for the price although I wasn't very satisfied with the catcher, too tough to break in and protection was average but for 450 it should be good