Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jaysakic8

Bauer Nexus vs. Total One Stick

^i have next to me an apx and an 1st gen TO, the apx seems slighty lighter and more balanced to me. so id have to disagree with you.

As far as nexus vs TO, i have never tried a nexus, but my TO is very durable and easy to load, my only beef with it is the soft feel of the blade, i much prefer the apx feel which i find crisp and much more responsive.

there was a really good post about the flex profiles of each stick i was searching for a couple of days ago but could not find. could anyone link it if they know where it is

personally i would stick with the apx if its not giving any problems. ive tried apx and x:60 and my wrist/snap feels more effortless than the t1 (used briefly) and the one80 im using now

I have the supreme one30 right now, how much better is the one80?

I have the supreme one30 right now, how much better is the one80?
Significantly better, but still not particularly high end. The one30 is/was an entry level stick - over 550 g, made of cheap/heavy materials (probably a good amount of fibre glass), poor puck feel and kick. Entry level composites from all companies perform fairly poorly, and the one30 is no different. The one80 was a midrange stick, its equivalent in the current lineup is the one.7. Just over 500 g, not as light or responsive as the top of the line sticks, but still a decent stick.

In the current Supreme lineup, I'd say:

High end ($200-260, 406 - 434 g):

- TotalOne NXG (most similar to old TotalOne)

- one.9 (most similar to old one95)

- one.8 (new stick)

Mid range ($110-150, 505-527 g):

- one.7 (most similar to old one80)

- one.6 (most similar to old one60)

Low end/entry level ($60-85, 565-570 g):

- one.5 (most similar to old one30)

- one.4 (most similar to old one20)

You'll notice a significant difference in performance between each of these tiers, with less difference within tiers.

I'm not a big guy at all, but if I take a lot of slappers for 3-4 trainings in a row with an apx, the pop would be gone for sure and the blade will probably be cracked.

It's a fact that those sticks are fragile..

Although I totally believe an average beer leaguer can keep them for a life-time without breaking.

I've learned to go easy on my sticks when they are about to break.. actually now I even stop using them as soon as I see a big crack.

A one95 was something like 460g.

But it's all about balance, an apx and a TO weight approximately the same, the apx feels clearly heavier.

Fortunately, I dont pay 250bucks for a stick :ph34r: (not that rich nor that reckless).

I have heard of people having problems with the Apx blade, maybe the new blade/foam design they tried out wasn't the best idea (suspect that they didn't use this blade in subsequent releases like the Nexus 1000 or TO NXG). Still all companies make the odd mistake, and for the most part high end Bauer sticks have had a reputation of being pretty durable. I'm just a bit surprised that you question the durability of the Nexus 1000 or TO NXG, but are excited about the one.9 and RBZ, I don't really see a reason to believe that former are less durable than the later.

Significantly better, but still not particularly high end. The one30 is/was an entry level stick - over 550 g, made of cheap/heavy materials (probably a good amount of fibre glass), poor puck feel and kick. Entry level composites from all companies perform fairly poorly, and the one30 is no different. The one80 was a midrange stick, its equivalent in the current lineup is the one.7. Just over 500 g, not as light or responsive as the top of the line sticks, but still a decent stick.

In the current Supreme lineup, I'd say:

High end ($200-260, 406 - 434 g):

- TotalOne NXG (most similar to old TotalOne)

- one.9 (most similar to old one95)

- one.8 (new stick)

Mid range ($110-150, 505-527 g):

- one.7 (most similar to old one80)

- one.6 (most similar to old one60)

Low end/entry level ($60-85, 565-570 g):

- one.5 (most similar to old one30)

- one.4 (most similar to old one20)

ughh tell me about it! i feel like the weight of the stick is taking my swing down for slap shots. especially when testing out other players sticks that are of better quality and lighter. The only reason i went with the one30 for right now is because i got back into playing after an 11 yr break and i didn't want to drop money down on high quality sticks until i get more comfortable in the game again. But i do feel like it is taking down my game as far as shooting and handling the puck compared to some other sticks out there. im definitely wanting to spend around $100 for my next stick and obviously looking in the mid range line. I definitely appreciate your break down for the bauer sticks, what you think of the easton sticks that are comparable. i.e. the mako 2 or 3?

ughh tell me about it! i feel like the weight of the stick is taking my swing down for slap shots. especially when testing out other players sticks that are of better quality and lighter. The only reason i went with the one30 for right now is because i got back into playing after an 11 yr break and i didn't want to drop money down on high quality sticks until i get more comfortable in the game again. But i do feel like it is taking down my game as far as shooting and handling the puck compared to some other sticks out there. im definitely wanting to spend around $100 for my next stick and obviously looking in the mid range line. I definitely appreciate your break down for the bauer sticks, what you think of the easton sticks that are comparable. i.e. the mako 2 or 3?

Haven't used any of the Mako sticks myself, I'm sure someone else could give you better insight. Looking at the specs, both the Mako M2 and Mako M3 appear to be moderately heavy mid range sticks (521-523 g), going for the same price points as the one.6 and one.7. Honestly, for the most part I don't think there are major QUALITY differences between the different brands, in general they have similar quality sticks at the various price points (i.e. a $100 Bauer, Easton, Warrior, Rbk or CCM will all be similar quality, same goes for $150 sticks between those brands, or $200 sticks, etc.). The only way to get that really high end feel (light weight, very responsive feeling) at a lower price is to look out for high end sticks that are on clearance because the newer model came out.

The main difference between the companies comes in the personal preference department. Between different companies, as well as different lines from the same companies, you'll often find different puck feel, different flex profiles, different shaft shapes, etc. One company or one line is rarely "better" than another, all companies/lines tend to offer similar quality sticks at the various price points, but there are plenty of differences in the personal preference department. People will often prefer a given company/line simply because they happen to like a specific flex profile, a specific puck feel, etc., but it's pretty hard for anyone to know what stick will work best for you.

One last option, if you don't like your current stick but don't have much money to spend, a good old Sherwood 5030 is never a bad option. They're light for wood sticks, they're pretty whippy for wood sticks, most people (myself included) love the puck feel, and you can find them in some reasonably moderate curves like the Stastny or the Ryan/Spezza. Being a wood stick the blade will certainly break down with time, but if you're easy on your sticks, and you immediately remove the tape from the blade after ever game/practice (to prevent water from really soaking in and damaging it), you can get some decent life out of them. Not a good choice if you play a tonne or are really hard on your sticks, but if you're easy on your sticks, just playing about 1 beer league game per week, and you take care of it from a taping perspective, then one 5030 might be enough to last you a season. This is 100% personal, but from a performance point of view I prefer 5030s to composite sticks until you start to get into the $100+ price points, entry level composites just suck in my opinion.

Still all companies make the odd mistake, and for the most part high end Bauer sticks have had a reputation of being pretty durable. I'm just a bit surprised that you question the durability of the Nexus 1000 or TO NXG, but are excited about the one.9 and RBZ, I don't really see a reason to believe that former are less durable than the later.

Like I said it's my personal experience, I started off with one90 and XXX onward.

I've seen those high end sticks getting lighter and ligher but also losing their durability and puck feel with dread blades since the TO and xxxx.

With the apx they are back with a decent blade, thought not as good as a one95.

Looking forward to these, because :

- The one.9 might be awesome (if it's a real remake of the one95)

- RBZ, from the feedbacks I've got so far the blade is supposedly phenomenal

loving my TO NXG grip which i think is best for wrist and snap shots. The pop of the stick is holding up well but it is chipping a lot more then other sticks i have used.

Like I said it's my personal experience, I started off with one90 and XXX onward.

I've seen those high end sticks getting lighter and ligher but also losing their durability and puck feel with dread blades since the TO and xxxx.

With the apx they are back with a decent blade, thought not as good as a one95.

Looking forward to these, because :

- The one.9 might be awesome (if it's a real remake of the one95)

- RBZ, from the feedbacks I've got so far the blade is supposedly phenomenal

Fair enough on the puck feel, it has definitely changed over time with Bauer sticks.

Durability though I think is tough to judge based on just your own experience, because there are so many variables when it comes to sticks breaking. Unless you're a very high level player going through insane numbers of sticks per year, your sample sizes will be so small, as most recreational users only every own 1 or 2 of each specific type of stick (i.e. most people will not go through 10+ Bauer X60s in their lifetime, they'll probably only own 1 or 2, then try something else). Even if a specific stick is well made with above average durability for the masses, you might break it quickly due to a slash in just the wrong point, a really awkward shot, a defect in that individual stick, etc. A player on my team recently broke his Easton ST on his third game with it, if he was simply to go off his own experience he'd probably say "Easton STs have terrible durability," but in reality that's probably not the case, chances are he just got unlucky. What I'm saying is, even if you've broken a few high end Bauer sticks relatively quickly recently, it really doesn't say much about their durability.

I have/had a TO, APX, One.8, and NXG within the last 3 years. The worst on durability to date is the one.8

I prefer bauer sticks and IMO I find them more durable than other brands that I have used in the past.

How would a Nexus 600 compare to a One 6?

I feel like the 600 isn't that bad honestly. Would I use it? No. but thats just after using 2 APX's, 2 nxgs and a ribcor. But before that i used the 600. I'll take some shits with it every now and then and it still feels really good. Simply weight is my issue.