Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ClinkLight

100 Flex a bad idea for smaller players?

All shots should flex a stick, whether wrist, snap, or slap. Using a stick too stiff will always be detrimental.

No. One of a kind of wrist shoot as sweeping ice is don't use flex, just use shaft speed.

This is really skillful shooting especially to aim at far side so almost people can't shoot without flex.

And also there are people who like less flex as Crosby. They use stiffer stick, straight blade and shoot in front area. Another people who like big flex shot as Ovechkin using wippy stick, big angle blade and shoot from rear area.

I think it's ok to use any sticks, any gears if it doesn't break law or regulation. But we have to choose our gears carefully because it will decide our shooting. Kessel can't shoot his always shooting with Crosby's stick. Crosby too. Ovechkin too.

ClinkLight, you should choose your stick flex by what shooting do you want. If it would need stiffest flex, you should choose it even if people around you would say anything!

Well I could say that I've noticed on wrist shots no matter what flex I've used I don't tend to flex a stick. Maybe it's because growing up I used to rely on pulling my wrist shot and using the curve to get velocity because my sticks were wood or those falcon aluminum two piece sticks. My snap shot I don't even flex a stick much. I have my puck on the toe and snap it off the blade. For my slap shots I usually hit the ice 6-12 inches behind the puck. All of my shots are hard though. I've just noticed more erratic shot placement with 75-77 flex sticks, less control. 95-102 flex sticks I've taken shots where I can FEEL the stick flexing but it isn't noticeable on the ice. I think for me the stiffer flex sticks are less forgiving and I need to connect well but with whippy sticks the accuracy isn't as good. I've used full length 75 flex sticks and I couldn't hit the net in warm ups. I guess there are trade offs but I'm still experimenting.

No. One of a kind of wrist shoot as sweeping ice is don't use flex, just use shaft speed.

This is really skillful shooting especially to aim at far side so almost people can't shoot without flex.

Aside from trying to wrap a puck around a goalie, do you have an example of someone shooting like this? Don't think I've ever seen that.

I have sticks from 87-95-100. There are obviously advantages to each. With the 95 and 100 flexes i get more pace on my shots but they require more setup, balance etc. My feet and mechanics have to be spot on to get the most out of those sticks. I have a fairly heavy shot, probably comparable to an average NHL player but the stiffer sticks are less forgiving to an amateur like me. The 87 allows me to get a hard shot off easier not just because of the flex but it also doesnt require as much setup and mechanical technique. I use the 95 mostly but i do miss the ease of the whippier sticks at times.

Well I could say that I've noticed on wrist shots no matter what flex I've used I don't tend to flex a stick. Maybe it's because growing up I used to rely on pulling my wrist shot and using the curve to get velocity because my sticks were wood or those falcon aluminum two piece sticks. My snap shot I don't even flex a stick much. I have my puck on the toe and snap it off the blade. For my slap shots I usually hit the ice 6-12 inches behind the puck. All of my shots are hard though. I've just noticed more erratic shot placement with 75-77 flex sticks, less control. 95-102 flex sticks I've taken shots where I can FEEL the stick flexing but it isn't noticeable on the ice. I think for me the stiffer flex sticks are less forgiving and I need to connect well but with whippy sticks the accuracy isn't as good. I've used full length 75 flex sticks and I couldn't hit the net in warm ups. I guess there are trade offs but I'm still experimenting.

With lighter flexes you need to feel the stick load and time the shot release with the kick of the stick. With stiffer flexes, that becomes much less of an issue, as the stick isn't kicking as much (or at all in some cases). You need to take more time to get used to the way a lighter flex stick loads and releases if you want to be effective with it. Stiffer flexes are easier as you can get away with less practice on your technique and just muscle through the shot. However, the harder you grip and more effort you have to put into your shot, the less accurate it will be.

Aside from trying to wrap a puck around a goalie, do you have an example of someone shooting like this? Don't think I've ever seen that.

That is not almost same as ordinary wrist shoot at seeming. But I'm using it as it is completely different shooting. And also I was taught this shooting from a coach of Vancouver so I think that probably there are players who use the same or similar shooting without me.

The different point is that don't scratch the ice. Of course we can't shoot touching with the ice with stick blade but it would be the same if we would strongly scratch the ice and put our weight to the stick. The reason why this shooting can help us is that we can shoot this shot if only we make axes of the body. If we make it, we can shoot wrist shoot while we are skating cross over.

My Nexus 1000 102 flex showed up today finally. I'm planning on putting a 1 inch extension on it because I play D. I'm not sure if that's considered a long stick for a 5'9 D man but it should be around a high 90s flex at that point.

Weight is only going to be a small part of the equation. Particularly if when you say small there is any height connotation attached as for every little bit you have to cut down the shaft there is going to be an increase in effective flex rating due to the shortened lever arm involved. The other issues that will come into play and not necessarily in this order are shot mechanics, favorite type of shot (slapper, snapper wrist), player skill, and a host of others. Plus look at Brett Hull he played most of his career in the 200lb+ range with some of the best shot mechanics you will find but often played with a whip flex TPS stick that would scale out around 75 flex based on everything I have ever read.

He used a lighter flex than that ;)

I used the nexus 1000 102 flex for the first time today and honestly it was noticeably stiffer than my buddies 87 flex but I really felt that it was a give and take between the two.