Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MondoxGecko

Gear upgrade priority

Or you could look at this another way. How much better do you want to get or are you just happy with the way you play? Ice time is always limited so maybe think about some off ice training tools, things I can think of are:

- tape 2 tape, slide mat, shooting mat, goal and tarp, pucks - to practice passing, shooting and puck handling

- green biscuit, abs blades, inline skates - to practice skating and puck handling.

You are in southern US so the weather is more friendly towards outdoor training. For you and the level you are currently at, imho any of those options are going to improve your game a lot faster than a gear upgrade.

Otherwise just buy / replace stuff that annoys you or doesn't quite fit right, the gear you currently have will take you a long way in terms of ability and skill if it all fits well and you are comfortable with it.

I think this makes a lot of sense, ice time is pretty limited here, so I'm going pick up some stuff to help work on my puck handling the rest of the year.

I think new elbows are probably in order as well. The Mako's, Mako M5's and the Warrior AX1's are intriguing, does anyone have experience with the breath-ability and flexibility of either?

I think this makes a lot of sense, ice time is pretty limited here, so I'm going pick up some stuff to help work on my puck handling the rest of the year.

I think new elbows are probably in order as well. The Mako's, Mako M5's and the Warrior AX1's are intriguing, does anyone have experience with the breath-ability and flexibility of either?

AX'1s are great. They take a few skates to get broken into, but they don't slip and provide a pro level of protection. They're built to be more like the 7K Pro /Jofa elbows.

I didn't use the AX1 elbow pads I had briefly, but they seemed well made, were comfortable when I tried them on and it's immediately obvious they were built to be very protective. The mobility was good for something so protective. I prefer the 2012 grey and blue Warrior Projekts - you can tell from comparing the two that the AX1's offer more protection, but the Projekts are lighter and more mobile.

With that said, if you're looking for maximum protection while still having good mobility and comfort then the AX1's are definitely worth considering. The mobility and comfort likely increases once you break them in - I wouldn't know personally, but Amiroo's post suggests as much.

I would sell your gift card to someone who needs some gear, and use the proceeds to buy the boys beers for the next skate.

I think you about got the equipment angle covered....except the stick, but sounds like your happy with the wood stick...

Hey guys wasn't sure where to post this or if it was worth it's own thread, but this was the most active thread...

I am joining a men's league after not playing for about 10 years. I'm out of the loop completely on equipment. I need to get: helmet, shoulder pads, elbow pads, shin pads, and jock/garter shorts. 29 yo, 6'0" 175lbs, used to play traveling and high-school.

Could you please recommend me good stuff? I am looking for cost effective, bang for my buck. If it's worth throwing down up front on a real good something let me know, but mostly looking for good products that aren't too expensive.

Thanks in advance!

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet, but the one crucial piece of gear the OP is missing is clearly... a TML jersey. Get that, and I'd say you're just about set.

But seriously, all your gear is super decent, fit issues aside. But if you got gift money burning a hole in your pocket, definitely try a high end stick. Given what you have already, that is the only conceivable piece of equipment where you WILL notice a performance increase, which I believe was the original aim of this post.

I'm a big fan of buying old high end stock on clearance. For example, I'm still using two Reebok 10Ks that I bought just last year. last year. These are what, five year old sticks? For $100 a pop, you can't go wrong. I actually just picked up an 11K which is just now approaching my comfort price range, but I'm waiting for one of the 10Ks to crap out before I christen the 11k. The longwinded point is this: the sticks that were top of the range a few (even 5) years ago are still going to be light years ahead of that sherwood.

If your e gift card happens to be for the monkey, why not try that mystery pack option if you're not sure what you want? who knows, you may discover a new friend.

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet, but the one crucial piece of gear the OP is missing is clearly... a TML jersey. Get that, and I'd say you're just about set.

Too Many Laughs?