Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

evh5150

Ice Slanting Down Near Boards

Is it like that all the way around the rink? Thankfully the rink I skate at uses the edger a minimum of twice a week.

Mostly just at the Zamboni doors. The ice is sits considerably higher than the floor. I guess they have to do that so it is like a ramp for the Z to get up to the level of the ice?

HAHa where have you been?

My home rink is Whitley Bay, which is pretty bad. The corners are OK as of right now, but they fluctuate in quality.

In order of quality that I've played at: Nottingham, Sheffield, Edinburgh, Deeside, Bradford, Billingham, Whitley Bay, Grimsby.

This a combination of lack of edging and a refrigeration problem. One of our rinks had this problem on one side, and it wasn't nearly as bad as pictured. Edging helps because if the ice is at the correct depth it freezes, the thicker it is the longer it takes to freeze. So when you slack on edging it builds up on the edges, but once a night isn't necessary (we do it once a week). Also, if your system has air in the system it struggles in areas, or if the system is very old it can have chunks of brine blocking some sections and cause only certain areas to have higher temps. Ours had a chunk of brine and had a lot of air in the system. Once that was taken care of problem solved.

Shaundizzle, how did your rink take care of the air/brine problem? The rink I play at has a 3' wide by 100 long section that is soft and doesnt ever really freeze at the surface. They have to cover it with blueboard whenever the ice isnt being used. I was told it was due to oil (brine?) in the coils. They took the ice out all summer to fix it and it is as bad or worse as it ever was last year.

Just curious if theres something that they are missing that I can suggest they try...

Pittu, sorry, I've been slacking, we decided to bleed to system and kept adding brine till it leveled off. All told we added like 250 gallons of brine. Ice has been great for the most part going on a couple months now. Had one re-occurrence and bled the system again and added another 30 gallons. To your point about the section that doesn't freeze we had a long section as well that used to give us problems. That section is also good now.

If you are referring to the rink in College Station, its probably worse (I figure that's about an hour away from some parts of Houston). I played one season there & the ice rounds up at the boards because I never saw them use an edger after our games & they had holes in the ice for a few games (removed the cones that were out for public skate & we just tried to avoid the areas).

At the public skate I went to the other night, there was basically a ditch all the way around at the boards and a giant pothole where the main door was. I know this is Texas, but it was the worst I've seen, especially on a day when my girlfriend and I decided to take my sister skating for the first time.