Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Louie

Home Network Help

I'm kinda stumped here and I feel it's something ridiculously easy to fix.

Parents switched from Comcast to AT&T DSL, they provided them with a Netgear DF7550 Wireless Gateway. Now, in previously had a Linksys router with hacked firmware to increase signal due to the layout of the house.

Now, I disabled the wireless signal on the gateway and connected the router to port 1, I can see that the Linksys router is getting full signal, but no Internet connection... What else do I have to do?

Yep, different subnets or not having the new gateway in the Linksys would be my first thoughts.

Agree with the advice above. A lot of times double NAT will mess things up. The Netgear is likely providing an internal IP using NAT which is confusing the Linksys. You could always disable the firewall on the Netgear.

This is similar to an issue I ran into with Time Warner. Their modem provides a non-routeable IP by default. I had to monkey with it to have it assign my router the public IP and act strictly as a bridge without any of the router functions.

If you want to use your own router for your gateway, you need to configure the Netgear to bridge. Some gateways provided by SPs dont allow this (the 2Wire gateway U-Verse uses is a good example). In that case, you'd be best to set the gateway into "dmz mode". In the case of the 2Wire gateway, you would set that, and then set your router to be DHCP. It would then be handed a non-RFC1918 address, and you'd be set. It's kind of a wonky magic they use to make it happen but it works.

Then again, my home router was a Juniper SRX so YMMV.