Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gambitt

Bauer vapor roller hockey skates APXR or APX2R?

I have a dilemma with this skates.

I can get the APXR for 450€ now or reserve the APX2R for 495€ in October.

Is the new specs of the APX2R sufficiently good for wait to October and pay more?

What is the kryptonium chassis?

I love the APXR design, but I think the APXR2 specs are better :S

The new lacing system is a very nice feature and I also prefer the thicker tongue on the 2( much more comfy fit). The frame is also a bit of an upgrade regarding weight, the frame is built like a bridge structure. You have material where its needed and where it not you have nothing. The APX2 has the newest RV wheel that has been hyped up for good reason, I love the addiction but the RV wheel has been gaining popularity. I personally think the APX2 is a better boot than the APX but if saving money is your first choice the APX isn't a bad choice by any means.

If you need skates this summer the choice is easy but if you have time to wait for the APX2 to come out I think I would give it a go.

Go apx2.

Do a search or just look back a page or two and there are some pics of the new apx2 skate. The chassis looks as minimal as you can get it. It looks similar to the chassis on the mission ac2s now except even more material is removed.

bauer-vapor-apx2r-skates.jpg

ac2.jpg

Same thing except the cutouts are a little bigger. I wonder since mission owns the Hilo (and I guess that means Bauer owns it too) if we will see this chassis on the next line of mission skates as well. Or if mission will stick with what they have and keep pushing the magnesium chassis for their lower weight.

Go apx2.

Do a search or just look back a page or two and there are some pics of the new apx2 skate. The chassis looks as minimal as you can get it. It looks similar to the chassis on the mission ac2s now except even more material is removed.

bauer-vapor-apx2r-skates.jpg

ac2.jpg

Same thing except the cutouts are a little bigger. I wonder since mission owns the Hilo (and I guess that means Bauer owns it too) if we will see this chassis on the next line of mission skates as well. Or if mission will stick with what they have and keep pushing the magnesium chassis for their lower weight.

If Mission hasn't made up a new holder for the next skate you would see the APX2 frame there. The material is a bit different from the AC2.

AC2 frame is made of aluminum and the AC1 and I assume this new frame is magnesium or a version of it.

I may be wrong but I think in the thread it said the new apx2 frame is aluminum, and iirc, they said they got better strength and weight loss by sticking with aluminum and just cutting out more. Maybe with this much missing the magnesium didn't hold up as much or with so little material it didn't pay to go with the mag. Or I could be wrong bc the specs arnt officially out.

Either way I'm sure the second it goes to mission itll be turned white and neon and never have a hope of being anything near traditional looking :rolleyes:

I wonder when/if they'll start looking at other materials or metals for chassis besides just other aluminum types

Titanium

Chromoly used on bikes

Plastics

Carbons.

Though the real challenge will be one day getting wheel weight down then you can truely have a lightweight roller skate

Might end up being close to the same. They save weight with the new frame but add a bit of weight with the thicker and longer tongue.

Which is lighter? The APXR or APX2R?

Might end up being close to the same. They save weight with the new frame but add a bit of weight with the thicker and longer tongue.

Thanks, so, which will be the launch price?

Thanks, so, which will be the launch price?

It will most likely be $850. I can check on that tomorrow but I can't see them bumping it up from the current APXR price.

It will most likely be $850. I can check on that tomorrow but I can't see them bumping it up from the current APXR price.

Thanks, I´ll waiting your new report.

Mission did carbon way back on the first wicked lights - I have a pair and whilst the carbon frame held up ok it was prone to chipping around the bolts. Dunno if they'd go that route again

Mission did carbon way back on the first wicked lights - I have a pair and whilst the carbon frame held up ok it was prone to chipping around the bolts. Dunno if they'd go that route again

Getting kind of off topic but I actually have a pair in pretty good condition considering the age and the carbon chassis is sort of splitting/chipping in front. Given they're from 2001 so I guess they did hold up pretty well. I could definitely see a carbon chassis breaking though. A good enough shot in the right place and maybe cracks start to go all the way through the chassis around the axle holes. I don't think it would hold up.