Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

darmin

cage or visor/cage combo?

Hey guys need some help with which way to go.

I usually play with a visor but am getting married 2 weeks after a tournament, My partner wants me to wear a cage so that I won't have any visibe inuries for the photos.

The last time i used a cage was in 1995. has anything changed in the style of these?

I liked the look of the cage visor combo, but is there any isues with them?

Thanks in advance

I've just started wearing a cage again at 32 :ohmy:

nothing much has changed really, you still cant see much haha, but the bauer vision II seems to be the best one i've used so far, (i cant vouch for all cages btw, just an opinion)

the combi for me seemed to steam up slightly (last used in 95/96 also), but a friend uses one and he says he doesn't have that issue.

i'll lend it off him for a practise next week and give you a comparison if you like?

I've worn a Jofa 480 for a long time, and recently switched to a Bauer 7500. Between the color and the oval shape of the wires, it's probably the best bet for visiability. There are models above the 7500, but I didn't see a big enough difference to justify the additional cost.

I tried the cage/visor combo by Bauer and found it was really heavy and there was more cage on the bottom than I could deal with. I ended up going with a whole cage, lighter and easier to see through when glancing down.

I've worn it all, from the catseye cages to visors to regular cages. I've settled on a Boulder Hockey Shield. I wear it without the chincup, so it's basically a visor with mouth protection. No fogging issues after 5+ games or so (both for indoor roller and ice hockey), it is relatively light, and of course...looks cool. About $70 USD but it is a fair price for the value.

Also, you can change out the visor portion and those run about $35 or so.

At least for me, once I went visor/shield, I didn't want to go back to cage.

Is Boulder Hockey the real deal? My captain for my men's league team just got one and he seem to like it. And I've heard good things here and there. I like visors but don't see the need to risk facial injury if I'm not officiating. You can't go wrong with a cage though.

Is Boulder Hockey the real deal? My captain for my men's league team just got one and he seem to like it. And I've heard good things here and there. I like visors but don't see the need to risk facial injury if I'm not officiating. You can't go wrong with a cage though.

Yes, and I was skeptical as I've tried a lot of different facial protection options, including the original Itech fishbowl (never tried the combo cage/visors though). I'm happy with my Boulder purchase, especially with my non-chincup setup as it gives me the vision of a visor but with added protection and peace of mind with the mouth-covering cage. There was some adjustment to the decreased airflow and "fishbowlness" of it, but it only took a game or two until I stopped noticing it. Only additional upkeep step I do is I rub the shield down with a wet towel pre-game to remove old sweatmarks and spots (the instructions advise against using anti-fog solution on the shield, as it is already pre-treated with anti-fog/anti-scratch).

Also those wearing a cage do you still wear a mouth gaurd?

No, but that's just me. I did use a mouthguard when I wore a visor. A mouthguard is always a smart idea but I don't like using it.

Thanks for the link to the Boulder visor cage combo... just what I was looking for! I wanted to get Black to match my helmet, but I was wondering if it causes visibilty issues in seeing a black puck? Has anyone ever had issues with that?

Thanks for the link to the Boulder visor cage combo... just what I was looking for! I wanted to get Black to match my helmet, but I was wondering if it causes visibilty issues in seeing a black puck? Has anyone ever had issues with that?

I think it will. I originally ordered black, but then decided to switch, so I sent the company a note and my order was revised. I'm glad I made this decision, because the bottom cage portion is relatively thick and I think the black bars would be distracting (for me, at least).

Plus, I just like the clean aesthetics of an all clear cage. I even removed the side decals, which opened up the peripheral vision a touch more as well.