Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PiKappaPhi

Blake hit

I just caught a quick glimpse of Rob Blake levelling some guy on a latvian team. I looked solid, and the guy who got hit looked a bit undone after it. Blake can still hit like none other...

one of the few guys left that can drop someone with a hip check. i'm still kinda bummed he's not a king anymore. its just not right.

gauthier is the king of hip checks.

He's just a jester compared to Blake, the king of the "rump shaka" to quote mack.

well blake is the king of all time. but right now its gauthier... or mccabe.

C'mon, we all know McCabe is a way better checker than Gauthier! LOL

He makes all his hip checks count. There aren't really enough of then anymore, almost like guys are afraid to throw them. My coach once told me that he could tell if you were a good hitter if you could throw a good hip check, it's preatty true when you think about it. All the guys in the show that throw them are all great checkers.

Actually I suppose he's also the "queen" of hiding behind referees and linesemen after delivering one of his legendary knee bangers. Along with this comes a commendation for keeping his gloves so well cemented to his hands...

He doesn't use it enough. He always gets oppertunities to throw them, but never does. It's gotta be his age, he's become alot less aggressive in the past few seasons.

Like Lidstrom, he doesn't go out of his way to throw a hit when it would take him out of position.

There are some times he could do it and take the other man out of position too. You have to weigh this in too. Earlier in his career he bit the bullet and threw them. Gutsy playes can turn into good plays also, not alwyas bad ones you know.

There are some times he could do it and take the other man out of position too. You have to weigh this in too. Earlier in his career he bit the bullet and threw them. Gutsy playes can turn into good plays also, not alwyas bad ones you know.

True, but if you're in position to keep the man on the outside, why risk giving up an outnumbered situation just for the big hit? In his early days, Leetch gave up a lot of odd man chances against his team. Hitting a guy isn't the only way to eliminate a scoring chance and it's not even the best way most of tht time. If you go running at a guy and don't get him fully, then you have to grab him as he goes by. Or once you hit him, you have to then make sure you beat him back to the middle of the ice from the boards. That's a lot of extra effort for the same result as pushing him into the corner and having him dump the puck or try to cycle it.

I understand where you are coming from, but it's this style of hockey (passive) that is ruining the game. Taking risks is what makes the game what it is. Riskless hockey is boring to watch. Think New Jersey and Ottawa. Riskless = Boring.

I understand where you are coming from, but it's this style of hockey (passive) that is ruining the game. Taking risks is what makes the game what it is. Riskless hockey is boring to watch. Think New Jersey and Ottawa. Riskless = Boring.

There's a difference between not running around to make a hit and playing a trap. In your zone you should be careful but I prefer to watch a pressure forecheck game in the offensive zone.