Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

noobee

Wide feet, thick ankles, high instep?

http://imgur.com/lgHG70q

http://imgur.com/FGvxJtq

http://imgur.com/fwgmIDA

Hi, I'm 5'11 205lbs and been playing a year and these are my feet. Lol sounds like an addicts meeting. I need a little help with skate selection. I currently wear 2013 Vapor x60 8EE which are no where near deep enough and possibly too narrow since I get massive pain along the outside of my feet. I have tried CCM U+05 8D which were narrow and gave me bad lace bite and CCM RBZ 80 7.5D which were not too bad width wise but too shallow. Nexus 600 were almost there but not quite on depth. Going to look at some skates on the weekend but need some direction. I like the look of Graf G9035 but they don't seem to sell them here in the UK. G75 maybe. My left ankle bone is a fair bit larger than the right due to an old injury and I have pretty thick ankles. Hopefully you can point me in the tight direction.....

Thanks a bunch

Thanks. I'll give them a go. Graf are hard to get hold if here on UK, or anywhere from what I've seen on the forum. Any one have experience with nexus?

That is exactly how Graf describes the fit of the 709. The newer Graf models are also surprisingly wide as well.

Cheers chad. With regards to Graf, I can only get my hands on G7, G70 and G75. Aren't these all lower cut boots? Do any of these fit like the 709? Must admit, I do like the look if the G7.

Cheers chad. With regards to Graf, I can only get my hands on G7, G70 and G75. Aren't these all lower cut boots? Do any of these fit like the 709? Must admit, I do like the look if the G7.

G7 is a very different boot, much more flex in the ankle than you will find in most other models. I like that, but most people do not. Any of those in a W may work for you.

I have very similar feet (high instep and very wide) and right now i'm using a pair of Nexus 800's size 7 D. They are just about at the borderline of not being deep enough (my ankles almost hit the eyelets) but they are definitely not wide enough for me. I wish I would have gotten them in 6.5 EE and I feel they would have been perfect. I may try on a pair of 709's just to see if they feel any better.

That is exactly how Graf describes the fit of the 709. The newer Graf models are also surprisingly wide as well.

I was surprised when I put on a wide of their's... never had that much ankle room before. I go wide in Nexus and the ankle is snugger than the 5035 in a wide.

Josh V, had my feet called a lot if things but never 709 feet lol. Unfortunately I can't get them over here in the UK. I will try some Graf skates on the weekend and definateley give the nexus 1000 a shot. Other than the pencil test is there anything else I should bear in mind when trying skates on, I, and especially my wife won't be best pleased if the new skates turn out wrong a few weeks down the line.

Are we talking new Tacks? I like them but assumed they were out as the RBZ weren't deep enough. I'll give them a go though. I think any wider fitting skate in EE will be ok, it's just the depth.

Thanks everyone, I'll update you later with my findings. Please keep suggestions coming.

Conceivably, the wider the skate, the more one's foot could sit 'deeper' within it (spreading outwards). The RBZ EE is wider than Tacks EE.

Makes sense. And that is what I thought re. The Tacks/RBZ. So first point of call will be nexus, both 1000 and 7000, and some Grafs. Might give a Supreme 190 a go just because. Will the pencil test be my most helpful hint at sufficient depth?

Ok so gave the Nexus 1000 7.5EE a shot, slightly tight on the inside ball of my left foot, great heel lock and enough volume according to pencil test. Will this open up with baking? Our shops here are not like urs and they won't bake until I buy.

Lady recommended, as did Cove, the Tacks. They only had 8EE and wow, very nice, snug in the forefoot, but not enough volume. The lace bite pad is hard so that won't be an issue but failed pencil test on my arch and no heel lock. Maybe a 7.5EE might work better but the volume thing is off putting. No Grafs here.

So, I will try another shop tomorrow, nexus 7000 and maybe a Tacks 7.5EE. Hopefully they'll have some Graf but the low cut will leave my fragile ankle a little exposed.

Ok so gave the Nexus 1000 7.5EE a shot, slightly tight on the inside ball of my left foot, great heel lock and enough volume according to pencil test. Will this open up with baking? Our shops here are not like urs and they won't bake until I buy.

Baking will alter the fit a little. I've always gone with the saying that "pressure is ok, pain is not". If they hurt your foot, then baking will not solve the problem.

Failing the pencil test at the arch isn't the worst thing in the world, but the lack of heel lock is a killer on that one.

Lady recommended, as did Cove, the Tacks. They only had 8EE and wow, very nice, snug in the forefoot, but not enough volume. The lace bite pad is hard so that won't be an issue but failed pencil test on my arch and no heel lock. Maybe a 7.5EE might work better but the volume thing is off putting. No Grafs here.

So, I will try another shop tomorrow, nexus 7000 and maybe a Tacks 7.5EE. Hopefully they'll have some Graf but the low cut will leave my fragile ankle a little exposed.

Baking will open them up a little in the forefoot. Or you can always punch/stretch that area. If you have enough heel lock/depth, you are on the right track.

I doubt the Tacks will work for you. The RBZ are deeper/wider than Tacks. If they don't have any Grafs, Nexus EE will probably be your best bet with some adjustments

The tacks funnily enough had a pretty flat wide forefoot but I need a 7.5 and the shop didn't gave any. That might cure thd lack of heel lock?

And the nexus was definateley tight on the ball, not sure if it was pressure or painful. Punching sounds good but spending money on a maybe is risky. The RBZ have a soft tongue that is off putting.

You guys are brilliant for your advice, and the guys from Bauer are at the other shop tomorrow's so between you all I'm sure we can sort this.

Quick question. If you pass the pencil test but the thickness of the tongue bulges out of the skate, is that ok? And how much do CCMs RBZ/Tacks and Bauers Tech Mesh/Curv quarters fit to your foot? Wish I could bake first.

Having to punch out skates is not uncommon. You're talking about the spot on the boot next to the toe cap, correct? That's probably the most common area to punch.

Look on the CCM Tacks Skates thread for a picture of an unbaked Tacks skate vs. baked for your answer

Having to punch out skates is not uncommon. You're talking about the spot on the boot next to the toe cap, correct? That's probably the most common area to punch.

Look on the CCM Tacks Skates thread for a picture of an unbaked Tacks skate vs. baked for your answer

Wow. That's one hell of a transformation. I really like these. I'll try them again as I can get these for £425 on deal tomorrow. The Nexus 7000 £380. I prefer the Nexus 1000 to the 7000 but they are £380 too. Would you say the 1000 are better? I know they are a year older but they are similar quarters......

Yes, heat molding definitely changes them quite a bit.

I prefer the 1000 myself, over the 7000. Both are great skates though, can't go wrong with either if they fit properly...

Cool. Although pretty pricey for a discontinued skate, the 1000 does tickle my fancy. If the tacks in 7.5EE don't fit I think I'll go with them. May see if the shop can know a little more £££ off lol.

So went to the "Bauer day" at puckstop in UK and went through RBZ 7D, too tight in forefoot, same with the Tacks 7D. They didn't have any EE and didn't want to order at the risk of it not fitting and then paying full price for something else. Supreme MX3 7.5EE fit well and depth was ok. Slightly tight in forefoot. Supreme 190 was only in a 7 but the traditional lace system lost me the depth that made the MX3 ok. Not sure if the 7.5EE would of helped but again, couldn't risk it. Gave the Nexus 8000 a go in a 7EE as no 7.5. Plenty of room but depth wasn't much more than the 7.5 MX3. My ideal size would be 7.25 so the length difference is irrelevant but do you think the Nexus 8000 will end up being too loose. The MX3 was snug all over and I was concerned by slightly less depth and that it might not open up enough after baking. Does the area around the ball of the foot widen after baking? The Nexus 8000 was snug all over but with a little more room across the forefoot and ankle. My foot could sit completely flat in the skate but not loose but going up a half size might be too much. I have until tomorrow afternoon to change my mind before the open day is over and I lose my discount option. Eeeeek

So I am going to wait for the Nexus 8000 7.5EE to come in and try it back to back with the MX3 7.5EE. Shop said they will honour the discount on either as my size wasn't in to compare at the time.

Should my skate be loose at the top of my ankle or is that just an MX3/Nexus difference?