Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doctor Hook

I'm contemplating being "roller hockey pants guy" at beer league ICE hockey

Recently decided to rock the roller girdle and roller pants to beer league ice hockey (had a roller game the next morning (a Saturday) and I didn't feel like re-packing my bag again that early, especially with a hangover).

Anyway, so roller pants at ice hockey...I have to admit...I kind of liked it. Better mobility. Less setup.

If you think about it, the traditional pants and socks setup is kind of dated, right? Why have all those multiple parts to buy, replace, wash (maybe), leave under a locker room bench, etc. in the traditional setup when you can basically remove 4-5 pieces of gear (socks (2) + jockshorts/jock (1)+ garter (2) ) and dress like a big boy in big boy pants instead of little boy shorts and kneehigh socks.

I am compromising, though. I will be rocking plain black roller pants by HockeyTron. So almost like ref pants, but I think I still keep elements of the old school aesthetic from the traditional 4-piece setup with the practicality of a 2-piece pants/girdle setup.

Fellow "roller pants at ice hockey" bros, where you at? Why do you rock it? Spill it. Even if it's "because it's cheaper to just have 1 set of equipment for two types of hockey" to "because I'm lazy" is perfectly acceptable and more reasonable than anything a hater could say about this type of setup.

Haters, too. Go ahead and hate. Because players will play. In roller hockey pants. All day.

FM16.jpg

vs

ugly-canucks.jpg?w=247

Interesting Cooperall "The Rise and Fall" type of article here. Has some good points as to why the long pant could work today. The "traditional look" thing will probably always be a crutch, but the safety issue is most definitely rebuked with today's technology.

The gist: back in the day, when Cooperalls were hot and so was Kathleen Turner, old school materials used in Cooperalls supposedly caused players to slide with less friction across the ice and crash violently into the boards...sure, it wasn't because he got hit from behind or anything like that. And how was that even tested?

How about using textured nylon to increase friction? Or maybe adding rubberized patches on the outside of the pant if you're that concerned about sliding into the boards violently.

http://thegoodpoint.com/2009/05/the-death-of-the-cooperall/

I think ice pants with socks is a better look than long pants for hockey. And having played roller and ice, I can't say I felt any mobility advantages with the roller pants over the ice setup.

I don't agree that the Cooperalls thing was a safety issue, but more that it's annoying when you're trying to recover from a fall and you can't stop sliding.

I totally rock the roller pants.

Why?

1. I'm lazy and it's much easier to just pull up a set of pants over the whole thing.

2. Some guys gave them to me to replace my nasty sweats I used to wear over my girdle and shins.

While I can't really appreciate the look because I'm kind of traditional, it is way easier to just wear the pants.

I haven't gone back and have been wearing them for like 5 years now.

I play with a guy who wears cooperalls (I think he's had the same ones since they were released back in the day). I've seen some people give him crap about it on the ice, but it's pretty rare. I don't think most people in beer leagues really care what other guy's are wearing. If you like it go for it. For me I've just been wearing the pant and sock thing since I started playing so I'm comfortable in my pants and socks set up (although I might try a new Cooperalls type of deal if someone makes them for retail and if it got good reviews).

Seems like one of the most important flexibility locations is having full flexibility between the upper legs and lower legs. So if those pants don't impede that at all, seems like there's no issue.

I like having a lot of padding on my thighs and tailbone, even for beer league. Maybe if I was better I wouldn't care.

My experience with Roller Hockey Pants Guy is that he skates fast, shoots hard, and can't stop. Skate, shoot, slam into the boards.

Agree that no one really cares about what you wear in beer league. I know you said all black, but I can't help but picture these: http://www.fansedge.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?pfid=32-27483&index=0

Personally, I don't give much thought to it myself, and as I only play Ice I just stick with what I already own. This topic has tempted me to look into some roller pants though for stick times, don't have to worry about the extra gear that way.

I will say this, a guy on an opposing team in my beer league last year played in Roller Hockey Pants. It didn't seem to inhibit his mobility at all and he could play well.

However I must include the following: We did laugh a bit on our bench during Faceoffs. Whenever he would bend over to get in position. I'm going to call them "expansion zones", where there legs meet the hips and down through the seams at the bottom, would open up a bit and make it look like he was wearing a giant red thong. I believe the pants in question were Alkali CA9's

the only thing I'll say about them is that it makes it easier to know exactly who you are on the ice. in league play if everyone is wearing the same uniform I have a hard time telling one person from another out there. if you're wearing something that stands out however, roller pants, white gloves, yellow helmet for instance, then I know instantly that I should shadow you if needed. a minor issue but just a thought. in the end, where what's comfortable for you.

I play both ice and roller and use girdles for both, but use roller pants for roller and a shell and socks for ice. I wouldn't use my roller girdle (Valken V-elite) because the protection is fine for the lighter roller puck, but wouldn't be great for the harder heavier ice puck. There's also more contact in ice (even in non-contact leagues) so I prefer the protection of the Warrior Projekt for ice, but I like the weight and breathability of the Valken for roller.

As for the pants vs. shell for ice - I find my socks get cut up in ice and figure that may happen with pants so I just stick with the shell and socks. It's cheaper to replace the socks then to buy new roller pants. Plus, as Shoeshineboy mentioned, it's easier for people to key in on you for one reason or another if you wear something that really stands out like roller pants.

With that said, I'm not opposed to wearing roller pants for ice, but I'd definitely use an ice girdle rather than a roller hockey girdle.

I love roller hockey guy! Especially when he schools traditional hatahs! Seriously, though. Go for it. Function over style any day. Back in my roller hockey days I rocked a set of those GEAR pants that were basically a traditional ice hockey pant with full legs. Not slim and trim like traditional roller hockey pants at all. but no need to for a seperate girdle. Subseuqently, they were just fine on the ice.

Having said that, I rock some older Mission shin guards that are pretty wide. My tight hockey socks keep those bad boys from moving around. I don't even need to tape. I like that. When I went with the 1 piecer, I obviously had to tape. I dont' like to tape. I don't think I could even get a traditional roller pant over those bad mo' fo's.

I played with a guy last winter who rocked the same pants. In fact, we used to play on the roller team and were always admiring each other's pants although everyone else on the team thought they were a bad form. (ice wanting to be roller.) He asked if I still had mine. Which I dont'. The snaps eventually rusted out, one of the belt loops broke, the plastic broke, and my fragile self esteem wasn't up to par for the ridicle I got from the ice guys.

Having said that, I rock some older Mission shin guards that are pretty wide. My tight hockey socks keep those bad boys from moving around. I don't even need to tape. I like that. When I went with the 1 piecer, I obviously had to tape. I dont' like to tape. I don't think I could even get a traditional roller pant over those bad mo' fo's.

That's another reason I like the shell/socks setup for ice. For roller I use some older Nike V14 shins that stay in place with just the straps, but for ice I use Warrior Projekts which are very comfortable, but would need to be taped with roller pants. The Projekts do stay in place without tape with the tight Hockey Tron socks I've been using. I also like not having to use tape.

I have seen a company that is "trying" to be in the Hockey Swag game or whatever you want to call it, who were offering some inline pants that were sublimation or printed on that were made to look like ice pants/sock set-up. They actually looked really good. However I am pretty sure the company has fallen apart like roller hockey in general today!

I personally don't use roller hockey pants, but hey wear what works for you. By far the most random pants set up I have seen is sweatpants under ice hockey pants instead of socks. Kind of left me wondering why they didn't either buy socks or just go with roller pants?

I personally don't use roller hockey pants, but hey wear what works for you. By far the most random pants set up I have seen is sweatpants under ice hockey pants instead of socks. Kind of left me wondering why they didn't either buy socks or just go with roller pants?

I used to do that. to play roller hockey. :P i'm totally going to age myself here, but it was back in the days before roller hockey pants and girdles were out. I'd hike the sweats up so that the ankle elastic was just under the knee pad on the shin guard. this kept them in place pretty well and helped keep the lower leg a little cooler. i'd also wear them to play ice, but i'd have them all the way down.

I find the roller pants more comfortable, and they are certainly easier to get on quickly. If you have a ice girdle with a built in cup, getting the lower half of your body is as easy as pulling up the girdle and putting on the roller pants. No jock, no velcro / garter, no trying to get tight socks over shin pads (this is partly due to the way I wear my equipment).

I use some straps to secure the upper portion of my Easton shin pads under the pants, so I don't have the issue of having tape on top of the roller pants

I will admit that I still use the tradition setup out on the ice, but that doesn't mean that I like it.

I have seen a company that is "trying" to be in the Hockey Swag game or whatever you want to call it, who were offering some inline pants that were sublimation or printed on that were made to look like ice pants/sock set-up. They actually looked really good. However I am pretty sure the company has fallen apart like roller hockey in general today!

Never mind, I found the company. But it looks like they are having a little trouble.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/sporting-good-manufactures/chris-street-david-l/chris-street-david-levison-p-5cf1e.htm

http://www.ripoffreport.com/sports-teams-clubs/playmaker-apparel/playmaker-apparel-playmaker-ho-aecc0.htm