Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pushead2

Slap-shot tips - ball hockey

Hey y'all,

I wasn't sure where I should put or start this thread but anyone have any good tips for ball hockey (dek / on foot) slap-shots?

I can't get used to it at all but it's such a fun exercise. I know it's completely different than ice & can't get a good shot off. Anyone have any pointers??

A lot of those guys use really short sticks don't they?

There's a few inches difference in your height on and off skates. Adjust your stick's length accordingly, that should help a good bit.

Snap shots and quick half slaps are your bread and butter in ball hockey. When laying out a big slapper you want to really twist the blade when you aim post shot. The only other issue is don't slap while moving. Unfortunately in street hockey you are not fluid in movement so stick to your quick shots when moving.

Also yeah as playthehawkee mentioned you should be running a significantly shorter stick.

Besides the lack of ice hockey skates and a puck how exactly is the technique "completely different"?

The key with a slaphsot is stick flex. If stationary, your body should face 90 degrees to (right or left depending on how you shoot lefty or righty) from the direction of the net. The ball should be between your front and back leg or just in front of front leg. Wind up with your weight on the back foot, strike the playing surface about a foot (or little less) before the ball (this is key)to create flex on your stick and load it with potential energy. Just as your stick is about to strike the surface, your back foot shud go up in the air and your weight transferred to the front leg. The flexing of the stick which loads your stick with a mass of potential energy is what makes the slapshot harder then snap and wrist shots.

You should watch some of these videos which visually shows the the technique.

SlowMo

SlowMo and explanation

Besides the lack of ice hockey skates and a puck how exactly is the technique "completely different"?

The ball is going to sail on you if you use the same motion you do on ice due to the higher center of gravity. You really have to focus on keeping the face closed and the follow through low/short. Releasing the puck farther back in your stance is a good way to do both.