Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

NHL thanks fans for coming back after the lockout

Is it because they (I think rightfully so) believe that there will be enough demand that the benefits of raising prices, being revenues, would outweigh the costs? I'm sure there are a multitude of other reasons of course.

This article makes a blanket statement for the enitre league, just how much control does the league have in setting prices for individual teams? I thought that was mostly at the discretion of the teams with respect of course, to certain pricing regulations.

I believe here "NHL" implies "Teams in the NHL" and not the head office. Some teams like the Florida Panthers offered ridiculously low season ticket prices, at least for the upper bowl. It's possible they raised the lower bowl ticket prices though, that I do not know or haven't read anything on that. Personally I would have expected the teams to at least keep the ticket prices the same as last year to "thank the fans" for coming back. But based on how the fans reacted after the last lockout with the league wide revenues being higher then they have ever been, it's kind of understandable that ticket prices went up. It worked the last time after a full season was lost so I guess they figured that it would work again this time around.

The problem with the idea of thanking fans by keeping ticket prices equal is that these ticket prices were set well before the lockout, so at the time of their setting there was nothing to thank fans for. What will be interesting is to see what happens to prices next year. That would be the time you would see it if teams were going to "thank" fans by holding ticket prices level/decreasing ticket prices.

The teams knew there would be a lockout, their negotiating (or lack of) ensured that. By raising prices, they were able to run promotions and discounts that appear larger than they would have been if they were based on last years pricing. I don't believe this article factors in those discounts or specials.

The league does not have any direct authority over team ticket prices. However, they will make suggestions on strategic revenue issues.

The teams knew there would be a lockout, their negotiating (or lack of) ensured that. By raising prices, they were able to run promotions and discounts that appear larger than they would have been if they were based on last years pricing. I don't believe this article factors in those discounts or specials.

The league does not have any direct authority over team ticket prices. However, they will make suggestions on strategic revenue issues.

Is it because that's in the owner's hands? In that their intent is to make money?

To what extent do sponsors have a say in pricing?

Yes, teams knew there would be a lockout,but they didn't know there would be a season. So why lower prices to "thank" fans with cheaper tickets to games that may not happen. This way they can keep these new higher prices constant, or lower them a little bit next year and you'll get all kinds of media saying how the owners are thanking fans by holding down ticket prices

Is it because that's in the owner's hands? In that their intent is to make money?

To what extent do sponsors have a say in pricing?

Each team is an individual business, run by their owners. The league has served the owners for most of the last few decades. I don't think we're going to see a truly independent league office in the near future either.

League sponsors have no say over pricing at all.