Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RigTimmins

Frustrating Lace Bite!

Another thing that helped me was switching to wide laces. The thin ones like Elite Oval and Grafs really focus the tightness on a small area. The wider ones seem to distribute the tightness more comfortably.

After playing on Friday, I came to the conclusion that I just needed new skates. Over two weeks of no skating, and I tried to skate with just wicking socks. Within 15 minutes I had to go in and put the Bunga pads in. I finally gave into the fact that I was having to tie my skates pretty damned tight most of the time and my right skate never fully fit quite right (my heel would lift up and down and it was causing a pretty serious crepitus on my lateral malleolus). I went to my LHS and tried on some more skates. The skates I was most interested in were the Bauer Nexus line since they have the deepest boot so I tried on a few of those as well as Supremes. I bought the Nexus 800, had them baked, and skated them the next day for a full game. This was the first time I hadn't worn some kind of padded sock or bunga protection pad in months, and I experienced no pain whatsoever. I actually got a whole size smaller from the CCM (10 instead of 11), and while I was expecting some discomfort around the midfoot during break in since they were tight, I experienced none. So far I'm definitely happy with the purchase, and I hope that I can continue to skate with no pain! I don't like the way the Nexus skates quite as much as I liked the CCM so far, but I only skated in them once, so I'm sure I'll get used to em.

Another thing that helped me was switching to wide laces. The thin ones like Elite Oval and Grafs really focus the tightness on a small area. The wider ones seem to distribute the tightness more comfortably.
Agreed. Noticeable improvment when I stopped using the elite laces...which I liked otherwise.
Another thing that helped me was switching to wide laces. The thin ones like Elite Oval and Grafs really focus the tightness on a small area. The wider ones seem to distribute the tightness more comfortably. Any recommendations on a wide lace (preferably waxed)? I thought the elite oval were supposed to be wider than a regulalr elite lace...is that not the case?
I use graf and bauer laces, nice and wide, seem to distribute prrssure better.

Padding. I haven't had problems in a while. But a few years ago I used to keep a piece of foam padding that had fallen out of my girdle in my bag. I trimmed it down a little and put it under the tongue of the skate where the lace bite was the issue. Eventually the lace bite went away.

Why am I getting lace bite on a 3 month old skate? Is it that the tongue is getting more compacted? I popped a bit of mouse pad under the tongue on the part of my ankle the puck hit me. It definitely felt better. I noticed that there are just times I would get hot spots on my ankles and insteps. I should've cut two of my lace bite pads, if that is what I have going on.

Do skate tongues have a shelf life? Can I (meaning a cobbler or equipment person) replace the tongues?

I do have the Maltese lace bite pads coming.

I skate 2-3x per week. I know that CCM U+ 07 are nowhere near top of the heap. It seems that the liner around the tendon guard is pulling away from itself. Ugh...

you skate a lot but 3 months for a tongue seems to be too little to have the tongue break down. it seems form what youre describing the skates fit wasnt right, but to get you by the lace bit pads can help, as well as some alternate lacings up top.

you skate a lot but 3 months for a tongue seems to be too little to have the tongue break down. it seems form what youre describing the skates fit wasnt right, but to get you by the lace bit pads can help, as well as some alternate lacings up top.

The weirdest thing is how good these felt after baking. No hot spots, nothing. But the longer I have them, the worse they feel. Last Monday at the open skate, these skates were just plain miserable on my instep. Wednesday, they weren't too terribly bad, nor Thursday (until I got a puck in the eyelets). But Sunday, they didn't feel great, and yesterday, they were horrible. Oddly enough, they feel weirdest during open skate sessions, not stick and puck.

It's just a weird phenomenon, I guess. I don't have terribly odd feet, either.

does anyone know where you can pick up the G-form lacebite pad? Their main sit only lists the primary protective gear but no lacebite pads, were they discontinued I hope not.

does anyone know where you can pick up the G-form lacebite pad? Their main sit only lists the primary protective gear but no lacebite pads, were they discontinued I hope not.

Click on the "Shop" tab on the top of the page. They're on page 3.