Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gbo

Help with First Goalie Gear for Youth/Novice

My son (7) is entering his third year of hockey and has been bit hard by the goalie bug. He's always expressed an interest to play nets in various sports (soccer, lacrosse, hockey) and has tried it once and a while but this year he finally got to try it out in hockey with the full gear. He got very frustrated and upset at first when he realized how much harder it is at first skating with pads as he kept falling down while doing circles while expecting to skate as fast as usual. Well after a pep talk and a bit more patience, he was good to go and after a 30 minute scrimmage he came out of it loving it and wanting to do it full time.

So, I'm now at the point where, wanting to set him up for success, I'm looking at buying some gear for him. My thought is obviously safety first but at his age I'm thinking the lighter the better. Looking at pads, glove and blocker, I find I'm leaning towards Warrior Ritual G2 (youth) gear or Bauer Prodigy (youth). I've look at used but he is a Full Right so finding full right youth used stuff is near impossible. Other gear we can get from the team gear.

Any thoughts on these or other suggestions? He's a little over 4'. I figure based on my calculations (floor-to-knee ~ 13.5 to 14") he would be around a 22-23" pad.

On a related note, it's very surprising how few youth/junior hockey equipment reviews are out there (youtube or other form).

Thanks in advance.

It's funny, as soon as I saw the topic title I thought of the two options you already seem to be considering.

The Prodigy line is simple, no frills, and cheap - it will work.

The Ritual line is going to be a bit better quality, which will really be less about the features than it will the durability and the adjustability. The pricing on it isn't too bad, either - I'd certainly take their $100 C/A over the $150-175 CCM.

Ideally, if you have some place you can try one or both of them on, do it.

I would agree somewhat, at this age, all of the gear would be fine but even at this age, the gear would differ somewhat, ie. weight, width of pad, etc. I read the article from the link and basically just got out of it that the Reebok youth line is good but not the same as the big boys/girls use. Which would be true for all of the manufacturers I'm guessing.

We tried on the Prodigy pads but unfortunately there aren't any Warriors locally. I'm curious how different they are in terms of fit. There aren't any breaks in the warriors but I'm not sure how much that would matter at this age. I'm very interested in light and manoeuvrability as I want to avoid him being as wide as he is tall in the gear and having a hard time moving around.

I'd go inexpensive. He's going to grow out of it and the other kids his age aren't shooting hard.

Make sure the C/A fit really well--too big is a major hindrance to any goalie, but magnified on small kids.

Make sure the catcher and blocker are fairly lightweight.

Invest in a good goalie cup--small players don't lift super high, but that is in their elevation range!!

Does anyone here have first hand experience with the Warrior Ritual (G2) youth pads? It looks like there isn't a toe strap on theme from the few pictures I've been able to find online.

Kids don't seem to need the toe strap/toe bridge until they're hitting a lot of butterflies.

My kid never used one last season. She did several clinics this fall and really started dropping and her pads started to rotate on her so she went to the strap.

As a goalie myself, I would say to go cheap or go higher quality but used. Kids grow fast and you might find yourself needing to buy two sets in one year. I would also recommend given the age to make sure his coaches keep him doing skating drills or he plays D on occasion. It will help his all around game to keep up his skating, to often young goalies are forced into "goalie specific" skating or little skating. Good luck!

Being full right might actually work to his advantage, as that's usually all that's left over in clearance sales :)

I've noticed a decent selection of youth/junior full right stuff at Play It Again Sports, and the location I go to is not known for its vast selection of goalie equipment.

If you haven't purchased gear yet, I just went through (this week) the same process with my 6.5 year old. Researching we came across the same Bauer prodigy or reebok pads in the low price point we were hoping to not break the bank. We went to GoalieMonkey to get him fitted and looked at the equipment. The reebok and Bauer Prodigy lines were decent but didn't fit him well. We liked the Vaugn Velocity V6 but were $200 they have outside rolls and breaks that help with movement and flexibility. We decided to think about it and research online knowing his size and how the pads fit we ended up buying a new pair of the Velocity V5 that were discounted to $135 plus an additional Black Friday 15% discount. The V5 is last years model and are nearly identical.

Chest protector we liked the fit of the Warrior Ritual and is adjustable for a good fit and protection we found it on amazon for $20 less than retail.

We went with The reebok Y20 glove and pad as they run smaller the Prodigy seemed a bit cheap

Hope this helps

Thanks for the input. I ended up going with the Warrior youth pads. We'll give them a try anyway. We're nowhere near a goaliemonkey store and really the only thing local was the Bauer prodigy and Vaugn Velocity v6s. I wasn't crazy over the prodigy pads and the Vaughn pads were $230. I'll be sure to follow up with a review/thoughts after xmas. I did order the prodigy chest protector as I found a great deal and I really just wanted something that will fit him well right now. If he still likes it by the end of this year, I'll buy him something better to grow with. He'll definitely be in junior equipment for next year so it works out nicely. I do like the Warrior C/A so I'll keep an eye out for any sales on those in the meantime.

I'm torn between keeping the Prodigy C/A vs getting something else now. I'd love to hear some opinions. My concern is not so much the padding straight on, but there doesn't seem to be anything that cover the top and back of his shoulders.

I work with a lot of young goalies and goalie parents and help them get equipment. Get used over new if possible to save money as they grow so fast.

My equipment opinions:

Chests: I prefer the Reebok and Vaughn chests for youths, there is more protection especially at the upper ribs. The new prodigy chest is better than the old and is fine for house league, make sure that no adults/older kids are taking hard shots at the kids in the prodigy chest though. The arms are the weak point on the prodigy. I wish someone would make a youth chest with full wrap on the upper arms. The warrior chest is not too bad either but has a gap at the armpit/chest. If the kid is old enough to fit junior chests, I really like the Mckenney chests. they are tanks but still very flexiable.

Neck Guard: The bauer reactor neck guards fit youths better than reebok/ccm style.

Mask: Player mask with a neck guard and dangler is fine to start. At least NME5 if getting a bauer, cheap right now on goalie monkey. NME3 is fine for the other kids shots at this age, but not for an errand shot by a coach/older kids helping. If you can find one the Eddy Tusk is the best youth mask I seen. I have several kids wearing these and the fit and short chin are great for young kids looking down. Sportmask is another option or a Hackva if playing rep level. If the kids wants something that looks cool, get some vinyls done for 20-40$. Buy a YOUTH/Jr dangler not an adult one.

Gloves: Brian's youth gloves are the smallest and fine though travel hockey. The Bauer prodigy are about the same size but i'd be concerned about the protection from sticks to the back of the hand. The Warriors are next smallest, then the CCM/Reeboks and Vaughns. Don't fit a junior glove when a youth still fits. I see too many kids with massive gloves that they can't even lift. i even had a 8 year old show up with a senior glove that the parent thought would be better since its bigger. Kid could barely lift it off the ice. Blockers are mostly the same for sizing between brands, the Brian's line is a bit smaller in the palm. DR equipment is cheap but you'll have to beat the cr*p out of it to get the glove to open properly.

Jock: Bauer Reactor Jr fits youth better, Reebok is a bit big, Vaughn is OK. I don't recommend a full time goalie wears a player jock.

Pants: The Bauer prodigy pants are a good first pant. Vaughn 7190 pants fit young kids very well. The only time I'll recommend Powertek is their pants, they are a Reebok Clone that is reasonably priced and hold up well.

Skates: Most youth age are too small for goalie skates (sz 13 min), I have taken some older player skates and had my sharpener flatten the radius so the kids aren't rocking on player skates. It helps them get their balance and stop falling on their knees all the time. Once they fit goalie skates, most brands are fine. Again go used if possible. My son started in Bauer 1000's and now we have a chain of about 6 kids in one half size bigger that trade down every 6 months or so. Don't work about step steel at this age.

Pads: I recommend staying away from cheap stand up old school style pads. The Prodigy's are great cheap modern style pads to start in. The Rituals are great if you can afford a bit more. I like the Brian's H series pads for kids once they fit as the H series is always available used. The usual Bauer (one series of any generation) Reebok/CCM (6/7/8/9K, larceny, 400 series) and vaughns are fine as well. Biggest mistake I see are parents putting kids in pads that are too big too early. Make sure the knee is in the stack, far to often parents try to move their kids to bigger pads and the knee is below the stack. I'd rather see a kid in pads a wee bit too short (near the top of the knee stack) than having the thigh rise digging into the hips.

Knee/thigh Pads: Take the thigh guards off the leg pads and buy a pair of Bauer Reactor Youth Knee Pads. they are 20 bucks are so. The leg pad thigh guards Just get in they way of learning good movement. The knee pads will be better for them. When you get them tie them in a ball for a couple of days to get some flex into them. Much better. As the kids get older, I like the CCM Jr knee pads, they fit small I find, good for 9-11 year olds.

Cruise craigslist/kijiji/ebay for deals. Get to know older goalie kids' parents for the hand me down cycle.

labrite, Thanks for a great post, that was my concern with the prodigy line. My son has small hands and was getting frustrated with the reebok glove and blocker so exchanged them for the Brian's blocker but they didn't carry the catcher so bought the prodigy still not comfortable with the back of hand protection. Just found the Brian's youth catcher online and ordered that waiting to get it now.

Hi gang, I'm pretty new to this goaltending position (I always played out) and I'm looking for advice on the Warrior g2 pads (21"+.5) does anyone have any comments on if the would be good for a 6 year old butterfly style goalie! He currently uses the bauer prodigy pads but I think they are one inch wider per pad and a little bit heavier (harder to skate in). I was wondering without the toe strap on the Warrrior g2 pads will they return to square after a butterfly save when he stands up?

Thanks,

Newbie Goalie father!

Worst thing a hockey parent's wallet can hear is "I wanna be a full time Goalie!". However I never discourage a potential goalie as people who want to have that pressure, especially in a shootout, and have pucks shot at them on purpose are rare. My son is in net and loves it, skates out occasionally but would take net any day. As a goalie coach I want the ADD/ADHD with a slight OCD kid because they're mentally already in the right frame of mind for goalie.

However, back to topic, gear for a 7 year old mite.

At mites your teaching them to track the puck, keeping the body and stick blade square to the puck and the center of the net, very basic angles. I don't even teach butterfly until squirts as most don't have goalie skates and shouldn't really have designated goalies in mites to rotate all the players through it for several reasons covered in the ADM. Therefore keeping that in mind.

Leg pads, honestly, you can use some roller hockey pads or "vintage" leg pads (pads without the large slide surface on the inside of the legs) at this level. You're not teaching the butterfly, let alone a butterfly push until squirt 1st year so that ability to slide isn't necessary. Some may disagree and it depends I guess on the level the kid is playing at but if they're mites, they're going to be in a new size of leg pads by at least squirt year 1 most likely. Real leg pads. Ebay has a ton of youth stuff year round with very little wear. Do your measurements and read the size charts on hockeygiant or goaliemonkey according to brand and go used. Probably find some great Reebok larceny or Vaughn youth for a fraction with no visible wear. At mites, even Mylec is an option. If they're still had charging goalies at squirts sure, get the Warrior Rituals (2012), CCM Flex or whatever your budget can stomach. However I would steer clear of any Bauer with the myflex break pads in them at junior or youth as they break down quickly around the insert hole.

Chest protector, probably go with a Bauer classic youth size just so he doesn't catch one on a bare spot versus roller hockey pads. Relatively cheap and easy to find new or used on ebay or amazon. Compare prices on the above mentioned web stores as some ebay is priced higher than it should be for used.

Pants, again a lot of used or new on ebay in goalie pants youth size that protect without restricting or getting caught in the pads.

Knee/thigh guards, use the ones attached to the pads. They'll age out fast and you'll get junior sized ones for the butterfly at squirt age.

Glove, this one I am a stickler to when it comes to gloves, if they can't close it, it's a pain to even cover the puck which is what they're usually do I at mite age. Reebok 8k to 18k all seem to come broken in. A 7 yr old isn't going to put the time in it takes to break a glove even with all the methods out there, youth age kids are gonna be youth age kids. If they can open and close it, you're gold. They're fingers aren't that strong or grip for that matter so make it as easy as possible to break that claw in.

Blocker, if it fits, protects their fingers from skates and the kid that loves top shelf, and allows them to grip the stick, put it on em. Weight would be my next consideration since they're already wielding a stick.

Stick, go light but not composite. I've seen composite sticks in a youth paddle length and thought no way. Composite (OPS) has a lot of vibration and they'll probably drop it when the puck hits the blade. Make sure it's the right size, this is huge. See a lot of mites and squirts with 24"-26" paddles that are obviously way to big. Size the stick up correctly, you may have to visit a shop as lie and paddle length are different from model and brand. Proper size or at least not too big is important. Foam core, fiberglass, keep it light so they don't get the lazy stick habit you have to break later. Plus the harder you make it to maneuver the more likely it'll end up tangled in the net, their pads etc. during recovery. Can't use it to poke check if you got the Conan sword for the mite either. Don't cut a goalie stick.

Helmet, Itech, any that are approved for Ice Hockey honestly that fit. (At mites honestly you could use a street hockey mask considering puck mass and velocity, but a referee will put em off.) Bib or a dangle is your call. I didn't put my son in a bib (used a dangle) till 2nd year squirts. Mostly since he'd play up to Pee Wee when possible.

Jock, I recommend the Reebok for price and comfort at that age. Nothing crazy or tank like, such as a warrior or Bauer Supreme, just something to have no pain with a direct shot at 40mph and full freedom. Yes even at this age, I have em wear a goalie jock.

Goalie skates, well at this age, tough call. Honestly I'm against a dedicated goalie till squirt age at least because they need to learn ALL the basics first and if they want to specialize in goal at squirts, sure. So goalie skates is kinda a commitment to the position as it takes getting used to, and only a dedicated goalie has need for them as the whole team will not share foot size. If you're letting em specialize at mite age, and they're able to butterfly and are already confident with all squirt age skating, stick and puck abilities as a mite, and if you have money to burn, sure.

Our mite teams have 3 complete goalie sets that they use to dress goalies in for rotations in practice and games. Works well and saves the parents from buying. If that's not an option, I hope I've pointed you in the right direction. Goalie parents have the biggest burdens, cost wise and those shoot outs can easily induce a heart attack.

Congrats on a full right, all your sticks, gloves, and blockers will be about 50% or more off from what regulars pay and always in stock.

Hope I've been helpful from a parent and coach's perspective on this topic.