Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

haole

Looking for a hockey specific workout routine?

Hi Guys.

Dont want to interrupt but let me ask you this:

What is the most important thing for a powerful shot?

I´ve heard so much and i really like to practice my shot it´s my best weapon.

Some say it´s core strength others say arm or wrists etc.

Or do you think it depends on the type of shot. More core on slap shots or more arm/wrist for snap/wrist shots you know.

Thanks for answers.

Bye

Technique and then just overall strength.

Get on a strength program that include the main lifts...deadlifts, bench press, squat, military press. If you havent lifted before then you should start with light weight and learn the correct technique for all those lifts and then work your way up with weight. Be consistant and you will prosper.

Shot power/speed comes from using the legs properly. Driving off the back leg and a strong weight shift is going to generate the vast majority of your power so leg strength and hip strength, particularly in the rotational plane, are the keys. Core strength becomes important because it allows your body to transfer the power from your lower body through the shot.

Technique and then just overall strength.

Get on a strength program that include the main lifts...deadlifts, bench press, squat, military press. If you havent lifted before then you should start with light weight and learn the correct technique for all those lifts and then work your way up with weight. Be consistant and you will prosper.

Most of those will do nothing for your shot. Bulk will not help.

Shot power/speed comes from using the legs properly. Driving off the back leg and a strong weight shift is going to generate the vast majority of your power so leg strength and hip strength, particularly in the rotational plane, are the keys. Core strength becomes important because it allows your body to transfer the power from your lower body through the shot.

Agreed; legs, core and forearms are the biggest things for your shot.

Most of those will do nothing for your shot. Bulk will not help.

Agreed; legs, core and forearms are the biggest things for your shot.

All of the lifts I mentioned will increase overall power! I should have added rows and pull ups too. Squats are the best for building leg strength and all those compound lifts will strengthen your core...and forearms!

I'm assuming this guy already has solid skating ability and shot technique. You never see a strength program that only focuses on legs, core and forearms.

All of the lifts I mentioned will increase overall power! I should have added rows and pull ups too. Squats are the best for building leg strength and all those compound lifts will strengthen your core...and forearms!

I'm assuming this guy already has solid skating ability and shot technique. You never see a strength program that only focuses on legs, core and forearms.

Almost everything you posted is about creating upper body bulk, just about the worst thing you can do for shooting. That's why I hate seeing topics about weights or working out on this site, way too much bad information.

Exercise selection on it's own does not equate to improvements in strength, power, hypertrophy etc. Correct application of exercises, coupled with the smart programming and appropriate load for desired training effect, carries over most to the sport. Most of the time, typical programs gauged towards the lifting sports don't carry over to team sports very well.

Weight training doesn't lead to bulk... please stop making this assumption. What & how much you eat differs towards your desired goal, whether for physical appearance or/and performance. There will be a point where the body will naturally gain weight from strict and intense regular strength training (6-7 days/week, 2 sessions a day) regardless of how you eat but for the average joe, it is most likely we will never reach that plateau. This is a common trait for those in strength sports.

The misconception I find with topics like these is the lower body dominant focus. While the primary movements in hockey ARE lower body dominant, too many focus on just that ie. skating with very little movement in the upper body. Many skating videos/coaches teach us this but ultimately, the ability to transfer center of mass with the correct movement patterns is the foundation of good skating. Musculature in the upper body allows this to reached more effectively, along with a host of other benefits other than skating.

That being said, don't skip leg day.

Weight training doesn't lead to bulk... please stop making this assumption.

When most of the lifting suggested is targeted at the arms and shoulders, it is not a good "hockey specific" workout. I'm not saying those areas should be completely ignored, simply that they are not nearly as important.

Ultimately, the most hockey specific workout you can do is play hockey and train to be neurologically efficient with in-game situations?

Again, how you apply the load along with programming leads to your desired training effect. We all differ individually in relation to programming, hence my lack of enthusiasm with topics such as these.

In relation to the athletic development/static-spring continuum, some will benefit from absolute strength (ie. kids that have played hockey all their lives with little off-ice training) and absolute speed work (ie. lifters that have spent most of their time doing strength work with little hockey training specifics). However, we can all benefit from improving relative strength. When taking other contributing factors out such as technique, an athlete that is more proficient with their bodyweight will be more physically prepared in their desired sports, hence the testing of no. of chin ups a player can perform during camp.

However, many can barely perform one chin up. This is where the focus of upper body weight training comes in - to allow the individual to strengthen the musculature of areas which are holding them back from improving their performance.

I'm with you 100% on hating topics like these. The lack of information about the overall condition of the individual asking for help, as well as bad advice certainly has the potential for disaster.