Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flyguy1

Shooting mat to mount on wall and absorb shots?

I made a few toys to mess around with in my basement. I made a slide board, skill/shooting pad, Indo board and wobble board. I've been wanting to use the skill pad for more than just stick handling and I want to start shooting from it. My small basement has no more room for anything else, especially a net.

My max length from the back of the skill pad to the wall is 12'. I was thinking about putting a rubber tarp or something I could hang to absorb the pucks but I could not find anything thick enough and I have a drop ceiling that can't hold any resistance.

Has anyone made anything to shoot against in their house that's not a net and hasn't destroyed the house? I'm not looking for a target really, mire just want to practice my shots and try it off the slide board.

I was thinking about hanging a couple of these mats on the wall to protect it, but they are $45 bucks at my local hardware store and would need at least 2.

http://m.grainger.com/mobile/details/?R=6LUL1

Has anyone made anything or have an idea on what I can put on the wall (that's not a goal) to shoot pucks against?

I think I'm going out on a limb with this one, but its worth a try...

By a cheap, heavy rug or go to a carpet store and buy a remnant. We use this at our local rink for off ice shooting

By a cheap, heavy rug or go to a carpet store and buy a remnant. We use this at our local rink for off ice shooting

Lol wouldn't you just rip the carpet? Unless you're a kid or shooting foam pucks it would just rip.

The only thing I can think of are those huge mats they use in gymnasiums on the walls so kids don't run into them. Very thick and could probably take heavy slapshots.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gymnasium+wall+mats&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=AE0ED0665DFA3BE86B9FE934AC9A0AC62E703D73&selectedIndex=8

No idea where you would get them though.

Yeah use those mats they use in gyms it's exactly what I was thinking, and they are pretty thick, here's an idea of where to get one, if any schools near you are getting torn down go to all of them and ask if you can have those mats lol.

Awesome! Thanks guys. The carpet is the perfect idea and cheapest I think too. Di.ding somewhere to hang the carpet is going to be alittle tricky but I think I got a good idea.

My idea is mount 2 large hooks on the wall studs and put a lengths a wood or pipe across, drape carpet over and put weights on bottom. That way I can take it down if my wife starts giving me a hard time and put it up when I'm going to use it.

The clothes hanger would be perfect but not sure my wife is going to want that in the basement, she already puts up with everything else... :)

Awesome! Thanks guys. The carpet is the perfect idea and cheapest I think too. Di.ding somewhere to hang the carpet is going to be alittle tricky but I think I got a good idea.

My idea is mount 2 large hooks on the wall studs and put a lengths a wood or pipe across, drape carpet over and put weights on bottom. That way I can take it down if my wife starts giving me a hard time and put it up when I'm going to use it.

The clothes hanger would be perfect but not sure my wife is going to want that in the basement, she already puts up with everything else... :)

There are some that collapse, or you could make one that you can assemble when you want to use it. Either way, make sure it stands off far enough from the wall.

+1 on the carpet hung slightly away from the wall with a weight on the bottom. You could tape off the dimensions of a net on it.

An old twin sized mattress works pretty well.